“Best place to stay in Nozawa”
Review of Address Nozawa

Address Nozawa
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Been her 1 week now, 1 week to go. ThIs is defeintely the best place to stay in Nozawa for lots of reasons.
It is in the centre of town and all that offers ( including best steamed buns a few steps away) but also only few mins walk to the Yu road and Hikage gondola, or walk up the road to the Nagasaka gondola.
The staff are fantastic. We arrived on cold and very snowy afternoon, helped inside with our luggage and wiped snow off for us! Shown rooms and how to use everything. In regard to reviews on tripadvisor rooms are funky and open plan, as shown on their website. Have everything you need. Generous supplies for breakfast. And something not advertised on the website, they have their own Onsen in the basement if you don't feel like thredging back outside at end of day to go to one of the public Onsen.
Staff, most speak excellent English, if not they go out of their way to make sure they understand your request or question by using the translator on the computer or phoning another member of staff.
Have spoken to lots of people on the slopes or in cafes, restaurants and bars about their accommodation its style, location and cost and realist have stumbled across a gem. Oh and I forgot to mention the free wifi

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Mazzieq
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Mazzieq,

Thank you so much for taking taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay at Address Nozawa including the great service you received from our great front desk staff.
I sincerely hope that we get the chance to meet your expectations on a future occasion.
Kind regards,

Arnaud Devillers.
general Manager.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The rooms were very clean and extremely pleasant, and accessible (even a wheelchair to use), as our family arrived at Address Nozawa a couple of days after I broke my leg. Staff met us at the bus station and were very helpful about getting the family, myself on crutches and all of our luggage into the room as effortlessly as possible. I spent a lot of time in the room as the rest of the gang was still skiing and went for a trip to the snow monkeys, and the hotel was pleasant to be "stuck in". They did provide lots of food for breakfasts, and the kitchen was extremely well equipped. The location of the hotel is amazing,and the restaurant across the street offered a 9 course set menu that was terrific - and they even accommodated vegetarians. The apple filled buns were also incredible... Apparently the onsen was excellent, and extremely hot unless it was snowing heavily. The location of the hotel is terrific as it is right in the centre of town, and a short walk to the ski resort. The family loved the traditional town.

For some reason there was not abundant hot water in the room. They did not empty the garbage or anything, so my husband just took the trash away. they did come by the room eventually with clean towels etc. When you arrive just purchase extra coffee - as there is not enough provided for the coffee machine if you are coffee drinkers. These are very minor things, just ask and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear LindaDarwin,

I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time with us at Address Nozawa. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your experience and that we met your expectations in all the areas of your stay.

Please do come back and see us soon. I have passed on your kind words to my team here.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like other reviewers have stated previously, the hotel is centrally located in the village, ideal for restaurants.....and non skiiers. I'm not sure how they class themselves as a Hotel, as there is no restaurant or daily cleaning service. The psychedelic micro sized elevator opened to original linoleum covered hallways that one would compare to a hospital ward. For a suite that accommodated six persons, we were somewhat frustrated that there was no seperate bathroom and toilet.!! The room lights were so dim, one could only read at the dining table. As others have said, it will have its followers, but our group realise that we would much rather have been closer to the slopes with an outlook from a hotel (with king beds) and walk a few minutes down through the village to the restaurants at night.

Room Tip: The only ones with any view from a window appear to be the street facing ones.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear OzkiwiSidney,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

On our website, you can see, that we are classing ourselves as Service Apartment and we are not offering restaurant service. But in a radius of 100 meters you can find a broad range of restaurant, and our concierge is available to provide to our guest some excellent recommendations.
I’m very sorry to hear that you didn't like the design of our property. We are a 12 room property which was originally a small Ryokan and we have worked hard to give it a modern design and keep the cosiness of the property whilst ensuring that we provide every comfort and thoughtful extra that we believe that our guests will enjoy. Each and every one of our rooms is individually decorated and the lay-out of each room may vary in many cases but we will always try to find the most comfortable room according to each guest's needs and preferences. As you took the elevator, I supposed that you were not in our suite room as the suite is on the ground floor. Our suite room is actually offering separate toilet and bathroom.
For your information, there is no hotel with restaurant offering King Size bed near the ski slope at Nozawa-Onsen. Our place is one of the rare places offering western bedding and we are at only 10 minutes by walk from the ski slope.
I do hope that you get the chance to stay with us again in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place is great on paper. Fab location, good design, self catering, onsen...ticks all the boxes right? Except it just misses the mark. It's such a shame as it could be a great property with a few tweaks here and there.

