“Nice find”

255 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 574 helpful votes
“Nice find”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Tawse Winery has won some Canadian Winery of the Year award that is proudly mentions. This award is reflected in very good wines, knowledgeable service, and a beautiful setting for experiencing a tasting.

Tawse wines are not cheap. Like all Canadian wines, value is never a word that is rightly used to describe them. Canadian wines are taxed highly, come from small vineyards, and see fat price increases the minute any major publication recognizes them.

That being said, Tawse has some nice wines. The Pinot Noir is nice and comparable to other good Pinot Noirs. The best two tasting options are a Cab Franc from 2009 and a Cab Sauv ice wine, which is better, more unique, and cheaper (although not cheap at 34.95) than ice wines you might find in the wineries that have tour bus parking in the Niagara on the Lake area.

Visited February 2014

Ontario
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Christmas Eve Wine Tour - fun!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We live in the area so we can get to this winery easily. We have never had a bad experience and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. I like one of their rieslings that isn't offered for tasting but they are always happy to get bottles for us to buy.

Our tour yesterday included Tawse. The staff was very friendly and we did not pay for any tasting..I don't remember ever paying for tasting there and this included ice wine also.

A beautiful property and great wine..perfect combination!

I would recommend going here at least once!

Visited December 2013
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Friendly staff, and good service even on a busy summer day. Beautiful property of the winery.
I would recommend visiting this winery to taste great wines.

Visited August 2013
London, Canada
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Great service, good wines”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I wanted to check out the estate because I had a glass of Tawse red in a London restaurant & it was delicious. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the wine was, but I was determined to find some enjoyable wines!

The service staff are great; our tasting was guided by a young man from the UK who was very helpful & pleasant to speak with. I notice that the staff don't wander off during your tasting; they stay with you & make conversation until you have finished. I really like this about Tawse (and several other wineries); it's a big turn-off at some of the more "corporate" feeling wineries in Niagara where the service staff just give you a tasting flight & take off. I like talking to the staff about the winery's process, grapes, and anything interesting about their jobs/what's going on at the winery.

Although the staff member was very helpful, I didn't find too many wines I really enjoyed, so we only went home with a Gewurz and a 2010 Laundry Cab Franc. These wines I find to be a bit pricier than other wineries in the Twenty Valley (at least $5/more per bottle and then some), so I'm not sure the reason for this.

Visited October 2013
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is one of the finest wineries in Canada, and was voted #1 for 3 years in a row. The winery is very beautiful, the people are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, and the wine fantastic. Try their Rose wine which is some of the best. and if you feel you need some exercise first, the Bruce Trail goes right through their property, so go for a hike first!

Visited October 2013