“Wonderful Ryokan Experience..”

Ryokan Kato
Lagos, Nigeria
“Wonderful Ryokan Experience..”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a group.

Superb experience, beautiful facility and wonderful location and scenery.

Our room had its own toilet and washbasin, was facing the forest and very quiet and comfortable.
The communal bathing areas and hot springs are excellent and clean.

The reception and general areas are very welcoming and dinner was superb.
Breakfast was served in their coffee shop directly across the road.

A very nice touch was that they had written our names on a board outside at the entrance.

It was a true delight to stay here and we have fond memories.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yokosuka, Japan
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have to highly recommend this Ryokan for the truly authentic and personalized Japanese cultural experience. Our family reserved 2 rooms for me, my husband, and 2 teenagers. The location is perfect if you love nature. We are living in Japan currently, but do not really speak Japanese. Often we are observers of Japanese culture but can only be peripherally involved due to our inability to read and speak. The owners of the Ryokan speak enough English yet keep your experience true to Japanese culture. The service is perfect. The baths are wonderful. The food is amazing. The scenery is breath-taking. And there is parking!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank laurabenn8
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 18, 2012

When my wife decided to include in our Japan trip a little place call "Yoshino" I was more than worry. We don't speak japanese, the way to go was long and difficult and there were not so many accommodations available to book in english. We took the Cable Car and we went to the left. After crossing a little orange bridge I saw in the door of a small japanese style house my wife's name. That's was probably the only way I was going to find the place. After that, everything was amazing.

The staff was great. There english was almost nil but extremely generous and great body language. The hospitality experience was amazing and very enrich. We lived a true Ryokan experience and the spa bathroom with the hot springs were fantastic.

Is not a cheap experience but is a must if you really want to experience some japanese culture at it most in a magnificent place.

Room Tip: Toilets are common but extremely tidy and japanese style. If you choose 1st floor rooms you would ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMartinSDXB
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

The one night I spent at the Ryokan Kato was booked for me by my japanese friend who works in the area. This is a fine traditional hotel/inn built entirely in wood. We were welcomed with some cold tea and a sweet pastry which was nice after having journeyed six hours from Tokyo by train. My room was large (14 tatamis), highly zen and facing the forest. It was so quiet during the night, a real treat for those like me that are urban born and bred.

There was no shower adjacent to my room but I had the pleasure of using their traditional hot bath facility. Very simple, first you shower yourself and then you emerge yourself in a hot bath/pool located inside or even outside. After being fresh I've changed into a Yukata (a casual summer kimono) and had dinner there with my friend and his wife. The dinner was delicious and the land lady came to see us at the end of the dinner to offer us some wild honey they harvested in the morning from their own bee hive.

I concluded this great evening by playing with the land lady's children and having fun with an app speaking a few japanese usual sentences! As you will have guessed from these few words, this place has tradition and is extremely friendly and family oriented. It was a true delight and a great experience for a European like me discovering Japan for the first time.

I've fond memory of my stay and strongly recommends it. The Ryokan Kato has been a family business for 7 generations and I hope the sotry will continue for another 7.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed in the annex. The rooms are very soundproofed, and have private toilet and sink. They are very large, with a lovely view
The hot springs was lovely. The food was a baby hot pot, and the dinner was vey vey good.
All in all, an excellent plac to stay

Room Tip: Annex is excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank familySeattleWa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yoshino-cho
Nara Hotel
#7 of 19 in Yoshino-cho
Sakoya
Sakoya
#17 of 19 in Yoshino-cho

Been to Ryokan Kato? Share your experiences!