First the pros:

- Great location
- Rooms are very well appointed - comfy beds (only single beds though, no mention of this when booking), Nespresso machines
- Washing machines and dryers available for self use 24/7 including free washing powder (awesome)
- Free wifi
- Drying room that actually dries stuff (this is a first for me!)
- They provide ingredients for you to cater your own breakfast - loads of eggs, bread, ham, apples, milk, water, orange juice - in fact too much to get through!
- Free meal at a sister hotel included with our booking. They undersold this place massively - it was an incredible degustation meal and we loved it. Definitely take up this offer if it's included in your booking.
- Good recommendations for local restaurants
- Picked us up and dropped us off at station
- There's a kids room downstairs (which we didn't avail of) but had a wii, etc

So reading all that it's probably hard to imagine why they get a 3 star rating from me. Sounds awesome yeah?

Which brings me to the cons...

- Cleaning - we were told our rooms would be cleaned every 3 days. This didn't happen. Come day 3 and the bin in our kitchen was emptied (not bathroom or bedroom bins), no linens or towels replaced and no cleaning of any kind took place. Even after complaining on Day 4, they still didn't clean - we simply received fresh towels. Just not good enough.
- Service. It was rubbish. The staff are, for the most part, very surly and speak little English. Everything was a problem. e.g. upon check in we were rudely told we couldn't check in until we paid in full for our room AND for our friends' room (booked to arrive the following day). Now I have zero problem paying for my own accommodation but to demand I pay for someone else is a little off...
- Nickel and dime-ing - we were given 4 Nespresso pods for the week for 2 of us (both coffee lovers). It's awesome they had Nespresso machines but they made it nigh on impossible to buy extra pods & they don't refresh them. I think they'd be better served providing fresh pods daily and recouping the cost in the room rate.
- Onsen was pretty average and not somewhere you'd want to spend a lot of time.
- Rooms, whilst very well appointed, were clearly done on the cheap and haven't worn well.

Now all of these issues are pretty easily fixed in my mind. They just need to get the right people to do it. Having stayed at numerous ski resorts in Japan I think the trick is to stay somewhere owner run - the experience is just so much better.

Nozawa Onsen isn't my favourite place but the snow is insane and it's worth a visit. Address Nozawa is worth staying at too but just with appropriate expectations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marniemac
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Marniemac,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Address Nozawa.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your rooms and found them well appointed, as well as finding our beds and bedding superb, as these are clearly two very important factors when selecting a hotel. Also, I was pleased to note that you appreciated our breakfast set.

I'm very sorry to read that we didn’t meet your expectation in term of room cleaning. Our policy is to clean the room every 3 days, as we have found this to be environmentally friendly. This process includes changing the bed sheet, the towels, and vacuuming the floor. Should a guest request more frequent service, we are happy to accommodate.

In regards to the staff, I believe the individual you encountered on your initial check in may have not been suited to the task of reception. We have since made changes. I do feel it is unfair to say that most of the staff is surely and speak little English. While we realize that our English is not perfect, as it is not our primary language, both my reception manager and I have very good communication skills in English, and I believe we are fairly proficient. One of the charms of Nozawa Onsen is the fact that this is a traditional Japanese village, where English may not be the prominent language.

It is customary in Japan to pay the balance upon arrival. While this may differ from what you may have experienced elsewhere, it is considered reasonable in Japan. The reason why we requested payment for both rooms is that they were both made in one name and therefore treated as one reservation. Again, this is a Japanese custom and I apologize if you found it offensive.

