All reviewswestern breakfastjunior suitetaking careprivate batha great experiencein advancetrain rideocean viewseafoodbreakfast and dinnerhot springslimitenglishfloorlobbybathscoast
Reviewed October 8, 2017

We were being so well look after. The view from the hotel lobby is stunning and the hotel room is a mix of Japanese + modern style. Bose CD player is supplied with very relaxing music. I will highly recommend to include the meal in your package and they will have a dedicated staff to bring in the food into your room and set it up for you.

Room Tip: A luxury Japanese Onsen Hotel experience
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank hmlaw
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I can say many great things about this hotel. The views from the lobby, through giant windows and out over the ocean, are beautiful. The train ride down from Tokyo, along the coast, was lovely. The Japanese-style rooms are a great experience, and we slept like logs on the futons with super-comfortable bedding and the sound of the waves coming through the window. The breakfast was delicious and incredibly elaborate. Service was super-attentive, with so many people taking care of room set up and meal service. You can get picked up at the train station by the hotel van. All of the staff were friendly, helpful, and polite. The private bath suites (each guest gets a free one-hour session) are gorgeous and very deluxe, and the public baths are also very nice - though be forewarned, swimsuits are not allowed!

On the negatives side - although our room faced the ocean, it was set back over some other roofs of the lower floors, and there was no balcony, so we did not really get much of an immersive "ocean view" experience from our room, as we had expected. And the biggest negative of all is that there is really no outdoor space at the hotel at all, other than the small outdoor baths (which are still behind a fence / under an overhang). The hotel is basically sandwiched between the road and the ocean. You will spend all of your time in your room, in the baths, or in the lobby. For me, I felt much more confined than I had expected/hoped If you want more of an outdoor Ryokkan/Onsen experience, with gardens and other outdoor space, you should go somewhere else.

One word for vegetarians - they cannot prepare a vegetarian dinner option, and the dinner is supposed to be a big part of the experience. We checked in advance and knew this so we brought some snacks for dinner and enjoyed the Western breakfast, which was mostly vegetarian.

Room Tip: Ask for either a high floor or a room that is not set back from the ocean - better to avoid having a view directly out over a lower roof.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed May 6, 2017

Okay, I have resisted reviewing this place because I wanted to keep it a secret, just for me, so it would not sell out when I want to go back..My family of 3 stayed here with 2 friends visiting from Europe for 2 nights; we had a large suite and a junior suite so we could all eat together. The views from the lobby and the rooms are magical. The sounds and scents of the ocean and tatami created a serene atmosphere that could be reproduced only in a few places. The food was outstanding, some of the best I've had in Japan. (we did the seafood not the beef). Breakfast was traditional Japanese too, which was...interesting... but still delicious...(full disclosure we are 2 Chinese and 1 German and 1 Swiss and 1 American) The Chinese did better with the breakfast than the non-asians, not due to lack of deliciosity, but rather ingrained, hard to break, habits of childhood... i.e. a whole crab for breakfast, when one grew up eating Cheerios. They do offer a western option for those who are less adventurous eaters in the morning.

It rained during most of our Fuji / Izu trip, yet the hotel was still lovely, the staff was charming, the private onsen were wonderful and a different experience each night. The rotenburo down the street by the ocean is a must do experience. I want to go back here but it is already often times sold out - so the secret is already out.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious!
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

I stayed a night here, I enjoyed the cuisine, though there were unforgivable faults which would deter me from ever staying again.

First, upon checking in the man who carried my bags noted the bottles of wine in one and said there would be 2,000¥/bottle corking fees for drinking wine in my room... In my room. In my 70,000¥ a night room, I can do as I please. if i had brought horse urine it would be without charge or incident since, it was my room for the night. I've never been told such a stupid thing at a ryokan of this caliber before, and I've been fortunate to stay at many throughout Japan. Second, what was this person doing going through my things after offering me assistance upon checkin? Third, when I travel in style, I travel in style. That means good wines, good champagnes, or other good spirits that would be difficult if not impossible to order within a Japanese Ryokan. What I drink in my room is entirely upto me. My girlfriend explained that the wine was for a different occasion (this was untrue), yet she was entirely hesitant to enjoy herself before/during/after dinner (which was excellent though it is to be expected at a ryokan of this level). We argued over my being able to enjoy a glass of wine, in my 70,000¥ room (which did have a good view), it ruined the experience for us.

Not getting over the incredibly rude and uncalled for service upon checkin, this individual should be fired.

That and the four private onsens, which could only be reserved one at a time were entirely taken the night/morning we stayed. We were only able to see one of them, the public baths on the first floor were totally unremarkable for a ryokan at this price point.

No thanks, not again !

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravelTheWorld_Tokyo
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

This is located at the seaside hotel with sea view in every room. They served breakfast & dinner in your room. The food was delicious and beautiful. Thanks to Junna- chan for taking care of us for the two night stay. They have 2 public onsen, 1 for women & 1 for men. It will switches around so we can try both onsen. They have 4 different private onsen with views.
They also provide pick up & drop off at the train station but need reservation. They are very warm welcome, always there when you need help them. This is really memorable & excellent of service, food onsen hotel. We are planning to visit again end of this year.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends