“Top quality snow lodge”

Snowlines Lodge Hakuba
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed at Snowlines for about 8 nights and they were all fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful and more than accomodating; and even though they have a fantastic in-house menu, they were more than happy to reccomend popular restraunts and bars in the local area. If you're skiing/boarding you wont find accomodation closer to such rad mountains - it really is in the middle of everything and is only 20 minutes from the famous Cortina!

All in all I will be returning on my next trip to Hakuba; very satisfied

Room Tip: Rooms near the Onsen could get noisy if people choose to bathe at night.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I spent 2.5 weeks at Snowlines in January 2012, my third trip to Hakuba and by far the best. Stephen and Sarasa are the perfect hosts and with both English and Japanese speaking staff it's a pretty smooth holiday in their hands. From sound advice on getting there (check their website, it's full of useful tips), train station pick-ups, lift tickets, gear hire and restaurant bookings, they really go above and beyond to make sure you love Hakuba as much as they do. They even arranged for my new bindings to be fitted and on the way picked up some topographic maps for another guest.

The lodge itself is great. It's clean and comfortable, with a large lounge providing DVDs, X-box and a dart board at one end, and a bar serving Kirin on tap at the other. Easily one of the highlights of this place is hopping up at the bar after a big day for a beer and a chat with the other guests and our friendly hosts. The atmosphere is great and it's a top way to learn a bit more about the village and the different resorts.

The lodge has a simple bar menu for those nights you want to stay in, but the restaurants of Echoland and Mizuho are an easy walk to try some tasty Japanese cuisine. Breakfast is served every morning with everything you need to get you up on the hill, and a hot option is available to buy.

The 7 Eleven is just down the street and it has one of the only ATMs in the village, very handy. One of the free village shuttle buses stops right at the lodge, great for tired legs at the end of the day. It's only one stop to Happo mountain, in 5 minutes you're on the lift!

Rooms are very clean and comfortable. There are a few options available, we stayed in the comfort room. Great beds and plenty of space to store your stuff. We didn't have an ensuite (though I think there are a few rooms that do), but the communal bathroom was fine. A hot bath at the end of the day does wonders for any aches and pains, bliss.

We had a 4 year old child as part of our group and it really was no trouble at this lodge. There are movies and video games for kids and a very large front yard to build snow caves and run about. Snowlines arranged for his lessons at Happo and the ski school picked us up in the morning and dropped us back in the afternoon. So easy, and he loved it.

All round it was the best skiing holiday I've ever had. I would recommend this place to anybody, and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed 7 nights at the start of Feb 2012. First of many trips to Hakuba. I have been to every ski field in Australia, Canada and hakuba is now my pick due to amazing snow, no lines, reasonable lift pass prices and "FREE LUNCH".

But the best part was Snowlines Lodge. Felt like I was in my own home with friends over. Everything and everyone is so relaxed. Think I spoke to every other guest that was staying at one time or another. Be it at breakfast discussing how good the mountains are, or at the bust stop (that stops directly out the front of the lodge) talking about how good the mountains are, or in the ski storage room getting ready for the day commenting on how good the mountains are, or at the bar after a few friendly Pints of Kirin telling every body how good I was on the mountains.

It was exactly the place I want to stay at and have already booked my accommodation for 2013. I feel like a kid with a new toy as I have told everybody back here in Canada about 30 times how awesome it is.

Is it February 2013 yet?

Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed for ten nights with Stephen and Saras in early Jan. I had a bunch of friends staying in other lodges around Hakuba and I have to say none of them came even close to match the smooth atmosphere, excellent shared spaces and the quality of my own private room.

Took my friends over one night and they made us just amazing three course meal for a very reasonable price compared standard Japanese prices. I know they got a few new guests for next winter that night.

Was also delighted to hand something back for Stephen and the young oz boys in terms of backcountry riding, best pow since 1999.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This was my third visit to Hakuba and by far it was the best and it was this place that did the trick. I'm a massive fan of Hakuba and all it has to offer and didn't actually think it could get any better, until I found Snowlines. It's a real gem. It didn't even take a day and I was walking around like it was home. Steve and Sarasa are the best hosts, they make you feel so comfortable; Steve with his laidback-can-do Aussie style and Sarasa with her impeccable Japanese courtesy. The two of them make the perfect blend of hosts.

But it's not just Steve and Sarasa that make the place so ace, Snowlines is also in a great location with easy access to the villages of Happo and Echoland where there are loads of restaurants to choose from and the shuttle bus that goes around to all the villages and ski resorts stops right outside the Snowlines door. You've also got 7 eleven about 30m down the road that has one of the very few ATM's in Hakuba not to mention loads of great food if you need it...one night Sarasa cooked up a Japanese hotpot for the guests. Don't think they do dinners all the time, it was a special treat. It was things like this that I really loved and I don't think I'll be able to stay anywhere else in Hakuba now.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

This place was amazing. It's been mentioned before but Steve and Sarasa really do go above and beyond. They go out of their way to make you feel at home.The lodge itself is great and has a relaxed atmosphere. Everything is spotlessly clean, the bath was so good after a day on the slopes (seriously, try it even if you're shy - there was no one in there when I went in). I mentioned to Steve and Sarasa that I was curious about Japanese supermarkets and Sarasa took me with her to go grocery shopping! She helped me pick the best Japanese tea to try.

The free breakfast was great, the bus to the slopes stops right outside, it was close to good restaurants, the staff are amazing, lovely rooms, free wifi. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Great accommodation with exceptional staff who go above and beyond to make you welcome so you can get the most out of your once in a lifetime holiday. For those seeking an easy going environment and relaxed atmosphere, Steve and Sarasa are very welcoming and helpful hosts and will make your holiday one you will never forget. Nothing better than a big day on the hill and coming back to the lodge, soaking in the big hot bath and an ale or three at the bar bragging about riding pow and the fresh lines you hit all day. Thanks for making my holiday one I will never forget. I'll definitely be back next year. Cheers. Tony.

Room Tip: Some rooms have ensuites otherwise very nice communal showers.