While I am happy you enjoyed your visit to Address Nozawa, as well as Nozawa Onsen, we strive to improve our service. We appreciate your comments and look forward to improving our guest experience. And we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great size for Japanese rooms,Stayed in Executive orange room for family of four for two weeks in Jan 13. Apartment was trendy and retro style, beautifully clean and warm with massive flat screen TV for watching Sumo in the evening. Great little kitchen with fantastic coffee pod machine, fridge was regularly stocked with fresh milk, orange juice ham and eggs and bread for breaky, very convenient.The hotel is situated right of the main street of town, which is great for getting to restaurants at night, the walk up to the gondola can be a hassle if wearing ski boots but you can leave your skis and boots in lockers on the mountain if required. The hotel also has its own Onsen which was fantastic for easing they tired muscles after skiing all day. Stayed at the Nozawa Onsen hotel the year before but was not as good this one.Would definatlly recommend and stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ian112_13
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Ian112_13,

Firstly many thanks for your kind comments. I was so happy that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay with us especially our fantastic Onsen !!
I have passed on your kind words to all the members of the team.
I hope you will join us again soon.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

First impressions last, unfortunately, and only two minutes after arriving in our room after a smooth check in, we received a call to come down to reception, as we hadn't paid in full. Given that we had used booking service Agoda, where you have to pay in full when you book, I was quite surprised at this. We went down to reception, where we were told we'd only paid for one person instead of two, because the room rates were per person and not per room; on Agoda, however, there was no option for me to select that there was a second person at any stage. The hotel insisted that I pay the outstanding amount, despite my explanations.

We were happy with the room, which was quite spacious by Japanese standards, and it is located just off the main street, so everything is within a couple of minutes walking distance. The Yu-road, an escalator to the slopes, deposits you at the Hikage gondola within 15min from leaving the hotel. We liked the kitchen and dining area, and you are given all of your breakfast equipment on the first day, so you can cook your own when you'd like. The man at the front desk called a restaurant to book us a table when I asked, which was very helpful as it is hard to find somewhere to eat without one. We also really appreciated the hotel's onsen, which is located in the basement. It's a great way to introduce yourself to an onsen without feeling the pressure of being in a public one, and both my husband and I had one each to ourselves (as they are gendered) when we went.

On the negative side, we weren't pleased with the fact that our room wasn't serviced once during our three night stay, despite us putting our 'please service room' doorknob hanger out. Also, the front desk is not attended from about 6 or 7pm at night, there is just a card placed out with a number for you to call someone in case of emergency. Considering the amount of money you are paying, I think that these are issues that must be rectified.

Overall, I would be EXTREMELY careful if you are booking this location through Agoda.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NeonVenables
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear NeonVenables,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on Trip Advisor following you recent stay with us in Nozawa-Onsen. While we are obviously disappointed with your comments regarding the cleaning service, our policy is to clean the guest room every 3 days, but when a client is requesting a room cleaning, we are pleased to do it! We genuinely appreciate your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to improve our service. I am equally concerned with your observations about your booking on our partner website AGODA. And we are investigating on it. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly with specific details and I would be happy to respond. In the meantime thank you for choosing to stay at Address Nozawa and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to show you we can do better.
Your sincerely,
Arnaud Devillers.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We drove from Tokyo using an English GPS and had problems finding the place. The hotel is just off the main shopping street, Oyu street, behind Pasta Di Pasta. We took 2 rooms, the large red suite which is huge and a small green suite. The red room was on the ground floor and the green room on the top (third) floor. We normally ski in Niseko but had wanted something different for a change.The hotel is situated right in the centre of the village. This makes it extremely convenient for restaurants and shops but the downside is that there is no view. It also means that you have to walk uphill to the ski lifts which are about a 10 minute walk away. The staff had a limited understanding of English. Massa the concierge was wonderful but it could be challenging at times to make yourself understood. A lot of the hotels in Nozawa are half board and the range of cuisines available in the restaurants is limited. We went in mid-Dec so the slopes were empty. However the snow was fairly good with a number of bluebird days. The village is gorgeous and full of character. Without fail, we were warmly received in every single restaurant and shop we went to. You felt they were really happy to have you there. Address Nozawa is really the only accommodation of its kind in the village ie. high quality western style accommodation with a partial kitchen. We had a lovely time and I would highly recommend both the village and the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank anya77
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Anya77,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay with us. We value your feedback and were happy to hear that you will recommend our hotel.

It was encouraging to hear that you found our hotel to be nice, centrally located and our staff to be wonderful. (we are working on his English skill).

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.