See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 12, 2017

This hotel, the only hotel located within the Shiretoko National Park, did not open for business in 2017. When we went by, the hotel was boarded up. No hot springs were operating at the hotel, and the Iwaobetsu hot springs were also closed. The fellow operating the Kinoshita mountain hut next door said that the hotel had been sold and that the new owners might reopen it in 2018, Do not go without reservations, please check to see if the hotel is reopened before you go. Visited 9/22/2017.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnD209
Reviewed July 14, 2016

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights during a 2 week Hokkaido trip. The Chinohate reminded me of the Budapest Hotel: a bit of former glory, doting staff, and traditional Japanese dinners with an abundance of seafood - crab, several sushi courses, fish, shrimp, scallops, roe.... and all the other pickled and salty sides. The outdoor onsen pools in the woods were a highlight, though I couldn't help looking over my shoulder for bears. There is no internet and I had no cell service, so it was a digital disconnect - not a bad thing unless you need to be available. If you have a car, which we did, it's a great location for hiking Mount Rausu, and also for exploring the area. All in all, a good experience and I would stay again.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed July 10, 2016

We stayed there because we wanted to stay in the park and hike early morning. Location if perfect for this if you want to climb all the way to mount Rausu. Serious 10 hour hike. If you are an occasional hiker, don't bother. This place is very old style, offers no flexibility and not much advice either. Food is served ryokan style set breakfast and dinner. Plentiful but very average quality. Rooms have seen better days. Ours reeked of smoke and we had to keep the window open all the time (Ok in summer). On Sen could be really nice due to the location, but is is old, not very clean and very disappointing. No internet watsoever ! I travel to Japan every year and always stay in Ryokans or hotels with natural onsen. So, superb location, but definitely in need of proper management and upgrade If you do not need the location, you can stay outside the park (15 min away) for better and less expensive.

Room tip: higher floor with river view is best
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank topkapitan
Reviewed May 22, 2016

I highly recommend this place if you are visiting Shiretoko. It is a very short drive from the Shiretoko go lake or from the nature center, don't trust the estimated time Google map provides on this route. I think the longer estimated time from Google is due to people frequently stop on the way to the hotel because you get to see deer and little foxes. If you drive straight from the lake, it should be just around 10-15 mins.

If you love those hotels in the middle of nowhere, this is the place for you! Our dinner and breakfast were nicely presented and they were delicious. We did not take the crab set dinner but our ordinary set menu had crab too (see photo), just not as much as the crab set menu we saw other guests had.

They have indoor and outdoor onsen, the outdoor one is a mixed onsen. We were lucky that no one was using the outdoor onsen. We stayed there right after the golden week so the hotel was almost empty, just us and 2 other couples.

The staff were nice and polite. They helped us with the luggage and when we finished the dinner and returned to the room, they already prepared the futon for us. The room we got was a traditional Japanese room. I did not have an option to select a non-smoking room when I booked. Despite the smoking room we got, it did not have any cigarette odor at all. The room has a toilet but no shower since you are expected to use the onsen.

There is a small bar with manga books and it serves ramen late at night. Outside the hotel, there is a little path to walk to the river and you will see some small outdoor onsen. Overall, very nice place to relax. They have coin operated laundry.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2015

This Ryokan is nestled in the Shiretoko national park, and has excellent food and onsen. Perfect for bushwalking in Autumn, and for enjoying the natural wonders of the national park. There are a number of paths in the forest, and some onsen in the forest as well, but we stuck to the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2015