Ways to Experience Miravalles Volcano
from $177.70
from $173.34
from $173.34
More Info
All reviews mud bath suspension bridge hot springs zip lining horseback riding change of clothes costa rica take photos sauna hanging adventure lunch scenery wildlife river
Selected filters
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went with Papagayo tours, which I highly recomend. We had a great time riding the horses seeing the water fall, doing the mud baths, ate a nice sea bass at the restaurant. Practically impossible not to like

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I, along with two other couples went zip-lining at Miravalles. Our tour was through Avispas Adventures (http://papagayotourscostarica.typepad.com/avispas_adventures/tours/) and our guide, Chepe, was terrific.

Chepe made a couple of stops for us along our way to Miravalles, including a beautiful waterfall which we were able to swim in/around - just breath-taking. He also made sure to stop and let us take photos of Miravalles as we approached it (the landscape is just beautiful).

Avispas seems like they always want to throw in personal touches, and once Chepe found out that we all like to try local cousine and food, he made stops a long the way to pick up local (but exotic for us) fruit, and on the way home took us to a place that served ceviche (mmmm!).

Once at Miravalles, we were off zip-lining. Here our two guides; Louis & Gorge were fantastic & so much fun. We were always clipped into something (A tree, a guide, or the cable itself), so I always felt safe, even though I was scared to try zip lining. I am glad I went though, as it was so much fun!!! Louis was great & took our cameras so we could get photos of us on the lines. He even got some landscape shots for us :)

On our hike up the volcano, we even got to see some monkeys (white-faced) and an agouti.

Our day was jammed packed with activities, but we were never rushed. This tour included the zip-lining, a fantastic lunch, horse back riding & a stop at a hotsprings. Chepe seemed all too pleased watching us discover new things about Costa Rica, and encouraged us to stay at each activity as long as we wanted. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to experience Miravalles!

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our tour started off with a horseback ride up to the waterfalls. It was a lot of fun and my horse was really sweet. Some of the other people in our group had not been around horses before and were a little intimidated though. I think they have a tractor that can take you if you don't want to do the horses though.

The waterfalls were so beautiful! It was a nice hike through the jungle up past several. The guide lets you stop and take pictures and even offered to take pictures for us the whole way. He didn't talk much or tell us anything about the area, but it was enough to just see it. You then have to hike back down the way you came and take the horses back down to the bottom.

Lunch was really good at this little restaurant. I had the chicken and my husband had the fish which were both excellent. The drink they serve you (soursop, I think?) was really tasty!

The crater of the volcano was cool, but stinky from the sulpher. Our guide was a little lackluster there as well, but was very informative. He even drew on our faces with iron and mud from the mud baths and painted us all up. It was really funny.

We chose not to do the mud baths as there was a dead dog laying not 10 feet from where the baths were that they hadn't disposed of yet. We were pretty put off by that but it didn't ruin our trip. We did sit in the hot springs for a while though and they were very relaxing. The showers were very interesting!

All in all, a very fun day with great views and lots of interesting stuff to do. I would reccomend it!

Date of experience: June 2012
2  Thank Hollaleigh
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Definately a fun place to spend the day! It's pretty awesome to see the crater in person and spend time in the mud and hot springs. The place was very quite and me and my husband pretty much had the entire place to our selves which was great! We took a horse back ride up to the rainforest to see a waterfall and crossed a hanging bridge. We were able to do a variety of things in one day which was worth the price. It was a great place to visit and lunch was great.

Date of experience: June 2012
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife and I, along with 3 other couples did a road trip up to Las Hornillas Hot Springs, Las Hornillas is located at the base of Volcan Miravalles in Guanacaste Costa Rica. The roads getting there were surprisingly good considering the state of the Costa Rican highway system. Once we got there, we parked our cars and walked down a partially graveled road to the reception office. There we paid our fee to get in. In somewhat broken English, we learned of two tours that were being offered. The shorter of thew two tours (90 minutes) cost us $47.00 each and that included lunch. The other tour was the same except it lasted an additional 30 minutes. For that they wanted $55.

After a very good lunch featuring a typical Costa Rican meal (casado), we headed out in an open air trailer of sorts, pulled by a rather toxic spewing tractor. Not good after a very filling lunch. This 30 minute plus trip should NOT be done on a full stomach if one in prone to motion sickness.

Once we arrived at our destination, we proceeded on talking a tour with a bi-lingual guide. Unfortunately, he was almost a complete mute for he said NOTHING unless we asked him something.

The scenery was beautiful and we had great fun walking the well marked paths and crossing 2 small hanging bridges.

When we were done, we doubled back to the toxic trailer for the equally bumpy ride back to the parking lot. From there we changed into our swim wear and headed to the mud pits and hot springs.

This was my first visit to a mud pit and my expectations were (apparently) greater than what was delivered. On first glance, it looked like we were walking into an industrial waste dump. While my seven friends waded in (barely ankle deep) into the hot sludge, I stayed out and took pictures.

After slopping on sufficient mud, we all showered off and took a dip into (what they call) a hot spring. At best, it was tepid!

Suffice it to say, we had a good time but that was due to the company we kept. The place was overpriced by at least a factor of two. $47 for a couple may have been fair but that would be stretching it.

I can't speak for my friends but this reviewer will NOT return nor will I recommend Las Hornillas.

Date of experience: May 2012