“Dreamy place for total chillaxation, not far from Tokyo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Izu-Imaihama Tokyu Hotel

Izu-Imaihama Tokyu Hotel
“Dreamy place for total chillaxation, not far from Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I cannot say how happy I am that I followed the recommendation to come to this place by an old school friend, a Tokyo native. My first instinct had been to spend the pre-work days in Japan by doing the 'obvious' sightseeing in Tokyo, Kyoto etc but then I realised that I was not up to exhausting temple-gazing in the humid heat of July in these parts. Imaihama Tokyu resort can be quite easily reached from Tokyo or anywhere else in Japan for that matter, the train network being so excellent. In my case, I had had a couple of jetlag recovery days in the fairly nondescript seaside town of Atami before taking a local train here. The local train stops very, very close to the resort at the Imaihama-Kaigan station, so close that I was able to walk the 300 or so meters with my two small suitcases. If you take the train to the larger station, there will be shuttle bus from the hotel to collect you at specified times (check the hotel website for details and beware that this service only operates morning and afternoon and does not extend until very late in the evening). The hotel is really a resort, I am guessing it dates from the 1990s and some of the interior decor is perhaps slightly dated but much of it has been modernised and overall it is very pleasant, well laid out and absolutely immaculately clean (as are most places in Japan, to be fair). My room was very comfortable and large, with a good bathroom and the Japanese-style singing-dancing toilet...plus nice Japanese style tea-making facilities, TV, good-quality wi-fi, lots and lots of slippers for indoor and outdoor use, and lovely kimonos to use as dressing gowns. I was perhaps slightly unlucky to arrive just before the aftermath of a typhoon passed the area, but the hotel staff were so organised about everything that I did not worry in the slightest. I was very lucky in that the typhoon passed the area at night and I did not really notice anything, and woke up to clear blue skies in the morning. The beach in front of the hotel is lovely, but quite small, so you wil not be able to go for an extended walk, but it was enough for me to paddle and relax in the sun. The waves seemed great, perfect for anyone interested in body-surfing, and I saw some people doing this. There is also a lovely pool, but it was quite busy with kids (the place is very child-friendly, it seems, and the presence of kids did not bother me at all - Japanese children seen very well-behaved and considerate). On a hot day, the hotel puts out hammocks and lots of sunchairs/sunbeds so it's perfect for sun-bathing. I was so happy here that I did not venture anywhere else, and ate in the hotel's restaurants, one Western-style and one Japanese, both very nice but the quantity of the food being greater in the Japanese place. The breakfast is the best value here although I felt it ended a bit early (10 am). The food is very good, but perhaps a tad on the pricey side for dinner, and in the Western restaurant I had a hard time explaining to the waiter that I wanted white wine with the fish courses and red with the meat courses...I think the Japanese like to stick to one type of drink over their meals (??). I gather there are lots of restaurants in a nearby town you can reach by taking a short train ride, but I felt no need whatsoever to venture away from this paradise during my short (2.5 days) stay. The hotel staff have very limited English too, but if you are as unfailingly polite and persevere like they do, you will make yourself understood. The hotel also has onsen-style baths (separate for men and women) which are free to use for guests - in fact the opening hours are rather wonderful as they mean that you can loll in the outside hot water pool in the middle of the night (they only close the pools from 11 am until 2 pm for cleaning). There is a really impressively authentic Finnish sauna, too, but I did not go in as it seemed really hot. As in all these onsen places, the nudity among members of your own sex is taken for granted and in fact expected because you are supposed to clean yourself thoroughly before getting into the pools. The aromatherapy department is fantastic - I had an excellent if rather strong reflexology foot massage that really got the toxins out of the system, and relaxing aromatherapy facial. For a very nice resort I thought the price of two nights plus two treatments, two dinners with some drinks, plus some snacks and one full breakfast, at 550 euro in total is not bad. All in all, I am heartbroken that I have to leave today, and can only hope to return one day!

Room Tip: It seems to me that all rooms are beachfront, with balconies facing the sea, but it might be worth s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Virpi T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The room was standard with relatively comfortable beds and a great view of the ocean. Considering we were there off-season for the beach, it was an expensive stay. They ran a shuttle to Kawazu for the cherry blossom festival but they stopped early, cancelling the one that would return after the trees are lit up. We ended up taking a train back from town which was okay except there aren't really sidewalks between the station and the hotel so it was scary in the dark. The hotel restaurants were very expensive and we couldn't find anywhere to eat in Kawazu so were glad to have brought bread and peanut butter with us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank TaraBelle1069
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel was a great and unexpected find and I spent only 1 night here with my girlfriend during September. Having spent several years in Japan and tried various hotels on the Izu peninsular, I was very pleasantly surprised with my experience at this hotel and overall feel it deserves a "Very Good" / "Excellent" status, based on value for money, service, setting and views. The only negative point is probably we experienced was the typical feature of many hotels in Japan (especially ones outside of Tokyo) - that the bars and restaurants tend to finish quite early - 10pm is fairly typical. Having said that, we were really there to enjoy the beach setting and to relax - this hotel scores very highly in both regards. The staff went out of their way to be flexible, and for instance let us play billiards after midnight - which is quite unusual here - though billiards for an hour cost 2100 yen seemed quite high. I would definitely return there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the ocean and have fantastic views - its and 8 storey building and we stayed on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed there for 2 nights (Fri-Sun). We both needed to escape from Tokyo and relax, and this place was perfect. Despite being a weekend in mid June it was fairly quiet. Took us several hours to get there by train, and I highly recommend getting there before the fast trains to Kawazu stop, otherwise you'll have to spend about 3.5 hrs from Tokyo taking local trains.
Hotel staff were very friendly, but if you don't speak Japanese you may struggle, and thankfully my girlfriend is fluent in Japanese. The room was very clean, and although not ultra modern, it was nice. Maybe 15 or more years ago it could have passed as a luxury hotel, but would need a makeover to be in that category now. The ocean views from our balcony were spectacular, and the location of the hotel right on the beach is a big advantage. There are several places to eat at the resort, and food was of a good quality. The only negative was that we both couldn't stay for another day or 2. Would recommend this hotel as a nice place to go for a romantic getaway/relaxing break.

Room Tip: request ocean view room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in August. Weather very hot and sunny and the hotel's beach is
wonderful. Good swimming in warm sea. We wanted a relaxing seaside hol after some
travelling and this was a perfect place. 3 hours by slow train, but most interesting, from
Tokyo Station on the Odoriko Superview. Picked up by hotel minibus at Kawazu and on to
the hotel about 2 miles away. Great huge bedroom with lovely balcony. Very comfortable in
every way.
We were probably the only couple without children staying at this time of year as it is a fab
place for families (we are grandparents so appreciated the well behaved children all around!).
We never used the pool - only the lovely uncrowded beach - as the pool area was very
child centred and crowded. The three restaurants were lovely, especially the Japanese
traditional and the beach barbeque restaurant. The 'European' style main restaurant was
fine, but a bit lacking in atmosphere and wine at £100 a bottle (for nothing special) was in our
view OTT. Never went to breakfast as we did our own coffee and cakes on the balcony -
Definately a hotel for people who want a non tourist type destination as very little English
was spoken by the staff and no English menus available. Staff so kind and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to overlook the sea. Probably better to have a high room unless you want immediate...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catlover013
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is a luxury hotel without any feeling for service. The check-in took 20 min. We had to book the dinner when we booked the room, and choose 6 PM. We wanted to change it to 7 PM since I got a phone conference to deal with. This was impossible. The buffet for lunch and breakfast involved some serious queuing. At the pool no service. You have to walk indoors to a machine and get your drink. Pick up at the trainstation was perfect though. It was nice to get out of Tokyo, so not totally bad.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Bjornsam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

My friend actually works at this hotel & she made a very great deal thisi time of stay with one of another girl friends gathering when I am home country!!
Room has been upgraded for triple use were enough spacious, it is one of the reson season now is low, I guess? Chef's reccomandble dinner were superb & full of satisfaction as he explained creation of 90% of veggies accent of dishes are from local with freshness.

We had facial oil treatment where my friend works put me totally relaxed & sleep!

Thanks again for my friends & staffs made me deal of this comfortable spa resort with beautiful ocean view room at this trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Emi N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kawazu-cho
Hotel Izukyu
#4 of 47 in Kawazu-cho
Amagiso
Amagiso
#9 of 47 in Kawazu-cho

Been to Izu-Imaihama Tokyu Hotel? Share your experiences!