“Paradise Among to Clouds”

Finca Neblina del Bosque
Ranked #10 of 20 Esteli B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The primary reason I wanted to take our children (ages 10 & 13) on their first international trip was to show them that other worlds exist. I can think of no greater paradise than the one we discovered at Finca Neblina del Bosque.

The secondary reason I wanted to take my kids overseas was to share with them to power of knowing a bit of the native language at hand. Though I am not a native Spanish speaker, I did pay attention in Spanish classes and practiced every chance I got. I spent 6 total months in 4 Spanish speaking countries between ages 17-19. That experience solidified enough Spanish to be able to speak and understand conversational Spanish at about 90%+ . Speaking Spanish and learning to be open to the local customs and norms, set you up for amazing advantages in sharing in local community.

During our 20 day trip in Nicaragua, we left some fluid spaces for times not carved in stone. By having this flexibility, fate lead us to this spot in the cool mountains.

Completely off the grid and existing in its own little dream world is the most delightful bubble of what heaven must be like.

The hotel Dream Builders, Isabel and Roberto, shared with us their lives and their vision that is Finca Neblina del Bosque. It's hard to believe they have accomplished so much in just 6 years.

We were expected, like family expects your arrived for a holiday weekend. Isabel greeted us enthusiastically for our 2 night/3 day stay. We were treated warmly by everyone we encountered, from the attentive staff and to the helpful and kind locals that trickled by.

Every meal was a marvel. Eduardo gets up each morning to fetch fresh milk from a cow he combs the mountain pastures to find in the pre-dawn mountain mist. I wonder how many hotel visitors think about that as they pour in into their coffee each morning? Or look over their should to see the coffee plants that probably produced what was in that morning's dark brew?

Banana crepes with dark chocolate drizzel... Pork stews... Roasted chickens... cold beers... Fresh squeezed lemonades... Plaintains prefectly pan fried...

The views were breath taking. The oxen plowed feilds and dark fertile soil was teaming with life. Animals were everywhere. Being in this places is like walking in a live version of a "The Farmer Says" See n'Say toy. "And the Turkey says... Gooble-Gooble."

Isabel has touched this place through her love and her art. She's painted the bus stop, and the hotel signs, and other signs along her stretch of influence in those woods.. Bright colors, wildlife, plants... she's painted happiness wherever her brushes touched.

Eduardo was inquisitive about how we might like to spend our time. We took him up on an offer to arrange a horseback ride. At the time we discussed, their were 4 horses and a guide ready to take us on an adventure. All of the horses were gentle and kind. We clopped along the rocky mountain road surrounded by nature and purity.

Our Spanish-Only speaking guide was open to my questions about local life. When I asked him what the local life expectancy was, he replied 100 to 105. His grandmother had passed at 108. I guess there's something to be said for a life lived with fresh air, fresh water, organic foods, and plenty of exercise gained from living on the land.

I was shocked at all that Isabel and Eduardo were able to accomplish using solar power. There was plenty of electricity to run all the lights, the freezer in the kitchen, power to charge electronics devices, power to run the TV and DVD player,... enough for all the demands placed on it during our stay.

The artistically designed outdoor showers were divine. The solar heated water got hot enough that I had to mix in some cold water to bring the temperature down. Eduardo shared with me a visit to one of the other cabins to see a new leaf-shaped water basin. Installed that morning, it's recycled glass pieces were still wet in their setting. The sink water cascaded into a waterfall over the well laid art.

Everything about this space is well thought out execution of a dream. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place.

In this spot deep in the Miraflor, I was able to share with my kids and my Soul Sister an experience that strips away much of the American influence. We all came comfortably close to what life might be like to live in a dream.

Room Tip: They larger house on the hill is great for large groups. The early morning views of farm life unfol...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ginger L

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Not a naive traveler, but this place has some work to do if they want to have more business. Food was the best part and it was very good. But the rooms were not as "billed". The "sleeps 4" casita would sleep 4 children and even at that one of them would fall out of the small bed before night's end! "Hot" shower was not. Prices for horseback riding was surprisingly increased AFTER our group was loaded on the horses. It's a fairly typical Nicaraguan road up there (dirt and rock) and the area is pretty.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Gracemom20
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice photos and could be a gorgeous place to stay if the owner would care for their guest, which they obviously dont!
The place has tremendous potential but the owners MUST understand that if you don't care about what you claim to have: ...NO water to shower, none to flush the toilet, no one to repair it even though other 'habitations' were working fine.
Food was OK but we felt we were bothering them.
One guide was very nice with us though!
I had reserved for a guide to check orchids 1 month before... Isabel (german owner) phoned him only on arrival.....and couldn't reach him for the 3 days we stayed there.

There are lots of more humble and cheaper fincas around and I would certainly choose another one even if lodging is more basic. I met the owner of another finca and she was generous in time and very welcoming and courteous.

Neblina del Bosque has a very nice facade with no substance....

Stay away

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Louis D
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The physical environment of Finca Neblina was stunning, as were the cabins. However, we found the host to be rather unprofessional when it came to handling our bill. When we asked for our bill, the man in charge added it up in his head (he didn't bother to get up from having lunch with a friend) and there was a discrepancy of forty-dollars in what was only a one-night stay. When we asked for an itemized run down of our consumption, he did not challenge us on the discrepancy. Perhaps this was an honest mistake; perhaps not.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lascolinas15
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had a great time at Finca Neblina del Bosque for two nights at the start of my trip in Nicaragua. The cabins are adorable and the bed was super comfortable and I was very grateful for the warm comforter. The porch swing was great to sit and read, while looking out over the farm and hills, but could have used a cushion as it got uncomfortable after awhile. The outdoor shower was hot, but a little awkward as it would be really easy for others to watch you shower from the big house above the cabins. I felt very uncomfortable while I was showering for fear staff or other guests would walk out on the porch and be able to see me. I think they need to provide a roof or something to provide a little more privacy.
The food was great and always a good portion. Coffee was readily available, day and night, as was chamomile tea.
I went on a guided hike with staff and was able to see a lot of reserve behind the hotel. I walked on my own also down the roads, looking at other farms, and seeing the reserve. I didn't appreciate how unique Miraflor is, in that its really truly community-based tourism, in the rest of Nicaragua. Its definitely worth spending some time there. I was travelling alone, and was a little bored at times, but for a couple or a family - this would be the perfect spot! Highly highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My mom and i had a wonderful 2 days at finca neblina del bosque! Eduardo and isabelle are wonderful hosts and have set up a truely breathtaking hostel... We stayed in one of the bamboo cabins which have wonderful views and great outdoor showers! This is a place where u really experience nautre at its best: amazing birds everywhere, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys and a wonrful dog! Eduardo even took us to milk the cows next doors for a glass of fresh milk in the morning! The set up is priceless with dozens of different flowers! They serve good organic food and everything is super eco with solar panels to power the whole place! I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and really liked it. Beautiful environment, how relax and quiet...!
Beautiful setting/view of the cabins, great garden with so many different plants and flowers.
Cabins were clean and oke, good bed (an extra chair/sofa in the cabin would be great for the dark cold nights there), great warm shower.
Food we got served was excellent, fresh and tasteful.
In the morning they played (too) early music in the restaurant, which we found a petty, better to hear the birds....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esteli
Hotel Don Vito
#1 of 6 in Matagalpa
Finca Lindos Ojos
Finca Lindos Ojos
#4 of 20 in Esteli

Been to Finca Neblina del Bosque? Share your experiences!