“Comfortable and close to ski lifts!”
Review of Penke Panke Lodge

Penke Panke Lodge
Ranked #3 of 371 B&Bs / Inns in Hakuba-mura
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed here in March 2012 for couple of nights.
Its a very comfortable lodge with cozy rooms. We stayed in room 10 which I recommend.
At first we booked a self contained room with kitchenette but it was a bit too humid in the room as it is on a ground level and wasn't so cozy. We asked if we could change a room and the owner Justin was very helpful and had another room arranged for us.
There are lot of foreigners staying in that pension. They have a cozy lounge area where you can spend time with your friends. Theres also a dry room to keep all your gear.
Its basically 5 min walk to Sakka ski lifts.
I recommend to have dinner in Hummingbird restaurant. its only 10 min away from PenkePanke. Food is delicious and owners speak good English. You might have to wait for your food a long time but its worth it.
Overall I recommend staying in PenkePanke :)

Room Tip: room nr. 10
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna-Maria M

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Penke Panke. Justin and his staff could not have been more helpful. Although rooms are small and breakfast area and ski rooms very crowded at times the service you get more than makes up for this. Free pickups and transfers to supermarkets, onsens and ATM's are included.
We stayed in Feb 2012. Most guests were in the 25-35 bracket but despite this our room was quiet and the beds comfortable.
Would recommend mainly for the the above demographic but really any age would be OK, although those wanting 5 star amenities should look elsewhere

Room Tip: Check the helpful website or email Justin
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor, heard from others who had stayed there - decision - must stay at Penke Panke. We were a mixed group, one young couple, 3 teenagers and a mum. Stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment. Had our own space , plus could mix with others in the lodge common areas. Justin was so obliging, answering many questions by email even before we got there, and then even more once we were there. Handy to lifts, great trips to the supermarkets and a a different onsen every night. Beautiful location in the forest, free bus to other mountains stops outside lodge. Having previously stayed in another (unnamed) backpackers for similar price, you could not have asked for any more in the way of service from Justin and his staff. Already planning our next trip and will stay there again!

Room Tip: If you are female you will never have to queue for shared facilities as more guys than girls staying...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Colleen G
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed at Penke Panke during a recent trip to Hakuba. I was traveling alone, and initially had booked a different hostel, but decided to change my reservation based upon the strength of reviews I found on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad I did.

Even though I caught a late bus out of Tokyo, Justin, the owner of Penke Panke, picked me up from the bus stop just before midnight, saving me the hassle of having to find the lodge in the middle of the night. When I arrived, he gave me a complimentary upgrade from a shared room to a private room, which he extended for three nights.

Although the rooms are a bit small, the mattresses and bedding are excellent. I can honestly say that I haven't had such good sleep in quite a long time. The complimentary breakfast is plentiful and tasty - my first day there the chef prepared salmon benedict, a nice treat on Christmas morning.

For the cost, you would be hard-pressed to find a better value than Penke Panke. The accommodations and staff are excellent, and the level of service is extraordinary for a lodge that I had basically booked as a hosteler. Even better, as others have mentioned, it's only about a 3-4 minute walk to the ski lift. You can't find another lodge that offers such a good combination of service, price and convenience.

Penke Panke provided me with everything I needed on my trip, including ski and snowboard rental for a better price than any of the local shops would have offered. There's a newly upgraded bar that makes for a great place to unwind at the end of the day, and the lodge is in close proximity (i.e. walking distance) to a number of restaurants. The staff runs a series of shuttles for the guests on a nightly basis, including drop-offs and pickups to the 7-11 (the only place to get cash from an ATM), the supermarket and various local onsens.

Penke Panke was a huge factor in making my trip a thoroughly enjoyable one. Although I traveled alone, I was never wanting for company as I met others quickly and easily. We all enjoyed the relaxed and communal atmosphere, a welcome respite after an intense day on the slopes.

I don't anticipate traveling back to Hakuba anytime soon, but if I do, there's no doubt about where I'm staying.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stayed at Penke Panke with my wife and two adult children in late January. I can't commend Justin and his team more highly. It seems aimed at the 20-35 age group but suited us perfectly. The service was five star, relaxed, friendly and the location is perfect. Wandano has a "village in a forest' atmosphere and with the snow laden trees and snow covered streets makes it a really magic place to be. And then there's the skiing! Only a 3 minute walk to the lifts of Happo One, with the most amazing powder I've experienced. I had heard about it but still found it incredible. Add to this no queues at the lifts, slopes virtually deserted (apart from the weekend when the locals arrived) and you can even get a good coffee on the slopes. The weather wasn't great with a lot of snow falling and cloud but you can't expect sun and thigh deep powder at the same time can you?.The lodge arranges daily shuttles to other resorts like Hakuba 47 and Cortina for those who aren't satisfied with the "ski in / ski out" slopes of Happo. On top of that was Justin's assistance with kitting us out with ski's, boots, snowboards, the shuttles to a different Onsen at the end of each day, the friendly feel of the Penke Bar, the miriad of cosy little restaurants with great food at reasonable prices in the street within walking distance, and the Hakubus shuttle from Narita that made it so easy to get to in the first place. The rooms are basic but comfortable and warm, and there was plenty of hot water which was very important. Justin told us he's gradually renovating them so they should improve in quality of finish over time. The common area is very well laid out with large windows looking out into the forest from the help yourself breakfast area. We had a great time. We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Full English speaking lodge, good facilities and vibe.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed at Penke Panke Lodge in January 2012. Having been to Hakuba before, we wanted to stay in the wadano area to be close to the slopes. Penke is absolutely perfect for this- end of the drive and cross the road and you have the sakka quad from which you can go up and get to the gondola easily if required. The lodge was absolutely wonderful, and included a generous breakfast every day of a hot dish,toast, cereal, juice, hot drinks.

We (a couple) stayed in the double with en-suite room, while 4 of our party stayed in the large Japanese tatami matt room. The double room was much nicer than we had been anticipating from a lodge, with a huge, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, good heating and was complimented by the additional touch of guidemaps, and Penke stickers and chopsticks.

Justin was incredibly helpful in offering lifts when we needed, to the bus station, train station and doctors, and we were never at loss for help or advice.

What really made the lodge was the additional, unexpected features that were on offer, such as the use of laptops, free wifi, good lounge with tv, free trips to onsens, laid back but incredibly helpful attitude of the staff, hairdryers in the communal bathrooms, and the Penke Bar next door - which is popular with locals and very reasonably priced.

The Lodge is within walking distance of some good restaurants and The Pub, and with the shuttle stop outside the front , it was easy to get to other resorts, ie Goryu or to the station for Cortina, and easy to get to / from Echoland.

Overall, great for a group or couple. Really relaxed, with a small but good bar next door!

Room Tip: If I were going back as a group I would definitely consider the Tatami matt room. As a couple having...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends