“Best place for family trip!”

Renaissance Okinawa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels / Ryokan in Onna-son
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The room was clean and comfy. View was gorgeous!
This hotel has parking which on the other side of the road but concierge will help you to park.

We purchased a room on the "Renaissance Floor", which had 2 free meal, tea time service, "l'occitane" amenities on the bathroom, free natural spring spa, free drink, and choose pillow from 4,5 different materials, and etc...

That free lunch and breakfast at buffet restaurant(1F) was awesome.
They also prepare a kids buffet as rice(risotto), soups, finger foods, and sweets.

Our 2-year-old was excited to see dolphins, fishes at the water garden and parrots at the lobby. Pool was a bit small but slider was super fun! There's so many activities for adults and little ones, too.

And if you need, there's baby sitter service on request!!

We just loved our stay, was perfect for us. Can't wait to go back this summer!

Room Tip: Any room on 11F.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank holgantrip753

Reviewed January 14, 2012

This hotel was overall fantastic. I have never been somewhere that all the staff seemed to be happy to be working. They were incredibly pleasant. The food at the Buffet was exceptional, we had all three meals and by far the best hotel/buffet I have ever had. The rooms were our only disappointment as they are outdated, however the other hotel amenities help to outway that.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The room was really clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. I stayed there for 4 nights and I had nice sleep every night. My room was close to the roads and I thought it might get noisy later at night. Well I thought too much because there won't be too much cars passing by at night, plus once you close the balcony window you won't get any sound from the outside.

There is a lot of choices to choose what to eat in the morning. From what I remembered, there was 1) Buffet 2) Brunch 3) Japanese set meal. I tried them all when I stayed there. While I was there I enjoyed the beach early in the morning and got back into the hotel to get brunch at around 9~10am. In that case I wouldn't have to eat lunch.

There is an excellent okinawa soba nearby the hotel, three-minute drive. I believe the name is "Yamada Suishaya."

The location was good, as long as if you have a car you can go anywhere you like. The first day when I arrived at Naha airport, we took a day visiting Naha and drove up to Onna-son in the afternoon.

The minor complaint would be that the water activities were all booked when we got there. I wish we can book in advance or at least book one activity before we arrive. The beach in the hotel was a little bit small.

We chose this hotel over Ana Continential at Manza. The biggest reason would be that it is pretty new. Overall it was really nice and would like to come back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Booked a 'Dolphin Room' for the kids and they said it was their 'best hotel ever'. Also considered the ANA, but chose the Renaissance for its indoor pool. Lot's of other kid's activities as well such as a 'sweets room' just for kids. Highlight of the trip was the 'swimming with dolphins' but keep in mind that this requires Japanese language. Breakfast and 2 (!) buffet binners were included in the package that were surprisingly good.
Only drawback of the hotel is the parking on the other side of the main road. They park your car only at check-in, which is not nice when you arrive late from an excursion with a sleeping kid in the rear. At least the bellboy had 'mercy' on us and parked the car for us again, pointing out that it's against 'hotel policy'.
We liked the 'Ryukyu Village' theme park near the hotel much better than the 'Okinawa World' near Naha, the latter seems to be rather centered on gift shops and restaurants.
Do visit Shuri castle and the Churaumi Aquarium and watch the feeding of the wale sharks. We had dinner at the 'Butano Kinobori' 'Porc' Restaurant in Nago (recommended in the Japanese Guidebook) on the way back from the aquarium and the food was surprisingly excellent.
One last word : We rented a car with Orix, but it turned out their rental station is half an hour south of the airport next to an outlet mall that has constant traffic jams. Together with a long line for their shuttle bus it took over an hour untill we finally got the car and 1:45 till we were back on the highway. Next time we'll use a different car rental company.

Room Tip: Get one of the 14 Dophin Rooms for your kids.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank TokyoB
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel last Dec. 11-15 and it was a pleasant exprience. The room was more than enough for two (I'm alone during my stay), with a balcony giving you a view of the Pacific Ocean. The hotel staff were very accommodating, although language is sometimes a bit of a problem - but you can get by with simple English conversation with the hotel staff. Saw a lot of Japanese families having their holiday in the hotel - might be a favorite destination and hotel among Japanese (& Chinese) families wanting to swim and enjoy the beach. Just that it is quite far from Naha City, the center of Okinawa - about an hour away by bus. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience for me!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I was there at RHI Okinawa early this year, as a travel industry worker...I would say this hotel has excellent service even though myself is not traditional Japanese speaker therefore sometimes English is caused me a few challenges for communications however some staff at the front desk always trying to accommodate my requested. Room is nice not that new fashion of decoration but clean and well maintained. Service staffs always smiles and pay attention to customers. I got room including daily meals (breakfast and late lunch) also internet at lounge, accessibility to on-sen. Very recommend for anyone who like to get away from city environment and having relax moment. I will definitely return there again soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Spent 5 nights at the Marriott Renaissance Okinawa Resort in the fall. Perfect resort for families. Small protected bay and beach, lots of activities for kids of all ages. Book through the Japanese web site if possible. The English site does not give info about many of the resort options. For example, if you stay for 4 or 5 nights (depending on time of year), you are automatically given club level which includes free breakfast and many of the water sports/activities for free. These include boat and snorkeling trips as well as various other water sports. Children 5 and under stay free, I believe. If you have young children, it is well worth it to book one of the kids Dolphin rooms. These are the best hotel rooms for kids I've ever seen! Big spacious rooms with all kids of special decor and features for kids. The attached parent rooms are decent size (for Japanese rooms) but are very plain. Our room had two single beds that were extremely hard, even by Japanese standards! Kids had a special pillow top however. English of the staff at the front desk is good but we had to resort to charades a few times in the restaurants and at the activities desk. The dolphin experience program is extensive but pricey. In addition to the the beach, they have both indoor and outdoor pools with slides, a small area with various types of sea creatures for kids to explore, outdoor stands with crafts for kids to do (this cost extra), and a huge enclosure in the bay filled with rays, dolphins and other sea creatures. The resort is not within walking distance of any other hotels/restaurants. In general, Okinawa is very nice but quite pricey and without the dramatic scenery of Hawaii.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Megan07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onna-son
Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort
Hotel Nikko Alivila Yomitan Resort Okinawa
Okinawa Marriott Resort & Spa
Hilton Okinawa Chatan Resort
The Busena Terrace
Hotel Monterey Okinawa Spa & Resort

Been to Renaissance Okinawa Resort? Share your experiences!