“Outdoor Onsen is the only pity”
Review of Hakuba Tokyu Hotel

Hakuba Tokyu Hotel
Reviewed February 24, 2012

It's a comfortable hotel. I stayed there for a week. The view is nice and different in the day time and at night. Although I don't like the green colour of the wall painting, the room is comfortable and quiet. The only pity is the outdoor spa/onsen which will be closed if there's snow on the roof. The outdoor onsen is with nice view and comfortable. If you are looking for a hotel with outdoor onsen, I won't recommend this as you may be disappointed when it closed. (Frankly, I don't understand why the hotel is not finding way to resolve the problem!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Hakuba Tokyu Hotel
Stayed here for 3 nights in Feb 2012, rated 5 star, ski resort hotel in Wadano area of Hakuba. Decor has an alpine lodge feel, rooms are spacious with separate toilet. A bit dated but clean and well heated. They have "Tempur" pillows which according to the blurb, uses material originally designed by NASA to distribute body pressure evenly resulting in a more comfortable sleep, they certainly were very comfortable. Staff are very welcoming, we were given a small hot drink of chocolate which was a nice touch. Breakfast was at Chamonix their main restaurant, usual buffet style.
For seasoned travellers, best news is free wi-fi in the rooms and free laundry, flat screen TV with BBC news.
We are not skiers so can't comment with much knowledge about the facilities in the hotel but note they have a ski repair and hire shop in house, lockers, spa, a drying room and devices which use air to clean snow of shoes and ski gear. There is a separate skiers entry so you don't have to traipse through the lobby. Best rooms look like they are facing the woods, we were facing the car park.
There is a free hotel shuttle to pick you up at Hakuba station, we got information centre to call them and they came very promptly. There is also a free shuttle that takes you around the Happo One area including Echoland, an area with many restaurants. There are other shuttles that you around the other ski areas but we did not go to any of them. At night they have the Genki Go shuttle bus that takes you around different areas for as well for ¥200 a trip.
Restaurants, we went to Ohyokkuri, a small Japanese restaurant that serves home made food, speciality is their hot pot, not quite used to this type of J food but it was OK. Also went to Alpine Grill for lunch, very nice Japanese and Western food. The concierge recommended a local restaurant called Kitchen Chou or Kicchonchou (not sure if this is the real name as he tried to translate this from the Japanese. Lovely Izakaya food, luckily had pictures and English menu. Quite hard to find, but about 500m west of Hakuba Station. Also tried Wagyu Kobeya for Wagyu, you cook your steak on a gas grill in the middle of the table, the Wagyu steak is seasoned, sliced so you only need to cook small pieces and absolutely delicious. They have a free pick up and delivery to your local hotel.
Overall - very nice Alpine hotel, loved the snow.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the trees
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mirroden
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Its a standard Japanese style hotel so expect generally only twin rooms, small pillows, usually nearly clueless staff though tried to be helpful, etc. Unexpected side is most staff speak some english including hotel bus driver whom picked us at the Happo bus station, well equipped ski gear, lockers etc but supplied gear is generally a bit on the tired side. Hotel does not serve lunch on weekdays unless ordered before 10pm the night before. As we arrived at 1.30pm at the hotel it is completely senseless to expect guest to order lunch before arriving. No room service. Beware if you didn't take the package which includes breakfast as it is rather expensive at 2500yen each for buffet breakfast which I cannot give any credit to.
Rooms are reasonable sized for Japanese standard even the cheapest one which I took. Onzen is acceptable but not exceptional. The outdoor onzen was closed during my visit.
On the matter of clueless, well as there is no lunch available at the hotel when we arrived, I asked for nearest location for a simple local lunch. The staff looked at me with his mouth opened, Hmmmming away, took more than 1 min to think, then directed me to a soba shop which is 15min walk away and away from the ski slopes. My husband and I took the area map from him, asked for the direction to walk to the gondola and nearest ski chair, took our chance and walked towards gondola to get a feel for next day ski. We found 1) a soba shop directly across the hotel that is open only for lunch, 2)a japanese homecook, hummingbird, about 2 min walk away, 3) The pub (mominoki hotel) serving sandwich, etc 4) Sarisari all within less than 5 min walk from the hotel. Then we also found at the gondola, plenty of restaurants and all cafes located at ski chair stations operated from 830am until dusk. I was totally amazed by how clueless the staff can be working and living in the town and not knowing what is around the hotel.
Hotel should educate their staff or the staff should make the effort to know the surroundings of the hotel. To be able to recommend restaurants etc because meals are very important to their guest especially they are 5stars and do not have any restaurants serving lunch!!!
This is especially important as Japan wants to attract more foreign visitors. However I have to comment that this is very usual in most Japanese hotels unless one is staying in a 5 star foreign owned hotel then when you ask an open question like "where would you suggest for a reasonable priced dinner" to a hotel staff you actually get real suggestions!!
It is easy to get to ski chairs stations. Shuttles run pretty on schedule to and fro.
Japan is generally a cash intensive 1st world country so it would be handy to have cash (yen) on hand. Ski passes are sold at hotel and at ski stations and 2 days pass compared to daily pass from hotel does not differ much. It cost about 4,100 yen appro for the ski pass per day.
There is takyubin services (like courier) available and this time I sent my luggage 1 day prior and it was waiting for me when I arrived. When I checked out, I hand my bag back to the hotel and tell them the timing I want for delivery (earliest morning of the next day). So it was great to move around without luggage. This is also possible for people arriving at Narita. Look for the "cat" logo and there are a couple of them next to each other. Ask around as prices differ. It cost me 2540yen to and fro.
The biggest plus for so-so skiers like me, plenty of green slopes to ski. This town is also one of the most english speaking small town I have come across in my 4 yrs living in Japan. According to my 15yr old daughter whom has been to Shiga kogen twice more than 2 yrs ago, it is a great relief that english is spoken even at cafes!!!
Japan as it is, is expensive compared to european ski resorts however despite all the downside, I would still recommend Hakuba Tokyu but word of caution; shop around. We managed to get the price for 3 nights down to 57000 from initial 75000. Snow is powdery when we were there in Feb but watch out as the altitute is quite low therefore snow can turn icy pretty fast.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Lynn T
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one week at the end of Jan. We chose it because it appeared to have the most facilities and because it had an Onsen.

