“Outstanding ... Deserves to be No. 1”

Hotel Sierra resort Hakuba
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I usually book hotels after going through TA reviews. I tried booking Aqua Alpine Hotel which was ranked first among the Hakuba hotels but was utterly disappointed that no one replied to my email after 3 attempts. Sierra Resort was the only one that responded the same day and completely helped me with all my queries regarding ski schools, ski equipment rentals, restaurants etc.

I spent six nights here and was totally blown away by their wonderful hospitality. Special mention goes to Ms. Nagasaki who gave my family such personal service that we felt like VIPs.

We loved this place for the following reasons:
1. Warm welcome at the front desk each time I step into the lobby (upon check-in, after returning from dinner/ski etc.)
2. Two staff that spoke good English were identified to me from Day 1
3. Large spacious lobby area where complimentary coffee and drinks were served
4. Because the resort was in a fairly secluded area, complimentary shuttle service could be arranged to anywhere in Hakuba (to restaurants, supermarket, ski slopes etc.)
5. The front desk asked me everyday where I would like to go for dinner so that they can make arrangements for me (I will be dropped off and picked up)
6. On-site onsen (hot spring) that we could use anytime
7. Fantastic view of the snow-capped mountains every morning!

If you are considering a ski trip to Hakuba, I also did the following:
1. book ski lessons on-line before coming (Hakuba Snowsports School)
2. rent ski equipment (the Boarding Co.) - they would deliver the equipment to your hotel and do fitting for ski boots - totally hassle-free)

I will definitely come back again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
17  Thank kaywai

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Last weekend we spent three nights at the Sierra Resort in Hakuba. It is located between the Iwatake and Tsugaike ski areas. The resort is set in it’s own forest and is in a secluded position. The hotel also functions as a country retreat out of ski season. The resort is 4 stars, but it was very nice, for ski standards. It is quite far away from everything, so if you wanted to go to the bars and restaurants it would involve a 15 minute taxi ride.

The receptionist spoke English OK. She was very helpful and polite. We told her we needed skis, and they were waiting for us in our locker on Saturday morning. We arrived around 9pm and after freshening up we went to the reception to find the bar. Unfortunately they had not bothered opening the bar. The hotel seemed very busy, so that was a shame as the bar has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the forest. So we sat in the lobby and had a drink, but it felt a bit weird. There was WIFI in the lobby and restaurant, but not in the rooms.

The room was quite spacious. It was fairly contemporary. It was not stylish but it had plenty of natural light. We were facing out to the court yard. I recommend asking for a room with the view out to the forest. The carpet had seen better days but it was not stained just treaded well. There was a flat screen TV, but no English speaking channels, so we didn’t use it. There was a two seater sofa and a dressing table. The bed was quite hard. We are actually contemplating buying mattress toppers to take with us from now on, as we are going away every other weekend skiing until the end of March, and I am missing the comfort of my own bed.

The bathroom vanity area was a little cramped, but there was plenty of space to put your toiletries. The showering facilities were traditional Japanese. This means that you sit on a little stool to wash. I actually quite like this, so this didn’t bother me. There was also a Jacuzzi bath, but we never used this, as we bathed in the Onsen every day. The bathroom was clean, but quite out dated in style.

The outside wooden Onsen was a nice feature. The changing area looked a bit like it had been knocked up out of some plywood and bamboo shoots. It was a very warming and relaxing experience. It was super hot in there but it was easy to cool down by simply sitting on the edge of the bath, and the cold mountain air worked very quickly.

The view was out to the forest and the tops of the mountain could be seen on clearer days. There is just the one shower area but the ladies was not busy, so I had never had to wait to use the facilities. In fact both times I had the bath to my myself for the majority of my stay. Yet the men’s Onsen was much busier, and more social. The ladies don’t really talk to each other, but the Japanese gents chatted to my husband freely the whole time.

The receptionist told us that the resort has only one restaurant, and serves French cuisine. The internet site informs that they also serve a Japanese ‘Kaisekki’ course dinner, which is apparently served in a 150 year old farmhouse, but we never saw this.

We chose the French ’Saison’ course dinner for Saturday night. The meal was elaborate, but some courses were very rich, such as the Foie Gras with apple, and the braised beef in red wine reduction. Overall we enjoyed the food.

There were shuttle buses coming about every half an hour in the morning and afternoon to and from the ski areas. There was nothing in between 10:30 and 3:30 pretty much, so if you wanted to stop skiing earlier you had to take a taxi. The first morning I found it all a bit of a hassle. But as long as you checked the shuttle times and organised yourself to be ready for then, it wasn’t too much trouble. It was all very organised and the buses were always on time.

We wanted to ski half day on Monday, have some lunch, and then go back to Tokyo. We asked for late check out, and they were very accomodating. Check out is at 10am, and they normally charge 2100 yen per hour. We wanted to keep the room until 2pm. This was fine and they only charged us for one hour. The receptionist walked us to the taxi when we left and waved us out all the way down the drive way. They were very friendly, but not imposing or over familiar.

