All reviews local bath hot water bottles old building the owner dad bug generations observatory gumboots warmth tickets coupon spring bathing dishes accommodation pm
Selected filters
Reviewed December 11, 2018 via mobile

Very tip top Japanese hospitality. The lodging is more than 100 years old but it has stood the test of time. It's very well maintained. The family runs the business for four generations and remains to be very passionate about hosting guests. They offer a tour around the village at 4pm and it's very informative. Dinner was great and representative of the regions production. They offer bath at a nearby onsen. It's strategic located in between the observatory and the village. Would definitely recommend friends to stay for a night!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2018

We are glad we have picked this warm & comfortable “family-run” hotel from where you will experience high quality of service & food, thoughtfulness, smiles, kindness & great hospitality!

The room "Hakusan" we picked is the only one with private bathroom out of the four rooms in the hotel. The room charge included dinner & breakfast. Father & son are the chefs to make those meals for the guests. What an amazing art of food we have ever tried!

A coupon was given to every guest to enjoy free onsen which is about 5-minutes walk from the hotel. They sent us to the onsen & picked us back to the hotel because it was raining. Thank Nana (the youngest daughter who can speak English well) & all the family members to make this hotel a home-feel place for us!

We really enjoyed our stay there & will definitely come again if we shall visit Shirakawa-go in the future!

Room tip: Hakusan - the only one room with private bathroom out of the four rooms in the hotel
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Shiroyamakan for 1 night in early April. I wanted to stay within walking distance to Shirakawago, and a room with good view, but there aren’t many good accommodation there. I read the reviews about all accommodations around Shirakawago and decided to compromise by picking Shiroyamakan. For me the idea of not having a bath or toilet in the room was really terrible. However, my reasons for choosing Shiroyamakan are: the location, a room with good view and private dining. Luckily, the experience turned out to be a lot better than I thought.

If I remember correctly, the host told me that building itself was over 100 years old. However, the shared toilet were renovated (thank goodness). I had the Seseragi room, which has vey nice view of the Sho river. In addition, staying in an old building made the experience at Shirakawago a bit more interesting.

When I arrived, they warned me about stink bugs (shield bugs) as the season was changing. There were actually many stink bugs in my room. I caught and disposed about 20 of them. For those who don’t like bug, don’t stay there in spring.

As they don’t have bathroom, they gave me a coupon for bathing at the hot spring nearby. I didn’t bother asking for a drop off, but walked to the hot spring after dinner. The street was quite dark and scary as I was by myself. The hot spring wasn’t very relaxing because there were many people.

Both dinner and breakfast at Shiroyamakan were good and very well presented. They served dinner in private dinning rooms, but breakfast was served in common dinning hall.

They had a mini tour of Shirakawago in late afternoon, when most tourists had already left the village. The owner of Shiroyamakan took us to a number of photogenic spots and the observatory point on the hill. The place was actually closed to general public at that time of the day, but we could still get in as a tour group of Shiroyamakan. I was impressed by this fact. It was really good to have the whole observatory for ourselves. Thanks to that I had plenty of good photos. The owner doesn’t speak English, so they gave me English audio guide, which was a brilliant idea.

When I made the booking at their website, they did not have the option for single occupancy of the room. I traveled by myself, but I didn’t mind and in fact had prepared to pay for 2 people. (Few others ryokans that I have been to actually charged for 2 people even though I travelled solo). To my surprise, when I checked out, Shiroyamakan charged me only half of what they quoted. They only charged for one person. This really impressed me.

In summary, I like their tour, their food, the location and the view from the Seseragi room. Comparing the amount of money that I paid to the service that I received, I think the stay was not expensive at all.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank ChinLa
Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

Well it appears as if not all ryokans are the same. And Shiroyamakan shines above many of the ryokans we stayed in. It’s a family owned and run place, and the entire family, mother and father, one brother and three sisters plus some young kids live on the first floor while guests are hosted on the second. The warmth of the family is catchy and we immediately felt at home. The food was excellent, prepared by the family men and tasted delicious. The father takes his guests for a tour of Shirakawa by his car that leaves at exactly 4:00 pm. Since we arrived at 4:02, we obviously missed it. So he took us for a special tour later in the afternoon. What a treat!
The view from our room was so relaxing, with the cherry trees blossoming just a few yards off our window. The village itself is worth a detour, so if you decide to go there, Shiroyamakan is the place to stay.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tsico H
Reviewed January 10, 2018

Shiroyamakan is conveniently located right opposite the Shirakawa-go bus centre, at the entrance to the gassho hut village. My family stayed here over the Christmas period and absolutely loved this place! The family that run this historic hotel are such lovely people and very thoughtful - from the gumboots they lent us to walk around in the snow to the hot water bottles they put at the feet end of our beds - every possible detail has been seen to and attended. Yuki and her sister were our main hosts during the stay and they were so graceful and attentive - I only wish to be half as graceful as them! We also went along for the tour which featured English commentary which was again very thoughtfully arranged.

The building apparently is built in the late Meiji era and despite its age, kept immaculately clean and tidy. There's even a retro tap and sink area at the shared toilets at the back of the building which we found quite cute. Our room did not come with private shower/bath facilities but we were given passes to the local bath house literally 2 minutes walk away which had both indoor and balcony view baths (bathing in the balcony onsen and looking at the snowfall outside is such an indulgence!).

The cuisine prepared by the father/owner is absolutely amazing, we were so full from the initial courses and were surprised when more and more dishes started appearing. The food wasn't just a pleasure to look at, the taste was just fantastic! The mother also came out to greet us in the morning when we left to catch our bus. They're such a lovely family, so warm and caring. We felt sad leaving so early in the morning!

Could not have booked a better accommodation for our family trip to Shirakawa-go, so glad we chose to stay with Shiroyamakan. This will be the only place I'll stay at if I visit the area again, and have recommended to family and friends.

Date of stay: December 2017