We arrived in Hakuba by bus form Nagano. The information center staff called the hotel for us and they came straight down to collect us.

The hotel looks impressive from the outside, like a large lodge rather than a hotel of its size. It's surrounded by trees and has quite large grounds. As you go inside as the lobby continues this theme and looks like a large alpine lodge with a sweeping staircase, with a galleried walk way leading to the restaurants above. The ground floor has a large seating area with views out into the wooded grounds of the hotel.

Check in was swift and easy, but we were surprised to find out the hotel doesn't have any double rooms. Only Twins, and as we were on our honeymoon this wasn't so romantic! The staff were very friendly and welcoming with reasonable English.

They took us through to their rental shop which was reasonably priced for the area and the gear was in good condition. Each room gets a locker which easy accommodated our boots and boards.

So finally we went to our room. It was on the 5th floor overlooking the carpark and trees beyond. We had a great view of the mountains yonder when it wasnt snowing so heavily. The room was fairly large but quite twee in decor. The twin beds were large enough that could almost sleep 2 people each and were quite comfortable with proper down duvets. But during the night there was this rhythmic mechanic droning noise every so often, at first i thought it was a plough clearing the carpark but we couldn't see it... but it woke me up a couple of times which was annoying.

The Onsen area is clean and very well equipped with all the products, towels, hairbrushes you could need. The onsen itself, I could not tell if this was really a natural Onsen or a large hot bath. We wondered because the water was crystal clear and the other Onsens we used it wasnt. Anyway it was relaxing to sit in the boiling hot water. They have indoor and outdoor which I prefer because the fresh air against the steaming water feels good.

Breakfast wasnt included in our room and it was incredibly expensive at double cost of most of our dinners. We had it twice but only because we wanted to relax and there were no cafes nearby but it definitely wasnt worth the money. The food was the average buffet stuff with a lot of Asian and western options, but boiled sausages and bacon not grilled. There was also a chef cooking omletes on request. For the other days we went to the local shop and bought coffee, milk and bread stuffs for brekkie which we ate in our room.

