“Kawamotoya”
Review of Kawamotoya

Kawamotoya
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have just returned from 5 days at NozawaOnsen staying at Kawamotoya. Firstly the staff were lovely and tried their hardest to make our stay as confortable as possible. We were staying on the top floor with an en suite bathroom. We found the room to be large and comfortable. We expected futons and found them to be very comfortable. The ryokan is a reasonable walk uphill to the travelator but as we left our ski equipment up at the lifts we didn't find this to be a problem. Our only disappointment was the lack of water pressure in our en suite. In fact we did not ever use the shower as water simply didn't reach our bathroom most of the time. On a few occasions I had to wait for several minutes for enough water to come through to simply wash my hands. We loved the onsen so I would suggest you save your money and elect for a room without an ensuite. Friends stayed in a room without en suite. They had a heated toilet (ours was an old unheated one) and a hand basin which is all that is required if you are happy to use the onsen. We were given a 30% discount on the additional cost of having an ensuite but as we simply could not use the shower or bath we felt this was not moeny weel spent.

Room Tip: Higher floor have views but very poor water pressure
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback which is genuinely appreciated as we use this to review what improvements we can make to our product and service. I am delighted to note that you felt that you were looked after by our team in general very well and this is absolutely central to our service ethos.
I have noted that you found the shower pressure could have been stronger. We notice since the beginning of the winter season that the water pressure provide by the town became very low maybe because of popularity of the resort this year. We are planning some construction work to improve the water presure in our Roykan for the next winter..
I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had an excellent stay at Kawamotoya in early January this year. The rooms are warm, comfortable and clean, and while you do sleep on tatami mats and shower in the onsen or public bath on the ground floor, it was a great experience to really appreciate the traditional culture of Nozawa. The buffet breakfast serves a good variety of Western and Japanese food, and was the perfect start to the day before hitting the slopes. The hotel manager was very kind and helpful, and the staff provided excellent service particularly in assisting us to make dinner reservations with local restaurants in the week of our stay. I have no hesitation in recommending Kawamotoya and I will certainly book here again on my next visit to Nozawa. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Lissel_P

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at Kawamotoya.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and service we provided you with.

Please do come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We would highly recommend the Kawamotoya. The service was excellent, with nothing too much of a problem. The breakfast was comprehensive and filling. Location is a 5-10 min walk to the travelator and not a drama at all (but it's uphill and a bit slippery so hire shi gear up at the Hikage ski area).

the restaurant is excellent as are most of the restaurants in town, but you need to book any restaurant ahead of time. The rooms were very large and the futons very comfortable. the hot water pressure in our room was fine, but our sons complained of variable water pressure in their room (we were level 3, they were level 4).

The onsite onsen is a real plus. you can add cold water to the very very hot natuaral spring making it very comfortable after a days skiing. Some of the public onsens (one next door) are almost too hot to get in! There was also massage and psysio in the hotel as well!

the snow and skiing in Nozawa-Onsesn was magnificent with 150cms falling in 5 days! we would come back to the resort and also this roykan.

Room Tip: mid level will have a view and water pressure good. levels 4 & 5 have good views but you take a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your stay at Kawamotoya.

I was deligted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed the service you received throughout your stay. I have passed on your kind words to my team.

Please do come and visit us again soon.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Let me start with Nozawa-onsen:
It's s great little city with amazing infrastructure for skiing. Truly incredible, much better than anything you will find in Europe.
The slopes are very good, with plenty of choices for beginners and advanced skiers alike. It's really a great place to go.
Now about the hotel:
I stayed there for 5 nights. The service is excellent. The food might be the best in town, seriously. Get dinner included, you will not regret it. If you're not staying here, book dinner here, you can't find anything like it in town.
Now, the rooms are spacious but they are "Japanese style" which means you don't get a bed, but a mat on the floor. It's not great but it's not as bad as it sounds. The main problem is the shower because you don't get one in you room. You have to go downstairs and shower in the onsen. Now, the problem is that everyone wants to leave at 8:15 in the morning and come back at around 4. Do you get to the hotel after a day of skiing and you go to the onsen to take a shower. There are roughly 20 rooms in the hotel but only 2 showers!!!!!!!!
That is worse than a hostel, plus you have yo shower in front of an average of 3 guys who could be in the onsen, showering next to you, getting dressed, etc all in the confines of a 25 sq meters ( 250 sq feet) room that includes the onsen!
I often arrived to a line of 3-4 guys waiting with another 6-8 using the facilities . That's just absurd . If you must shower at the onsen, they should have at least 5 showers there, and some of them should be private. What if you gave a skin disease or the flu and needs to blow your nose? You don't need to do that in the open right next to people bathing in the onsen .
In the last day there was also no table for us for breakfast so we had to just find a couch on the front desk and eat there.
They also will only make up your room if you hang a notice at the door.
My conclusion is: I would not stay there again, but I would have dinner there every night. You have to book 1 day in advance, though

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Eduardo b

Dear Mr Eduardo B.

Thank you for your review of Kawamotoya

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the service delivered by our team; they do constantly strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations and it is truly what sets Kawamotoya apart from other hotels in Nozawa Onsen.

I have noted your comments about the bedding of your room without shower and am sad that your room did not suit you. Our Hotel is a ryokan which offers a traditionnal Japanese bedding on Futon. And we are receiving a lot of a good feedback from our clients about this type of bedding. You booked a room without shower but the half of our room inventory is including a bath. On your next visit to Japan, I recommend you to book a room with a bathroom, as it's common in Ryokan accommodation to not have a bath in the room especially in a city like Nozawa Onsen, which is famous for his public baths.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you again, and have the opportunity to show you how great Kawamotoya truly is.

Kindest regards,

Arnaud Devillers.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed four nights at Kawamatoya in two standard Japanese rooms and found the room facilities quite basic although the restaurant Tamon provided 2 superb set course dinners the nights we were able to book there and the breakfasts gave a good variety of Western and Japanese fare, including a fantastic locally cured ham. Nozawa Onsen is a beautiful town and we were deluged with snow for 3 of the 4 days were were there making it quite magical for the non skiers in our group. We loved the local shops and restaurants, the steamed dumplings sold on street and found everyone friendly and helpful. Local restaurants are cheap and cheerful but we would advise book every nights meal as soon as you arrive: we found many local restaurants fully booked even on week nights and only one sitting booked.
At Kamamotoya be aware the in house Onsen is closed for cleaning daily between 10 and 4 and as the standard rooms do not have bathroom, it means going out to the public Onsen, which are fun and beautiful anyway. If using the in house Onsen, do so soon after 4 in the afternoon when it is cleanest. During our stay on the fifth floor, there was nearly zero water pressure in the room's sink, the telephone did not work correctly and neither did the wifi, which was only accessible in foyer. The blankets on our futons had plenty of rogue hairs on them and half of the wines on the wine list were not available in the restaurant. All small issues, but cumulative.
Nazawa Onsen is listed on the New York Times 50 places to visit in 2014 and Kawamatoya's Tamon restaurant gets a specific recommendation: we agree with restaurant recommendation but will find the town itself more memorable than the accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't take room on the fifth floor due to water pressure, wifi and telephone issues. Book resta...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank POPs13
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us have your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our location, the quality of our restaurant and in particular our set course dinner, I am most concerned to read of your disappointments with our complimentary internet service. As a result of your experience I will ask for an Audit on signal strength and connectivity and ensure that any necessary remedial action is taken immediately. Please accept my sincere apologies that we fell short in this aspect of your stay. I am even more concerned though to read your review about cleanliness of your room, as the delivery of a clean's bedroom at any time is the cornerstone of our service philosophy. Your experience here runs totally against what the vast majority of our guests regularly tell us. We are not in any way complacent about this and where we can do better we surely will so please rest assured that I shall be following your comments up directly with my team. The low water pressure in the rooms on the 5th floor is due to the increasing the tourism activity in the town this winter and the town is unable to provide us more water pressure. We are planning to solve this issue in a brief delay by adding a pump. The telephones in the rooms are only able to connect with the front desk and doesn't allow to make oversea call. We don't believe that there is a huge demand for call from the bedroom, as most of the people are using internet or mobile to communicate. I'm very suprise about your comment concerning the wine, as I personnaly take care of the wine supply. It was effectively missing one wine reference during your stay, but not half the wines. Finally concerning the Onsen's cleaning, we are effectively closing the onsen for one hour every day for the dailly cleaning and from 10:00 to 16:00 only one day during the week for a deep cleaning.

I very much hope that we can yet encourage you to stay with us again so I can put your above concerns to rest.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Bit of a long story this. We booked for this property via a third party website in June 2013, and it was confirmed. However, while touring in Japan about 2 weeks prior to our booking, we received an email stating that we would not be able to be accommodated for all 4 nights as they were overbooked. It was suggested that we be accommodated in a sister facility for 2 of those nights, and we would then transfer back to Kawamatoya. We weren't happy about this, but we had no real choice so we agreed. The sister property, Yamati, was comfortable enough but was not of the level of Kawamotoya. Arnaud, the local manager tried to make it up to us by collecting us from the airport, and offering us a significant discount on a good meal in the restaurant - this was kind of him and did go some way to making things better. When I discussed it with one of the other managers, she blamed the mixup on the many streams of bookings they get from various sources. I was still somewhat disgruntled though and couldn't help asking the question -- why did WE get bumped, after booking 6 months in advance. Anyway - the hotel/ryokan was pretty good. The futons were better than average, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the in-house onsen was good too. Breakfast was a good western/Japanese mix, and the one dinner we had in the Tamon was very tasty indeed. Service was excellent, and the front desk was helpful in arranging transport for excursions to the snow monkeys and the station.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Andrew Darwin,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Kawamotoya.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our service and found our futon superb.

I'm very sorry that we had to ask you to stay in another Ryokan for 2 days prior your stay at Kawamotoya. The problem came from a double booking on the same bedroom. And as many people are booking one year in advance : your booking was the lastest one for the same room categorie.

Please, one more time, accept my apologies for the inconvenience and please rest assured that we make a point of using any such constructive feedback in the most appropriate way.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Cannot rate the friendliness and kindness that the staff showed us highly enough. From the moment we stepped in they made us feel welcome. The room was a beautiful traditional style with an east meets west buffet style breakfast. They helped us book taxis, lift passes and resteraunts and even with the slight language barrier it was never a problem. The resort was very quiet as it was the start of the season but this meant we had the slopes almost to ourselves and no queuing for lifts! Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnaud D, General Manager at Kawamotoya, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Stickyteas,

Thank you for leaving your kind words following your recent stay with us at Kawamotoya. I was so glad to read that you and your partner enjoyed your Honeymoon stay with us. I was also glad that we met your expectations. I have already passed on your kind words to my great team. We hope to see you once again in the near futur.

My best wishes,