“Homely service with great food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pension Funny Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hakuba-mura
Pension Funny Inn
Ranked #21 of 101 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakuba-mura
Brisbane, Qld
“Homely service with great food!!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for five nights in March. We chose to stay here as we wanted to be away from all the hotels and close to Echoland where a lot of restaurants are. A lot of restaurants and japanese pubs are close by within walking distance which made going for dinner very enjoyable.

We arrived quite late after getting the snow shuttle and were left a note and our key at the front desk. The next morning we were taken to the hire store up the road and we could leave the gear there to be picked up at the end of our trip.

The rooms were very comfortable and we had a room with its own onsen although we also used the outdoor onsen as well. Every morning we had a lovely breakfast with a different specialty each day. French toast was definately the best.

What made this place so nice was that there were very few others around and the very personal service we received and it was just such a nice place to come back to after a day on the slopes.

Room Tip: Room with an onsen
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I appreciate your wonderful review.
This is my pleasure you choiced Funny inn from so many Hotels and lodges and you loved such a small lodge..Recently private onsen style room (only two rooms) becomes very popular for foreigners guests in winter season,
I hope to see you again here.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We travelled as a group of 12 and practically took over 5 of the 6 rooms in the pension during our 4 nights. Overcoming a first night, late arrival hiccup, we were able to relax and make ourselves feel at home over the next few days. Rooms have a choice of western beds or tatami mats. The location is very handy, just a short 5-10 minute walk from Echoland pubs and restaurants, and only 2-3 mins walk from bus pick-up locations - "last-on and first-off" for Hakuba-47 was nice.

Our hosts, Mayumi and Hide, were fantastic, and were able to advise on best slopes for our varying levels of skiing ability, and latest conditions and forecasts. Nothing seemed like too much trouble for them, even with our group size. Prior to arriving, Mayumi was able to provide answers to any of our questions promptly by email. They kept everything in the pension ticking along nicely: pick-ups, drop-offs, meals, cleaning, advice.

We arranged our ski hire through various hire places, and Hide was about to provide a drop-off to collect the gear on the first day. The ski hire company will pick up from Funny Inn when finished. Full day lift passes for both Hakuba-47 and Happo-One were available at Funny Inn, saving a bit of time at the resort (give Mayumi and Hide some time to arrange this in advance!). On return from the resorts, the onsen (indoor or outdoor) are most welcome! Some rooms have a private onsen.

It's been said before, and bears repeating: the food at Funny Inn is fantastic. A smallish breakfast is provided with enough time to catch the early resort buses and keeps you going to lunchtime - the French toast was particularly a hit. On one occasion, we enjoyed the 5 course dinner (Japanese "fusion" style, I guess you'd describe it) which made for a great evening in.

All in all, highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I appreciate your so polite and hearty review..I think first impression to arrive at Funny inn is very important especially for foreigners guests who came here through very long trip.So it is my best pleasure to hear your comment (we were able to relax and make ourselves feel at home ).
Then I'm very happy to see you from Mongolia far away as you choiced Funny inn in so many lodges in Hakuba.
I hope you could have nice days in Japan after you left Hakuba.Someday I wish to hear your trip from you.

Of course we look forward to seeing you and your wonderful all friends next year.

Great regards Mayumi and Hide Funny inn
Karratha, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

A group of 12 mixed nationalities working in Mongolia stayed at funny Inn for 4 nights in Feb 2013 for a ski holiday. What a lovely surprise, this is a very friendly & welcoming place to stay with a good mix of traditional & western rooms. The owners are a lovely couple Hidekazu & his wife Mayumi & they will do anything to make your stay memorable.The breakfast is fantastic and the 1 dinner we stayed in for was brilliant. The location is a 5 minute walk to pubs & restaurants in Echoland but a bus ride to the slopes each morning. Ski hire is easily arranged online through central snowsports which has a pick up service or spicy's, both will a pick up your gear at the end of the rental period. I am not a good walker in ski boots (who is) so for me I found it a little out of the way but the onson once home made up for it. We choose a room with no bathroom but had our own toilet and found this to be just fine as we would both (husband & wife) slip into the public onson every morning to get the legs moving again. Overall I would highly recommend Funny Inn for a group or couples place to experience " pension style" accommodation in Hakuba. Oh and the skiing was the best I have ever experienced in 30 years of skiing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank peterrhodes55
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I appreciate your review.In the honest I and my husband were very worried to do well because this is fiast time to welcomebig guests (12 peoples).But every time you all members were so friendly, we spent attractive week with you.
We were very happy to meet wonderful people in many countries through Funny inn.

We look forward to seeing you next year.
Great regards Mayumi and Hide Funny inn
Melbourne
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My son and I stayed for 1 week at the Pension Funny Inn as part of first time ski trip and visit to Japan. If you are planning a trip to Hakuba then I would not hesitate recommending Funny Inn for a B&B style accommodation in a warm and cosy setting with great views of Happo One.

Our entire booking and arrangements was done via email and Mayumi-san provides timely response to all your queries. They helped with all our skiing arrangements for us – equipment rental and lift tickets at Goryu, Hakuba47 and Happo-One.

Owners Hide-san and Mayumi-san will greet and host you with Japanese hospitality. Hide-san was at the Hakuba Station to meet us on our arrival and we sorted out our equipment on arrival ready for the next day. Moreover, our ski rental was able to be left at the Pension allowing us a full day of skiing on our last day.

We organised an eat-in dinner on our first night thinking we would be tired from our long trip and I recommend the 3-course degustation dinner course. The pasta plate and in particular the chocolate souffle dessert was wonderful. (I will order double serving on my next visit!)
They offer set course degustation menu, however, as it was not too busy Hide-san was kind enough to make us a Lasagne dinner. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the French toast is wonderful – more like a bread and butter pudding and it is sure to please.

Pension Funny Inn is in a quiet location but very well serviced. It is a 5-10 minute walk to Echoland depending on which restaurant venue you are heading out too. The nearest restaurant Cherry Pub for example is less than 5 minutes. Echoland offers a number of options for dinner/lunch at very reasonable prices (compared to Australia). For skiing to any of the 3 popular resorts (Goryu, 47, Happo) it is a 2minute walk from Funny Inn to the shuttle bus stop.
All breakfasts during our stay were hot/cooked and is varied on a day to day basis and offered at set times as they are cooked for your arrival. Depending on how busy they are they may be able to accommodate different times. We found an 8am breakfast gave us plenty of time to be on the 9:30 shuttle and on the slopes by 9:50.

Pension Funny Inn also has a communal Onsen (one indoor and outdoor) which is available to you after a day’s skiing, We however, had the room with the Onsen bathtub in it. Check their website for rooms and prices,

We found out that Hide is also a ski instructor and is knowledgeable on the ski conditions and each of the mountains to suit your skiing ability.

If you are wanting a quiet relaxing accommodation with that is well suited to Family/Couple with a bit of skiing thrown in then I thoroughly recommend the Pension Funny Inn.

Thanks so much Mayumi-san and Hide-san for making our stay so enjoyable. “French-toast wa oishi kata desu!!”

(All of this ski/japan trip was planned by myself and online; please feel free to contact me if you are wanting any advice)
Richard/Adam

Room Tip: For larger room with western facilities recommend 201. Room 207 has private onsen tub which was gre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HartwellTravels
funnyinn, オーナー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I appreciate for your heart-warming and detail comments.I'm very glad to have been help to you and Adam's happy winter holiday.I'm happy to seeing you and Adam.
Our French- toast is very familier to many guests.How dou you feel about Japanese real Wasabi?
When you come to my inn again,let's enjoy the ski together.
I hope to see next year with your wife and daughter.
Regards Hide
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Funny Inn for three nights in a Japanese room. The room was nice and big and the futon bedding comfortable. The property itself is very homely, clean and well presented. The on-site onsens are a fantastic feature as well. Mayumi and her husband were excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble for them. They even arranged for our skis to be sent to Narita Airport for collection on our departure from Japan - saved us a lot of bother travelling back to Tokyo! We had a fantastic stay and we hope to return next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I appreciate your prompt review. It is very kind of your review whether we didn't do any special.
Recently Japanese room (210) becomes popular for foreigners guests.I guess to stay Tatami's room is very good experience to feel Japanese culture a little.About delively service with in a week it's possible to send from here to Narita airport.
We look forward to seeing you next winter season.
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We chose Funny Inn after reading other reviews on TripAdvisor and they were correct - this place is fantastic. We can't recommend it highly enough. The owners are friendly and helpful - they drove us to pick up our ski hire and delivered it back to our accom whilst we had lunch. The breakfasts are delicious - nutritious and tasty. We had the 5 course dinner that was world class - some of the best food we have eaten. We can buy lift tickets direct from the owners and they advise us where to ski and where to take lessons. Whilst the rooms are not 5 star you are not wanting for anything - they are perfect and very comfortable. The rooms with private onsen are the best. Soaking in the onsen after a day skiing is simply magic. We are traveling with our 3 teenage children and they are happy here too.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Tradge
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
I appreciate your very warm comment . Funny inn is very small lodge (only six rooms) , we hope our guests stay at home with Japanese hospitality. For your family 's valuable vacation you selected my inn from so many hotels and lodges,,I and my husband are very happy .
It is my greatest pleasure to see nice guests like your family .
Already you'd eaten dinner twice and I guess you loved all menu including special anniversery cake .
Now I got reservation of next dinner, so my husband (chef) are wonderring menu..
I hope you'.d stay more 5 nights comfortably.
We wish you will be back again.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Hi,
We had a really lovely 3 night stay in Funny Inn. Mayumi was great on email in the lead up to our stay, and lovely when we were there. Breakfast everyday was amazing (French Toast, Eggs Benedict...) We were picked up from the bus station, we were driven to pick up our ski hire equipment - nothing seemed too much trouble. The room was immaculate and lovely - including a traditional onsen (hot tub) in our bathroom. (Room 207).
Location was great too, and so was the skiiing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex S
funnyinn, お客様担当マネージャー at Pension Funny Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I appreciate your so prompt comment.
In spite of very busy week for your dates I'm very happy to have a good time .
Private onsen style room you stayed is very popular for oue guests.
I remembered you loved every breakfast..,

I hope to see you next year.