The whole resort of Happo seems to be quite spread out and there are buses that will take you all over very regularly. Handily because the hotel is quite big they all stop at the hotel itself so you dont have to walk to a bus stop. The day buses to the runs are free, the night buses are 200 yen. There are some things near the hotel like the pub, humming bird cafe and few other good places to eat so its not isolated by any means. I think wherever you stayed here it would be similar, so as for location of the hotel it was no problem.

One very important thing to note is that most places dont take credit cards so you need a lot of cash. There is one atm only in the whole resort at a 7-11 which is 5 mins drive from the hotel, its not near to anything. The hotel offers an exchange service but only of CASH and only USD and EUROs NOT HKD as we discovered. They suggested we take a 3000 yen round trip to the ATM which we argued with them as a 5 star hotel they should provide this service and eventually they drove us.

The hotel has free wifi which was a rare thing we found in Japan. There is only one tv channel in English which is BBc world news so take your own entertainment if you are more abbout quiet nights in.

I'd say overall the service was good, The staff we very helpful and friendly. The hotel was very clean but could do with a little sprucing up in places. I probably wouldn't stay here again as there were a few hotels nearby that looked a bit more modern.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank want_need_a_holiday
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed at Hakuba Tokyu Hotel some time ago now, but I thought it deserved the review I am about to give it.

Every effort was made to make our stay as comfortable as possible. From arrival to departure we were shown every courtesy, helped with every query, offered options even when not sought.

The indoor/outdoor onsen was certainly an experience I'll never forget. The rooms were spacious and quiet, the bathroom design was impressive. The mountain view room had the best outlook.

The location of the hotel was somewhat away from the slopes, but that is what we preferred to escape the noise of groomers, machinery etc etc. Nevertheless there is a bus that transfers you to the base of the slopes anyway. The hotel was in close walking distance to many restaurants. The hotel restaurant although pricey, was immaculate in quality and service.... absolutely can't complain about paying the extra therefore. The buffet breakfast catered for all tastes and was delicious.

The ski and boot lockers were located in a very convenient position, even the boot and ski air sprayers located just outside were a great touch. The guest laundry was always clean, sometimes busy though, peak hour always fell around 5-7 p.m.

We stayed at the time of Chinese new year and the Hotel put on a great event to celebrate this for the Chinese staff and all guests. Fireworks, Snow Park, Music and Drinks... So much fun!!

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms look out over a wooded area which is very pretty in the snow.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed in this hotel with 2 kids, age 6 and 7 years old, traveling on our own. I was surprised to see westerners working in the hotel, so there was no problem communicating with the hotel staff, even though we do not speak any Japanese. The hotel is not luxurious but clean and comfortable. We paid more for a deluxe room with huge floor to ceiling windows and a large balcony, perfect for admiring the lovely snow scenery.

When we were there, it snowed heavily for 3 days. We had no choice but to eat every meal in the hotel because I did not want to walk in the knee deep snow with 2 young kids. Though the food is good, the menu is very limited, and the prices are very expensive, a meal for 2 adults and 2 kids cost about USD100, and it is certainly not worth the price. We always ate at the Japanese restaurant because our kids like to eat rice, we had problems communicating with the Japanese waiters/waitresses who only knew very little English.

I love Hakuba in winter, but the next time I go I will not stay in this hotel again. I will choose a hotel that is very close to other restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Rosamund
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Greatly enjoyed my stay at the end of December 2010 in Hakuba at Tokyu hotel.

Was surprised how much larger Tokyu was than I expected when we turned up, the two restaurants and bar area were of quite a good size and the hotel has many rooms. After spending some time walking and skiing around Hakuba I do think it is the largest property in the area (from what I saw) and the staff were always helpful and very willing to assist, with the majority speaking very good english.

I highly recommend the set menu lunches in the restaurants, quality and price were fantastic.

The location is very close to Happo ski lifts, and the bus service from Tokyu to the Happo ski is great. They have an onsite ski hire on the ground floor, good for boots and skiis at very reasonable rates (can charge to the room). If people are after 'performance' ski equipment then Happo gondola has a few ski hire outlets.

The food in Hakuba at night is great, with Tokyu providing in the room a guide to Hakuba food outlets/restaurants..this was great and very handy.

The hotel has two onsen onsite (during the winter the outside onsen is closed), one for males the other female...both a good size and very enjoyable for a good soak after the day.

Looking forward to visiting Hakuba and Tokyu again in the future :-)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple