“Very good and a little different to the other local restaurants”
Review of Seven Lanterns

Seven Lanterns
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Sylvania
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Food is great and the owner and his staff are fab.
We've been there a few times now and the quality is always the same - excellent.
My only criticism is that the portions are quite small. This is fine for the ladies, but teenage son found it a little small for his liking.
It is quite expensive, but very nice food.
Definitely worth a try.

David P, Owner at Seven Lanterns, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Next time pls make sure to let my waiter know of your son. I know how much they eat. I have one!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

With a friend during the week we returned to Seven Lanterns and had a great experience. It is one of two excellent restaurants in the strip near Tom Uglys Bridge. I hope that people will support quality restaurants in the Shire.

Which is the other one? I hope it's Kalevu.... Chris is my friend! Thanks for support me and the strip.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Dined here in mid june 2014. The degustation menu was fantastic. The blend of flavours had us guessing a lot but it all tied in well with each ingredient making for a great culinary experience. My only negative is that we left feeling hungry.

I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

We increased the portion of steak dish. Pls give us another go. It will be all positive!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The overall feeling of this restaurant is lovely. Service was friendly and attentive. Do not go expecting traditional Korean or Japanese food. While the flavours were nice the portions were very small and expensive. If you like being fooled into thinking gourmet equals satisfying this place is for you! I have travelled extensively in Japan and Korea and have good knowledge of both cuisines ... Fusing them with western methods detracts from the authenticity of the culture. Overall we were disappointed and my husband was in the kitchen when we got home cooking himself something to eat!

I'd have gladly accepted if your dislike of fusion is based on a your personal reason or experience but it is rather presumptive and insulting that it's based on your "good" knowledge of our culture. Japanese and Koreans by nature are very very adventurous, innovative and curious bunch who also respects the old. We like our coexisting character of guarding the old and INVENTING NEW, including food. Anyone who spent time in either Tokyo or Seoul would notice this.

And I have no objection to your belief that large portion equals satisfaction and value but I really don't appreciate my diners being referred as being fooled!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Even if you are not in the area, it is worth the trip!

After getting good feedback about Seven Lanterns, we went there a couple of weeks ago and loved it!

We had the degustation menu and everything was sensational.

Went back again last night with a group of foodie friends and had a lot of different dishes from the menu, and everything was faultless.

A lot of care is taken with the food, and with the use of top quality ingredients and beautifully crafted sauces it is certainly a winner. It is a fusion of Japanese, Korean and Asian cuisines. Young clever chefs certainly create some delicious dishes.

Pork Belly, beef rib hotpot, salmon, prawns, cuttlefish and the rest, all mouthwateringly good. Oh and the sticky date pudding and chocolate dessert, yum!

Excellent service as well, David the owner is very personable which made for an extremely enjoyable evening.

Usually we do not eat out in the Shire and head into the city, but now we have a regular place to go close to home, which is as good as you would get in the city without having to travel the distance.

Great food, great service, excellent dining option.

Thank you for giving a go at a small suburban joint. We need more like you!