All reviews ocean view toiletries ryokan dinner izu
Reviewed June 4, 2017

We were heading to Shizuoka and decided to take a detour to Izu peninsula to experience this ryokan.

Overall, we had a good experience here staying for 1 night. The Onsen (we've tried a handful) has one of the most scenic views facing the pacific ocean. The amenities / toiletries of their bath house had generous selection of facial products, facial cleansers, etc. And a massage chair to use at your disposable was nice to have. Overall, it's clean, has spectacular views and feels very private.

The rooms were traditional Japanese tatami rooms, also facing the ocean. Very relaxing and peaceful. We love the loose leaf japanese tea they had in the rooms.

Breakfast and dinner were included. Although they were ample, and spent a lot of time in meticulous preparation and variety, we didn't quite feel 'full' after dinner. Mind you, we've had Kaiseki meals before. We just felt that the food selection wasn't as exceptional compared to others. A lot of seafood to grill, a few were still alive (so, definitely fresh!), but literally still moving on our plate..lol. Maybe not for the squeamish.

Also, we came on a Sunday. The town was very quiet and felt very remote with nothing else to do, or see. Actually, it felt like ghost-town. We did go for a walk along the ocean, which was nice.

Overall, it was very relaxing. I think 1 night was sufficient. A great place to getaway from the city, if you're from Tokyo...or if you happen to be in the way to Shizuoka or Izu. It is a bit of a detour though...and relying on a public train took a while. The hotel picked us up at the local train station, which was nice.

Fumi, one of the staff members was extremely accommodating and helpful. He spoke English very well.

Overall, we liked it, but not sure if we would go out of our way for it, given the location and remoteness of the town.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

It took me a while to get to this place, but when I arrived, I was not disappointed. The Hotel is obviously well kept, clean and modernized. Wifi is available for free.

I had called in advance to have the shuttle driver meet me at the train station. There were several drivers greeting guests for the ryokans right outside the ticket booth. (The signs are in Japanese, btw)

Once I was dropped off, I was ushered to their lounge for some tea and snacks. The lounge is located on the street level (2F) and has a wonderful view of the ocean. What a nice way to take a breather!

I was upgraded to a western-style room on the 4th floor. Very roomy (for Japan). The view of the ocean was even better than the lounge!

Now, about the bath, on the top floor (5F). After a thorough washing, it was time to head to the outdoor bath to soak. The timing was perfect--right during the sunset to my right. The view of the ocean was great (again) and the cool November breeze allowed me to stay in the bath a bit longer than usual.

If you are looking for an outdoor bath with an ocean view. You can't beat this one

For dinner, it is served in the 1F restaurant. You are assigned a private booth with shoji doors around. As for dinner, it was good, but not exceptional. Probably the only disappointment. I thought the breakfast was better. If you are not ready to eat fish (sashimi and cooked), don't bother coming here--or for Japan, for that matter.

Would I go back again? It's a definite yes!!

Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2015

We got recommended this ryokan from friends who'd stayed here and went all in for a traditional Japanese experience. We were met with tea and cake and beautiful views over the ocean, before being showed to our room. We booked a room with a private bathtub on the balcony and had some wonderful hours just relaxing there listening to the Pacific Ocean waves crashing into the shore. The dinner was probably the most authentic experience I've ever had. I cannot say my Western palate was used to all of it, not even half of it, but it was fun to try, and the lady showed us how to eat the different dishes. I'm pregnant so ended up grilling all my sashimi (probably breaking a ton of rules there), but she was just laughing at us. We had Japanese breakfast as well, and again - not something I'd eat every day, but it completed the experience. The futon beds were rock hard, and not very comfortable, but again, if you want to go all in on the Japanese, this is the way to do it!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a room with private tub on the balcony
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2015

Highlight of our tour. We were looking for the traditional experience of a ryokan including the kaiseki dinner. They more than overdid it for us. Made it a very special dinner celebration and a memorable time for everyone.

Room Tip: Plan ahead for a regular room, one with your own furo, or a suite-sized room.
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robert I
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Enjoyed myself very much. Very good service and very beautiful place.
The rooms had a super awesome ocean view. U could hear e crashing waves all day long. The bath had an array of toiletries and is really pretty day and night as it faces e ocean too!
Dinner was lavish with abalone and all. Breakfast was sumptuous too.
Everything was just so perfect. Great stay, u won't regret it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends