Review Highlights
great coach , bad weather

the board was more floaty than the one i sucks at , but whatever it is made of , i did quite well... read more

Reviewed April 24, 2024
JJJ473
Fab day out

Danny’s knowledge and easy-going nature was the perfect combo, making my Mother’s Day surf lessons... read more

Reviewed May 10, 2021
Dustin J
Thetford, United Kingdom

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 26, 2019

I had a nice stay at Happy Surfing Okinawa! Danny is a very nice host, and showed me some nice places to eat in the area. He is a very good surf instructor, and I could definitely see a progression, from one day to the next! We had a Taifun swell and with Danny i'm definitly comfortable outside at the reef. Thank you so much Danny! So stoked!! Best wishes from Germany :)

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

I highly recommend Danny Melhado and Happy surfing okinawa. If you have a developing child or teen and want them to truly learn surfing and go to a high level
I highly recommend. Danny takes the time week in week out to make your teen a top level surfer and brings out the positive energy and confidence. We have been using his services from 2012-2019. In recent years I have seen a number of non certified, unofficial, non surfers, non union, non experienced operations popping up on Okinawa. Be very very careful as you make your selection. Danny is an x world tour and japan pro. Don’t be fooled by the frauds.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank nautica2501
Reviewed June 7, 2019

IF you want to discover Okinawa away from resorts and Naha city, Yomitan is an interesting village where you will find a nice Guest/surf house. The accomodation is clean and fonctionnal, and you leave surrounded by nice boards. The host, Danny, is a former WCT surfer who knows perfectly the island and all surf spots… and this is high value if you want to surf in Okinawa… as officially "there is no waves in Okinawa" :) !!! Danny will take you surfing and find the right place depending on your surf level and motivation, share the session with you and give you valuable advises, whatever your level, from beginner to pro. In the water, everybody knows him… you almost feel like a local ! Danny takes pictures during sessions. You can check the blog on his website. He also knows nice restaurants around his place. I stayed there for a break in the middle of a business trip. That was a great disconnection from work and big cities !!! Thanks for all Danny !!!

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed May 28, 2019

Danny is a super chill, dedicated, surf professional and a great host. His guest house was welcoming, spotlessly clean, very comfortable, and had both friendly shared spaces and a private, comfortable room with air conditioning (I slept like a baby). The shared bath was roomy, super clean, and had spaces for guest items like toothbrushes, etc. so you didn't have to carry things back to your room. The hospitality was great and we both went out for local Izakaya, and he and his girlfriend made a BBQ at home with friends - very fun. His dedication to finding you the best waves of the day was impressive. Our first day was fairly close by and fun, but a bit windy. On the second day, he offered to drive us to the northern-most part of the island - Hedo - in order to get a quality wave. We had a super great time full of stoke. He also took great photos to share with friends. His website has a daily blog so you can see what it is like day to day. He has a really great selection of boards for beginner, intermediate, and expert, so bringing boards is probably not necessary for those coming on a short trip. Danny is also an ex-tour-pro and can offer tips and training for any level. He is very knowledgeable about surfing, life in Okinawa, and will leave you with a happy memory of your time in Yomitan.

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank Leslie N
Reviewed April 15, 2019 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights and had 3 surf lessons. For me it was a life changing experience to stay with Danny. I recommend Danny to everybody who truly wants to learn surf. I had my first surf lessons some months ago when I was in India and I thought my progress is good, but after having my first surf lesson with Danny I know surfing is not only a one time experience, surfing is a lifetime experience. Before I booked my stay and my first lesson with Danny I was a bit scared because of the prices, but please trust me, it's all really worth it. The guesthouse is super cozy and Danny wants always to keep everything very small. So he had only two rooms for 4 people and a small group of people while surfing. The clou behind this, he can really focus on everybody and take care that everybody has a good time. I had a hard time out on the water due the struggling with the paddling, but Danny was extremely patient with me and he always try to push me to my limit. What I highly appreciate while staying with Danny was the time hanging around with him and Hiroko. He showed me all the good places around the area and I had the best Sushi and Yakiniku so far and of course the best pizza from his stone oven :D When you stay with Danny you can have this true surfer experience, driving around the island to find the best surf spots, watch surf videos while having beers with Danny where he try to improve your skills when he show you the photos from surfing for what you do good or not so good. I'm very grateful for this experience and I wish I could come back. Keep up the good work Danny and I hope to see you again sometime.

Date of experience: April 2019