“amazing art”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“amazing art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

we got to the island with no idea of what to expect. no one spoke english and there were no signs we could understand. what an adventure! we got on a bus and it dropped us near these odd low white shapes, the buildings of the Teshima art museum. no photography allowed, but it would be hard to explain even with pictures. it is a mediative place, a synthisis of the wind and water and the artist and architect's visions. probably it is not for everyone but for us, it was the peak experience of our three weeks in Japan.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank dianoo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“Sanaa, how do you do it?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is the most sublime place I have ever experienced. It is impossible to describe, but if you want to truly experience the merger of art and architecture and nature, then the Teshima Art museum is the one place you must must must visit. I will let you go and discover the little secrets of hydrology that are buried beneath and on the floor of this immaculate little cornet temple that the engineers said couldn't be built. But it could and was and is so fine that you will not want to leave. Find a spot on the floor, be careful where you sit, and just contemplate wind water and the incredible whiteness of concrete.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Constant_traveller45
tokyo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“MINDBLOWING! The best artpiece/museum I have ever seen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I hesitate to write too much into detail because I think it's best to go there with absolutely no idea of what to expect...which was what happened in my case. I went there thinking it would be a stereotypical museum with art pieces on the wall. Boy, was I wrong!
It's unfathomable how the artist can actually come up with the concept for the art piece and had the architecture build around the work.
I really don't want to spoil the experience for future visitors so I won't say anymore!
Just that if you ever go to Naoshima...do make the side trip to Teshima. The bus schedule is very inconvenient so we booked the ONE taxi guy on the island to fetch us around.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank trippy_galTokyo
Palmerston North, New Zealand
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“So strange, so moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I just saw the comment "the best moment of 2011 for me" - I think I have to agree, albeit 2012. This is a very surprising place, it does what the best art does, and takes you to another place, ambience, way of thinking/feeling/being... I could have stayed here for several hours... I think you won't really understand it until you go... but water, space, time, movement, breathing, sky, flutter, still... and feeling these things in a different way than you would usually think about them...
irresistable and compelling!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank tsubasani237
Bucharest, Romania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“the best moment of 2011 for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

i cannot recommend this enough: an amazing collaboration between an artist and a starchitect. this "museum" is from the future :) leave all expectations behind and be open to have a breath-taking experience! i hope i will go back again!

Visited March 2011