“Absolutely beautiful surroundings and wonderful food!”

Maximilian's Restaurant & Cellar Door
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Verdun
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An iconic restaurant, Maximilian's provides a quintessential Adelaide Hills experience. Nestled amongst vineyards, the heritage homestead built in 1851 provides cosy romantic corners, big open fires, lush dining and private function rooms. Only 12 minutes from the toll gate, Maximilian's is a complete celebration of one of Australia's most significant food & wine regions including Sidewood Tasting Rooms and exceptional wine list.
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Never cease to have wonderful food here. Sure, it's not cheap but they fit us in today with no notice, brought pencils over for our little one and made us feel really looked after. Thank you to your staff there. :)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had our birthday dinner there with friends on the 29th June - unreal night - 1 of us is a vegan+seafood diet, the other gluten free - and our meals rocked!

All 5 of us were amazed with everything that hit the table

Do try the Line Caught Snapper with Fennel Pollen - an amazing dish.

Great venue, great food - and great people up there (staff and other patrons)

Long live a long time around a dinner table!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Best meal we have had in the adelaide hills including the bridgewater mill. New management has improved the decor, the service is friendly, and the food great. I had the belly pork followed by the duck, my wife had the prawns (I tried one) and all were .awesome. This beats the majority of adelaide establishments. If I could give it a 6 star I would.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had heard a lot of nice things about dining here, bucket list item, beautiful old homestead. That is almost where it ended, minimal items on menu 5/6 choices for entree/ main courses. Food was nice, but presentation was average and service was below average. Poor selection of wines and then when local wine was selected we were told only 1 bottle available. Very disappointing night out with friends.

Andrew F, Owner at Maximilian's Restaurant & Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We write to correct a few important facts in your review. You mentioned that we only had 5/6 choices of entree and main course - we in fact have 12 choices of entree or sharing starter and then a further 9 selections for main course with 4 choices of different options of highest quality South Australian beef.
It is unfortunate if the wine that you selected was short on that particular night - but we do have one of the more extensive wine selections we are aware of with approximately 150 labels on the list at any given time. The wine list was designed to reflect our ethos of celebrating the Adelaide Hills abundance and its high quality produce. Accordingly almost 30% of the wine stocked is from our Adelaide Hills renowned cool clime.
We are surprised to hear that your visit was not to your expectations given the positivity so many others are expressing through various forums about Maximilians e.g. Simon Wilkinson – Food Editor – The Advertiser Newspaper “The result, to cut to the chase, is a triumph – an exciting contemporary restaurant that reflects its surrounds as well as any of the regional stars of the Barossa and Fleurieu” – 30th March 2013.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I really did my homework for this one. We are from Qld and I wanted a place where we could have great food and a comfortable yet sophisticated environment and quite cozy. It was an important one for me - my 10th anniversary with the love of my life. Maximilian's not only met but exceeded my expectations for food, service and atmosphere. The food and wine were perfectly matched. We ordered the chateaubriand and it was faultless. The celeriac chips were a beautiful accompaniment to it. And moreso (this was my wife's favourite!!), the blue cheese infused butter with the bread as complimentary starter is a must try!! We were made to feel special and this was so important for such a special occassion.
Congratulations to the entire Maximilian's team for being able to help create such memorable evenings. I urge anyone to experience Maximilian's.