“BAD SERVICE”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Chowder House

Chowder House
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Halifax, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BAD SERVICE”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was at the Chowder house on October 8th and 9th and it was a cold windy day. We had the seafood chowder and we really enjoyed it, we also shared a lobster club but the lobster was so tough that we actually couldn't eat it. My biggest complaint would have to be the blond lady that waited on us. She was very rude and didn't seem the least bit interested in answering our questions and made us feel like we were imposing on her. I thought that you are suppose to treat customers nicely but if so she could certainly take a few lessons how to do that. The last review before mine sounds like they had the same lady that I did. The food might be good at the Chowder House but the service on the 2 days that we were there sure could have been better!!

1 Thank Michelle G

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
“Great food, good stuffing and very decent prices”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I will not be exaggerating if I say this was one of the best seafoods I had in Nova Scotia. Coming from Toronto we're tired of paying high prices for pea-sized bites of lobsters. But this here is a prized place to fill oneself up before hiking the Franey. Their chowders are served to-go day long so even if you're in rush you can simply pop in and get one to go. We were in a rush so didn't try their sit-in, but had a lobster roll (on tortilla) and chowder. Both were excellent (though I find sandwich more appealing than tortilla). The chowder was chock full of large chunks of real meat, very yum. I urge everyone to visit the place.

My only criticism is that at 11 in the morning (when they opened), the waiting lady at the counter already looked tired. She had no smile and no enthusiasm, which is understandable as she has probably been doing this work day over day, year over year. Thanks Chowder House, you made our stop over at Neil's Harbour very worthwhile.

California
“What a find!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were just wandering around Cape Breton and came across this place. It is really off the beaten track on the east side of the island. The food was absolutely delicious. Four of us had different things and they were all good. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

Limington, Maine
“Best value anywhere”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Extraordinary pies and seafood are just the beginning here. Baked goods are delicious and the service is terrific.

Visited October 2013
Nova Scotia
“A fair feed for a good price”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This quaint off the beaten path restaurant is fantastic! Great for the whole family and a great price for great quality seafood. Neil's Harbour is about 10 minutes off the Cabot Trail (Cape Breton National Park) but well worth the drive. Better come with a hearty appetite as the portions are fair and the food delicious.We had a bucket of mussels to start and my wife had the chowder and I had the fish and chips. You know this place is a winner when the locals eat there regularly.

The views from restaurant (located beside the lighthouse) are glorious and as picturesque as you could want.

Money wise it is reasonable.

Just a note .... it could be a bit of a wait due to it's popularity, but you could get those scenic shots (or go get an ice cream at the lighthouse while you wait!)