“Notes from an Off-Season Traveler”

Kawazu Zakura (Kawazucho)
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Kawazu-cho
Tokyo, Japan
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 348 helpful votes
“Notes from an Off-Season Traveler”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went to Kawazu in October poorly prepared -- with nothing except my goal to see the Izu Odoriko statue. After getting out of the train station, I tried to figure out how to get to the Seven Waterfalls by bus like it said on the websites. I got the impression from a sheet of paper posted on the train station's bus stop that the bus wasn't coming for an hour (I'm Japanese illiterate, was utterly alone, and didn't realize my destination was nine kilometers away), so I naively/foolishly decided to walk until I see another bus stop and went in the direction of the falls (which is behind you when you get out the train station door). Just follow the river, I told myself. There will be maps!

This is how I got to the sakura lanes of Kawazu.

The cherry trees line the banks of this river on a three and a half kilometer stretch of vehicle free pavement. Canola cover the banks below the trees. It should take your breath in the spring, but even in autumn, it was a place of well-manicured beauty. A great walk in a clean and safe environment.

By walking in the sakura zone (pavements running along both sides of Kawazu's river), I missed taking the bus to the falls, since the bus stops are on the road for vehicles running parallel to the sakura zone, one block away. I eventually got to a bus stop after the sakura zone ended.

Along the way, there's a free foot bath, an onsen (didn't try) and the tourist information area (didn't see). English directional signs and maps in Japanese will show the way. I didn't see a lot of people walking along at 12:30 PM so it was nice in a lonely kind of way.

If you have time to walk for about an hour, apart from checking out other Kawazu destinations, you should try this. Note that buses pass by the stops in almost one hour intervals (can't recall exactly how long; I waited for mine for over 30 minutes).

Visited October 2012