See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

I like older ‘vintage’ or boutique style hotels. This hotel is wonderful even if it isn’t brand new. It has a great lobby to gather in, and friendly staff. My room was very well appointed in traditional Japanese style with tatami mats. The amenities include different kinds of loose tea, yukata, slippers, and pillows for sitting on the floor. Breakfast is included and served from 7-9am. There is a public bath (hotsprinf) as well.
I’d like to vacation here and only wish my stay was longer. I took

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2018

This is a great Hot Spring resort hotel I have ever been, with a great sea view and you can enjoy the super sunset view if arrived at the right moment !! Awesome experience and of course their foods are also wonderful to try especially the breakfast buffet, you should not miss it.

Date of stay: September 2017
grandmer-suigun, 予約センター at Hotel Grand Mer Sankaiso, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2019

Thank you for visit Hotel GrandMer Sankaiso.
We are glad that you enjoyed Tsugaru local food, kaseki kaisui onsen and a vast expanse of Japan Sea in our hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 20, 2017

Recently we traveled to the Tohoku Region with the main intention of riding on the very scenic Gonou Train Line which hugs the coast from Aomori to near Akita. A friend of my wife is from the very small town of Ajigasawa and my wife wanted to visit the little city. We booked this hotel through JR View and to my surprise and it was a very pleasant surprise it is really quite nice.

It is an older 1999 vintage hotel/ryokan built at the end of the Bubble Era but it has been very well maintained. We had a Japanese style room on the 3rd floor which has an excellent view of the ocean (Japan Sea) from the room, and from the hallway outside of the room a view of the great volcanic mountain which dominates the area.

The main bath (Ofuro) was clean, the temperature of the bath properly hot, and there is a view of the sea from both the main bath and the rotenburo outside.

Our room was very ample in size, clean and stocked with the standard amenities, free Wi-Fi is available and for those of us without a portable computer there is a computer terminal in the lobby for use by guests. They have a very large gift shop with a good selection of regional specialties in addition to the normal nick knacks.

While we were too tired to go down and listen their was a brief "concert" by a local Shamisen artist in the evening accompanied by a drummer. If you have not heard this three string plucked "banjo" before it would be worth your while to attend.

Dinner was served in the dining room and was generally excellent, the waiter was quite helpful, and food was well prepared and well presented. Breakfast is served buffet style in a large conference/meeting room. It was MORE than adequate in quanity with both Japanese and a good selection of western dishes.

Frankly given the remote location, size of the town and age of the hotel I had expected far less than what we got, the price was 17,000 yen per person, mid-week which I thought was quite inexpensive for what we received.

I highly recommend a trip on the Gonou LIne to see the coast of Japan, and strongly recommend that after your trip down from Tokyo you stay at this hotel in Ajigasawa before completing your journey the next day. Shuttle service is available from the train station to the hotel and back at no additional charge.

Room tip: All rooms have a view of the Japan Sea
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2016

The view from the lobby was great although you can smell something is missing. The room is small, that I can understand. The bedsheets and blankets are of poor quality. The mean is terrible. The dining hall is next to the karaoke bar for group tourists. You will be happy to leave the grand mer for the first time in your life.

Room tip: you'd better find another ryokan or minbak.
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2016 via mobile

2室ある特別室の洋室のパターンに泊まりました。普段一泊二食2名で10万円が8万円。普通室に泊まっても6万円近いので比較すると安く感じますが、星野リゾートの界と比較すると割高です。しかし五能線沿線で海岸に面して夕日が見えるホテルを探したので、目的を達成し満足です。夕食は洗練された地元食材を多用した和食で価値あります。何より従業員教育がハイレベルで、アメニティや朝食や部屋備品を少し手を入れると素晴らしいレベルの宿になるでしょう。
If you love to take sunset pictures on Japanese sea(we have another name for other Asian countries, anyway) highly recommended to stay this hotel. Room is spacious and hot spring is nice and ancient deep sea water, additionally, traditional Japanese dinner is sophisticated and full of locally grown or catched fishes. I am local train lover and this time enjoyed Gono Line confronted sea therefore used this hotel and found worth to stay.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple