We had a wonderful time staying at Ryokan Shiroumaso in early January 2012. Ryokan is not luxurious but very clean and has good facilities for ski equipment etc.
- terrific Japanese breakfast
- wonderful onsen
- amazing service (e.g. friendly, helpful, took us to bus station when we were leaving)
- great restaurant recommendations
- no thinner blankets available and the standard quilts provided with futons are VERY warm, so my sleep was affected by being too hot (ended up leaving window open at night)
- rooms are not really cleaned each day
- a 10 minute walk to snow
No hesitation in recommending - but if you sleep hot, take a blanket!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resting at the base of Hakuba Happo-one ski area, Shirouma-so is a modern Japanese ryokan (inn) combining both traditional wood and modern Japanese "Wa" architectural styles, resulting in a creative and beautiful design. From the entrance featuring wooden pillars and beams preserved from the building's agricultural beginnings in the Edo period, to rooms with large windows and views of the northern Alps, you can relax, place yourself in the hands of Nature, and refresh yourself in the warmth of this historical ryokan. Shiroumaso is appreciated by many guests as a convenient base for skiing, snowboarding, or the numerous outdoor activities of the summer months, as well as a hub for touring Shinshu, Azumino, and other regions within Nagano. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, JAPANiCAN, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Rakuten, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hakuba Onsen Ryokan Shiroumaso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.