“delightful hiking in fall”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Juniko

Lake Juniko
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Vancouver, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“delightful hiking in fall”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

we're there last fall. It's quite difficult to arrange to traffic as the bus and train are not frequent. We decided to drive there from Akita and arrived there at around 11:30am. We took the most popular track which took us around an hour to finish at comfortable pace. We bought a bento in one of the driving station between Akita and Lake Juniko. There is no restaurant in the walking trail so you'd better prepare the lunch first. On our way down the hill, we also visit the Nihon Canyon which is 30 minutes walk from the road. Nice breath taking view.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pumpkinkin

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“cool relief on a scorching day”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The lakes were beautiful - the colours really are as they appear in photographs.The forest is beautiful and would be lovely in autumn. Not sure why the grand canyon is named that as it doesn't look anything like its namesake in the USA. There are a few short walks here. There are places to stay on the coast but not many. Food options around Juniko are limited (there are a couple of places includinga lovely teahouse) so you might want to buy food to bring.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Grace B
Singapore
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Natural Art Gallery”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Juniko lakes

Autumn is the month for Momiji Gari, the hunt for fall colors.
Naturally I will not omit Juniko from my itinery. I have read so much about this in the internet but was always not able to make the trip. Finally this autumn I was able to afford more time and thus able to pin this place in my schedule.
Juniko literally means twelve lakes. There is a total of twelve lakes but I was only able to see two.
Via public transport which is by far few and far apart. And also to take into consideration the remoteness of this area, timing is very important.
I stayed in Furofushi Onsen the night before, thus I was able to take the first direct bus from the bus stop located directly infront of the hotel lobby at 8:45am.
The journey is about 45mins and cost 780¥.
Like I have mentioned, time your journey properly so that you will not be stranded. This is especially important if you do not speak Japanese and are not familiar with the terrain.

The walk to Aoki lake is not very far. Along the path, to my left, leaves bloomed. I know only flowers bloom, but in Autumn, at the peak of their prime, leaves bloom.
Colors upon colors, shades upon shades, contrasting and harmonious arrays of colors. It's like I was walking in a natural art gallery by the lake. The water mirrored the colors, at times I couldn't even differentiate which is real, which is reflection.

Aoki lake is just a very small pond, clear cerulean blue tinged with green. From the observation deck, the water was so clear that I could see into the surface. From here, one could either move deeper into the greens or return to the bus stop. However time is luxury I couldn't afford at that point of time. My purpose were Aoki Lake and autumn colors. With the arrival time of my bus to Juniko Station looming in my consciousness, I couldn't explore the area to my heart's content.

Before, I planned my trips with this criteria in mind - within walking distance from the train station and I must have a detailed map to safely return to my starting point. As I travel alone and do not speak Japanese, I need to be able to return safely without hiccups. Recently I have veered away from that. I started to embark on trips that are time consuming and requires bus transfer. Sometimes the information I gathered from the internet may not be accurate, thus I have to constantly adjust my schedule impromptu.

However, more often than not I was rewarded with the results for the effort I made.
The sights I behold, the colors that greeted me far exceeded my expectation.

I took the bus which departed from the bus stop at 11:35am bound for Juniko Station which cost 350¥.

With this, I do not consider myself as having visited Juniko. Having only 2 hours to spend here was not enough to consider it done. This place deserves more than 2 hours.
Needless to say, I will be coming back, and next time I will plan even better and allocate more time here.

Visited October 2013