All reviews hot springs information station corner morioka onsen dinner ryokan
Selected filters
Reviewed December 5, 2018

I had been praised for this unique place in the heights of Shizukuishi, between Mountains Iwate and Komagakate, but it was beyond my expectations! A luxurious establishment perfect for restoring peace and serenity, thanks in particular to its hot springs and spacious rooms, decorated with the greatest care and in accordance with tradition. To this you add an excellent meal that will allow you to discover the local specialities, a very charming service and a hushed general atmosphere that gave my stay the flavour of rare moments.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
SebastienChoeikan, Booking Department at Choeikan, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2018

Thanks for your kind review ! We all hope to welcome you again at Choeikan ! I hope that the rest of your trip to Japan was also satisfying !

Reviewed October 26, 2018

We enjoyed our stay. Our twin room was more attractive than the photos suggest and it was also large and comfortable. The beds were good and the yacutas were right sized and freshly laundered each day. We appreciated the kaiseko dinners which had a variety of local seasonal ingredients and good quality fish and meat. The settings and presentation was more simple than some of our other experiences but the food was tasty and plentiful. Breakfasts made no concessions to Western tastes which was not a problem for me as I like natto and other Japanese breakfast ingredients. On one of the mornings the grilled mackerel was a little strong for our taste, but we enjoyed salmon on one of the other days. My partner would have preferred to have had a cereal option, which we have sometimes had offered at other ryokans and hotels. One of the positives was having Sebastian, a fluent English speaker, on the staff as he was able to explain the dinner menu, places to walk and to provide other information as needed. Of all the places we have stayed, the written menus were the only ones also translated into English-probably also the good work of Sebastian. The onsen was probably the best I have experienced so far, with fresh, unadulterated, very hot water bubbling up into the indoor and outdoor baths. There were a couple of eccentricities about the onsen. One was that while there was after shave lotion and hair lotion for men, there were no products for women in the bathroom – in fact, there was not even soap because as Sebastian explained, most people bathe in the onsen. Another was that for breakfasts and dinners, we were seated in the dining room-it seemed as far away as possible from other guests which had me wondering if our manners were not up to Japanese standards or if our presence was an embarrassment. We were the only non-Asians in the hotel for the three days, and I am probably wrong about the reasons for the seating, but it felt a bit strange. I was also surprised that there was no coffee for breakfast except what was available to be purchased in the coffee shop. Other than Sabastian, none of the other staff spoke English, but they were all very gracious, charming and helpful. I had an excellent massage in the spa. If I were coming this way again, I would return to this accommodation.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SebastienE112, 予約部のスタフ at Choeikan, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2018

Hello ! Thanks for your stay and for the nice comment. It was a pleasure meeting you ! I am happy to hear that I was of some help for you ! Don't worry about the seating, I think it was randomly attributed. And your manners were perfect ! I hope you will visit Iwate prefecture again and have another stay at our ryokan !

Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

Not much action in the surrounding town, but nice walks. We could not leave due to flooding, but had no problem booking an additional night. Small casual restaurant with good food we all loved. We also visited the karaoke bar, which had a friendly atmosphere.

Date of stay: September 2017
SebastienChoeikan, Guest Relations Manager at Choeikan, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2018

Hello ! Thank you very much for your stay, and for your nice review ! I am happy you could enjoy our hotel, it's surrounding and facilities (Izakaya and Karaoke bar). I'm glad also you seem to have made it safe back home ! We're looking forward to welcome you again !

Reviewed July 28, 2017

About 10 km or 15-20 minute drive from Shinzukuishi JR Station located on the outskirts of a small village. Situated next to a river, great views. The hotel itself is a bit outdated, however, very clean. The rooms are traditional Japanese, thin mattress goes on floor(tatami?) - there were 2 extra ones in the closet, we double layered and it was ok. Tea and instant coffee in room. As others have already mentioned, there's a nice onsen separated by gender. On the male/my side, there are 3 little pools, one outdoors and 2 indoors (one of which is a smaller wooden tub). The local thermal water feeding them is quite hot. My wife said that on the women's side the outdoor pool is separated in 3 sections, one of which has cooler water.There's also a sauna. The breakfast is delicious and beautifully presented. I am not aware of other dining options in the area so you will probably end up eating all your meals here, which is by no means a bad thing - just want others to be informed/aware of it. Free shuttle to/from train station up to 6 pm. After 6, the staff will arrange taxi ride for you as Sebastian did for us, thank you ! Massage available, be aware the "relaxation" massage is fully dressed + a towel on top of it for good measure! Our fault for not asking more clearly. TV japanese channels only. Best part of all, the service, typical Japan, if not better ! Many thanks to all staff, especially Sebastian (speaks Japanese, English and French!) who made everything easy for us. Thank you, merci beaucoup, ありがとうございました

Date of stay: July 2017
Sebastien E, Sales at Choeikan, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Hello ! Thanks for your kind review ! It was a pleasure meeting you at Choeikan ! Sorry for the bad weather when you came ! I am very happy you could enjoy your stay despite the weather conditions.
As for the bath, the temperature greatly varies according to the hots spring's mood, since we don't alter the water in any way. In this season, the water is exceptionally hot. Maybe your wife could feel the water being a little cooler in some part of the outdoor bath, the women's outdoor bath being wider than the men's.
Your description of our different services is exceptionally accurate so thanks again for the review !
I hope you had a pleasant stay in Japan !
Sebastien

Reviewed July 16, 2017

Our experience at Oushuku Onsen Choeikan was positive. Fortunately there was Sebastien who spoke English who did most of the coordination. Since we were vegetarian we planned two meals there where they prepared meals as per our preferences. These were quite enjoyable experiences. In addition they provided free shuttle to and fro the Shizukuishi station. This was quite helpful since the hotel is quite a distance away. Once all details are planned, things happen like clockwork. One must ensure this is done properly. The staff is quite keen, friendly and positive. The onsen is great, though there is no "mixed onsen" so for some couples on a holiday this may be a slight disappointment. In any case mixed onsens are not so common. From Suzikuishi we did a couple of day trips to Tazawako, Nyuto Onsen and Kakunodate. Some facilities at the hotel include massage, a bar with karaoke (though we didn't use the karaoke), a restaurant and a shop with local goodies and souvenirs, in addition to the onsen.

The ryokan style room was the highlight for us and the futon bed experience was quite interesting and immersive.

The staff do whatever they can to make your stay a pleasant and enjoyable experience.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Sebastien E, Sales department at Choeikan, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

Hello Kaushal & Sumeeta !

Thanks for you nice review ! I am glad to hear you also enjoyed our facilities and service !
Our staff is always doing its best to make every stay at Choeikan an enjoyable experience. Especially when it comes to long distance travelers, we do our best to help them adapt to Japanese lifestyle and plan their day trips or travel to their next destination, with free shuttle and advice.
As your mentioned in your comment we can adapt our traditional (kaiseki ryori) dinner to our customers food restrictions.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with me again if you need some advice for your next trip to Japan ! It was a pleasure to welcome you at Choeikan !