“Fantastic service”
Review of Hotel La Neige

Hotel La Neige
Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakuba-mura
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights at the end of Feb, beginning of March. Echo the previous reviews, the rooms, albeit tiny, are very clean. The hotel amenities were great, laundry facilities, drying room & large bath in the basement. The area around the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Walking distance to Sakka lifts and a few restaurants. The service I received in the hotel was the best ever. I was sick during my stay and the lady owner was very kind and looked after me, we somehow managed with her limited English & my limited Japanese. Nothing was ever to much for her and her staff. Made my stay in Hakuba enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed in a room with a spa bath. The room was large spacious and very clean with a lovely view. The hotel staff were very courteous, hardworking and efficient. The service was first class. The restaurant provided excellent food and excellent service. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at this unique boutique hotel. We came to ski and found it very easy to do it from La Neige. The base of the Sakka lift for Happo-One is a very short walk through a beautifull forest track and you can ski all the way back to the door of the hotel. If you want to visit another skifield the free shuttle stop is about 100 meters away.You can get a shuttle into the town from this stop if you want to try other restaurants although there are at least half a dozen within waling distance.

Room Tip: get the deluxe room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Simco01
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I grew up in Tokyo until 1965 and used to hike in this area as a teenager to get away from the noise and dirt of the big city. On the way back from Osaka (where I had a business) to Tokyo (where my brother and sisters live), we decided to spend one night in Hakuba for a sentimental reason (my wife, an American, had never been there). The train rides from Nagoya to Hakuba and Hakuba to Shinjuku (Tokyo) were breath taking partly because the weather was fantastic. We had sunny late fall weather. If anybody is thinking about traveling between Osaka/Kyoto/Nagoya and Tokyo on bullet trains and have sometime to spare, you should take an extra day and do what we did. About the hotel, we found this place through Booking.com and did not expect too much, because many western style hotels in Japan are not really up to what typical internet sites suggest. The hotel was located in a quiet forest and trees were changing colors. The place was extremely quiet, and the building is well built and has a lot of space. Living room and dining room are also very large and comfortable, which is unusual in Japan. We were up graded to a very nice junior suit from a basic hotel room. As other reviewers described, the hosts are just great, kind and very helpful in everything. We decided to have a dinner here (was not included in our reservation), and found that it was by far one of the best western food (French) we had in Japan. Breakfast was also outstanding. Before dinner, we walked around the hotel enjoying the changing colors of trees and the next morning before we got on a train to go back to Tokyo, we took a taxi cab to see Mt. Hakuba (arranged by the host) where I used to climb. The driver took us to other several beautiful spots where we walked around. While we were walking around and our taxi cab waiting, I saw the host (man) with a taxi cab driver. Apparently I left a pair of my pants at the hotel and the host drove down to find us to give them back to me. I really felt then that I am back in Japan. Well all other good things about this hotel have been well described by other travelers, so I will not repeat. Apparently this place is popular with skiers, but if anybody wants to relax at a quiet place in a forest during spring, summer and fall, this is a place for you. All I can say is that we should have stayed at least 3 or 4 more nights and explore the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I couldn't help myself giving the full the point to this beautiful and well kept facility. The Hakuba Resort Hotel La Neige consists of two sister hotels; Honkan (main building) and Higashikan (east building). They are managed and listed as two independent properties althoughthey are owned and run within the same family. The current review specifically refers to Honkan. Honkan is an English style hotel kept extremely clean by the love of its owner lady in the past 30 years. Everything is maintained and looked after so well that you may almost not believe that it was built three decades ago. The most impressive feature is the decorations in the lobby and basement. The rooms are average in size and simple in furniture, but very clean. The bathroom is rather small, but above average in Japan. Our room did not have a refrigerator but we didn't need one. During our new year stay, it was busy in Hakuba but the owner kindly accepted our early check-in/late check-out requests for a small extra charge. Ski out is a challenge (I lost the way almost every time and had two walk a long way) and it is probably better that you just walk for 5 min to Sakka from the first. Unlike higashikan, you can ski directly back to the hotel from the Sakka parking area. The breakfast was of good quality and the rooms were adequately warm, with adjustable heating. We were given one towel per night, and perhaps could have asked for extra ones if we needed. Some amenities that are standard in Japan such as tooth brush were not among basic amenities in the room, but I suppose you could ask for them. The optional dinner course was good, although it was a bit overpriced. The dishes and cutlery were clean and beautiful, so that extra could be easily forgiven. The hotel is a three story building and therefore does not have an elevator/lift. The hotel has the potential to become the number one hotel in the area, but I feel that the owner prefers to have a smaller number of guests to be able to serve them in a special way given the small number of hotel staff. Overall, I can recommend this hotel anyone after an exclusively relaxing and quiet accommodation in Hakuba.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Glen D
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is friendly and elegant without being stuffy. The breakfast they serve not only tastes delicious but looks like a work of art. We are here to ski over Christmas and the hotel has captured the festive spirit with twinkling lights and candle decoration. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff welcoming and helpful. Their English is passable, and much better than my Japanese, and they generally work out what you want or how to help you. I love staying here.

Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Our family of four, (Mum and Dad, children 13 and 11) stayed 8 nights at La Neige Honkan in second week of January 2012. For the first 4 of those nights we had the hotel to ourselves, it was fantastic, the service was great and our hosts could not do enough for us!
As part of our holiday package we had breakfasts and dinner included. Breakfast included cereal, fruit/yoghurt, croissants, Japanese toast and different cooked breakfast each day. Dinner was an amazing 4-course Silver Service French cuisine meal including appertiser, soup, main and dessert. You had to purchase your dinner beverages. I believe if it had not been for the fact I had our evening meals included in the package we would not have been able to afford to eat there each night. Presentation was magnificent and not at all pretentious, we never felt uncomfortable eating there as a family and our children enjoyed every meal time, practising a new Japanese phrase on our welcoming host every night which was always appreciated. It was a relief after a big day of skiing at Sakka not to have to worry about where to eat each night.
We also found our meals were substantial enough that we didn't require a big lunch during the day, just having a small snack or hot choc at the ski fields, no-one ever complained about being hungry!
Hotel location was excellent, just a short 5 min walk up/ski back to the ski lifts at Sakka and shuttle bus stop right out front. Our hosts also picked us up from visitor centre on our arrival and departure at Happo (approx 5 min drive), we arranged this with a phone call from the Nagano bus terminal.
We had an interconnecting room which gave us all extra space and the decor was very European and cosy. Each room had its own television. Bathroom included a bath tub, which was well used at the end of each day. The kids enjoyed the recreation room for movies and games and regularly used the computer in the lobby. I also used the laundry facilities a couple of times.
We used the ski rental facilities next door at Spicy where the service was efficient but unenthusiastic (this is no reflection at all on the hotel).
Our skiing experience at Happo was excellent...great snow, plenty of runs, excellent facilities, no crowds or queuing for lifts. We were very pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds as we fully expected to deal with a lot of people based on past ski trips. We had English speaking ski lessons with the Evergreen instructors, who were fantastic.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to ski in Japan. The service, food and location were superb and everthing was done to an exceptional standard, we could not fault anything and departed feeling like we were saying goodbye to great friends, we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank em-a-lee1756
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed 5 nights in standard rooms at La Neige Honkan.
Pros
- Great breakfast to start off your day - loved the cooked breakfast that changed daily (e.g. scrambled eggs, omelet, frittata), cereals, fresh fruit, plus the giant Japanese toast and lovely croissant. Everything was thoughtfully presented.
- Great hosts - lovely older Japanese couple who looked after us. Picked us up at the station, arrange to send our bags onto Narita, and when he couldn't take us to the station on our departure - he arranged a cab to take us (paid for by hotel)
- Clean and functional rooms - bath stocked with shampoo et al, deep so good for soak
- Washer/dryer facilities
- Wifi internet in room plus PC in the lobby if you don't have your own PC
- Good location - Close to sakka ski lifts - walkable in 5 minutes. Also walkable to some good restaurants nearby but away from throng. Shuttle stops just outside hotel. Ski rental in front of hotel.
Cons
- Small-ish rooms with limited storage and twee floral curtains - just need to be very tidy about putting ski stuff away and altho' twee curtains were not our taste we were here to ski.
- Ski-in/out - you can definitely ski-in from Sakka lifts but ski-out was more challenging - it's still do-able, we just wished we found the trail earlier - Just ask the Spicy ski rental guys on how to catch the ski-out trail. It sure beats lugging skis to the lifts with 2 young kids in tow.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family