Looking back on the weekend, the service was excellent. We had a fantastic three days. Would I go again? I think I would prefer to stay somewhere closer to the piste, and the bars and restaurants. I think that I would return to the hotel out of ski season, as then the grounds could be appreciated. With snow you can’t really stroll around the gardens. But overall a very nice ski hotel, and recommended to those in search of ski, but a peaceful location to return to, at the end of the day.

This review is taken from my blog theexpatwife with a com.

Room Tip: Ask at booking for a room facing the forest, not the courtyard. Although not overlooked you will be...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank theexpatwife
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Thank you Sierra Resort for THE best holiday!
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough- their service is Japanese hospitality at its finest. I called ahead to let them know that I was planning to propose and they even arranged a complimentary bottle of Veuve Clicquot and roses.
The buffet breakfast was delicious with both Japanese and western choices.
The rooms were large and comfortable with beautiful views of the snow capped garden.
There is a natural onsen within the hotel which was fantastic after a day's snowboarding.
They booked all of our ski rental and lift passes for us at a great discounted rate- you just pick them up at the reception.
We were asked to choose a restaurant in town every night and the hotel team would make our reservation and drop us off and picked us up when we were done.
It's as if we had our own personal concierge service 24/7. We felt very much at home and extremely well looked after.
Would not stay anywhere else in Hakuba!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank twenty22
Reviewed February 19, 2011

The service really made this hotel. We went in the ski season, and they have an American host who basically thinks before you do - he organises and recommends restaurants, ski fields, sights, transport all of great quality. The setting is beautiful too - and make sure you try out the onsen!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 656y58n
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We had such a great time staying at the Sierra Resort. It was really close to all the ski fields. Must try the degustation menu - well worth it! The staff were amazingly good at what they did. Nothing was too much of a problem and everything was perfect. Will certainly go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brend0nJ0nes
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Coming on short notice and with no gear, Sierra Resort took care of everything and provided one of the best snowboarding experiences I have had. They took care of every need and all you had to do was ask for what you wanted and it appeared! Highly recommended and will stay again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank NavyDudes
Reviewed February 10, 2011

SIERRA RESORT HAKUBA IS AMAZING! WE WILL BE BACK!

Sierra Resort Hakuba is absolutely superb. This resort is fantastic value not only for the accommodation, but also for the experience created by the professional and outstanding staff. From first impressions, to selecting ski parks, to checking out of the resort, the level of service was above and beyond anything we had expected. During our 2 week stay we were enjoyed this outstanding quality of service in such a beautiful setting surrounded by lovely staff. The accommodation is classic and stylish, our two bedroom suite was divine and offered a spacious layout, was very clean and overall the resort was very well presented. The onsen is tranquil and perfect to unwind in after an action packed day on the ski fields. The bar tender made THE BEST cocktails I have had for a long time and was delightful in conversation. The included buffet breakfast offered a fantastic range of both Japanese AND Western options, we have gained so much weight over our holiday as we could not stop eating the amazing spread of food available! The included shuttle bus is a great perk to this resort as you can explore Hakuba without the cost of taxis etc...we LOVED the shuttle bus! Whether you needed to simply use an ATM, go out to dinner, or find a 7 Eleven, Sierra's shuttle bus will get you there, pick you up when you are ready, and there is no worries of getting lost on public transport or paying transport fees.

The staff were enthusiastic at all times despite a minor language barrier (we do not speak any Japanese). Staff went beyond their duties and engaged in friendly conversation with us (even if they only knew a little English) assisting with local knowledge and always ensured that we were comfortable at all times. We felt very welcome and were looked after well.

In particular, special mentions to Josh, who is an oustanding asset to the resort as his attention to detail, level of service and friendly approachable personality transformed our unplanned holiday (due to our typical Australian "She'll be right mate" attitude to holiday planning) into a wonderful experience never to be forgotten. Josh was our first point of contact and is a fantastic international guest relations manager who can answer all of your questions whilst making sure you see the very best of the ski parks, instructors, restaurants, local sights and much more! We had such an amazing time that we are hoping to return to the resort in 2012 with our families and enjoy another extended stay at Sierra Resort Hotel Hakuba. Josh's comedy and local knowledge is priceless and we appreciated all of his fantastic assistance in making sure that we were looked after, even after he had spent the night in hospital having his finger repaired in surgery!

Another special mention to Titsu Kudo San, (please excuse my spelling). Kudo San is another outstanding assest to the resort as he went above and beyond his level of duty as our shuttle driver to ensure that we were happy, having fun and also taught us some local history with a short visit to a beautiful mountain village where together we shared an ice cream. His friendly charm and approachable personality made us look forward to his rostered days on as he evolved from staff member, to a close friend. We were sad to say good bye.

We highly recommending Sierra Resort Hotel Hakuba to all friends, family and travellers heading to Hakuba. Our experience was unforgettable and we were sad to leave the beautiful surrounds and amazing staff.

We are even considering having our wedding at this resort!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple