“A good experience”
Review of Shimizu

Shimizu
Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was my first time not staying in a formal hotel/ryokan therefore, the experience was good for me. I think the room looked a bit shabby but the futon was clean and the eating area was very interesting. The home made food (both breakfast and dinner) was delicious and tasted very fresh. There was some mechanic outside the room and a little pond so I could hear some sound of mechanic and water the whole night but luckily it did not affect my sleep. The sharing bath room and toilet may be a bit of a problem if you need to put on make up or do your hair. You don't get to see Mr. and Mrs. Shimizu often except during meal times. I am fine with that because I cannot speak Japanese too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank emyl0909

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in June. The accomodation and food were good, as was the location - a little further away but very quiet and close to fields etc. The welcome was not hugely warm - yes language could be an issue, but a smile goes a long way and crosses language barriers. A nice town - worth going to the hot springs - but very very small and not much to do other than for an afternoon. Not worth more than a 1 night/1 day stay in the town. This was a good choice of place as long as you don't expect a particularly friendly welcome. We don't expect much attention, just a heart felt smile would be enough.But still a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I shan't add to what has already been said (which is largely true) except to say:

- This is much like staying in someone's (albeit traditional and really nice) house in Japan. So, if you haven't done that much you'll find it amazing. If you have, it's still great but perhaps the price tag includes that experience.

- It's really not that far from the station. If it was in a city, people would be saying how wonderfully close to the station it is.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank NomDG
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Shimizu is rather far from the bus stop, but it definitely has the best view! The japan alps on your doorstep. Dinner was okay and the futon was comfy, probably the thickest futon we had so far. Because its quite isolated from the rest of the village, we even met a wild fox wander from nearby forest. However, we didnt visit the onsen because its too far from Shimizu

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Melisa S
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Shimizu is located in the edge of the village, so a little walk (15 minute) is expected from the bus station. However, from the house you can see beautiful mountains, forests, the rice fields and several gasso historic houses. We fully enjoyed the serene and beautiful scenery. Our family enjoyed very much the "tatami" bedroom because the floor of our old bedrooms were layered by tatami. The frogs sang out-loud at night, and we even spotted snakes, different species of frogs, and many newts in the rice field during our night stroll. The Japanese dinner and breakfast prepared by Mrs.Shimizu were very delicious (home-style!). The rooms and shared restroom were clean, but keep in mind that shower is not recommended after 10 PM and the lights are suggested to be turned off after 10:30 PM as courtesy to the owners and other guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marion T
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This review is long overdue and I owe our wonderful hosts at Shimizu minshuku an apology for not posting sooner. We stayed in September 2011 for one night, as part of a two-week trip to Japan. Shimizu minshuku gave us the unique experience of staying in a thatched, family-run farmhouse within the picturesque boundaries of Shirakawa-go. After a short 10-minute walk from the town center, we were warmly greeted by our hostess, who spoke a little bit of English. The minshuku is clean and cozy, with a comfortable communal room where a satisfying home-cooked breakfast and dinner is served. We especially enjoyed how Shimizu is just a little out of town. This gave us a taste of what it’s like to wake up in the Japanese countryside, away from the crowds and tourist shops. The mornings were especially peaceful, clear and bright – ideal for strolling along the surrounding fields. If you’re looking to stay in a minshuku in Shirakawa-go, I would highly recommend Shimizu for their hospitality, comfort and location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ordandnuntiya
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was being referred to this Inn by Japanese Guest House. No expectation earlier on. But somehow, upon reaching the Shimizu Inn, Mr. Shimizu was halfway cleaning up the house. I was being invited in and to put off my luggage as it's still early (I arrive before lunch). The rest of the day, I didn't stay in the lodge until dinner time at 7pm. Mr Shimizu is really a very good cook. Very nice dinner were served although I can't describe the food. But it all tasted very nice. And Mr. Shimizu also purposely woke up early in the morning to prepare my breakfast as I need to leave at 7am catching the first bus. He has no obligation to do that as the policy said that breakfast will only be served at 8am. And I would like to thank Mr. Shimizu here for his extra service of sending me to the bus station in his car. He really did showed his warm hospitality during my stay. Although it's a little bit far to walk from the central village, but I don't regret staying here. The Shimizu Inn really got a nice backyard with a nice mountain view. Price is a bit expensive though but worth the environment that you will enjoy.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms available in the Shimizu Inn.