“Las Hornillas Volcano Hot Springs at Miravalles Volcano”
Review of Miravalles Volcano

Miravalles Volcano
Book In Advance
More Info
$150.00*
and up
Miravalles Volcano and Waterfalls from Playa...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Meet authentic Costa Rica. Off the beaten path:Zip lines, jungle hikes, bar, restauran, karaoke. Located in the small village of Guayabal, halfway between Guayabo and Aguas Claras.
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We spent a very enjoyable afternoon at the Las Hornillas Volcano Activity Center. After a delicious lunch (cosada con pescado) we took the tractor ride into the rainforest, which was lots of fun. The hike to the waterfalls was beautiful. The suspension bridges provide unique access and great views of the river and the falls, and the rainforest is breathtaking. The waterfalls are very dramatic (it's the rainy season, so there was plenty of water), and the vegetation was spectacular.

The area of volcanic activity, while small, was still very dramatic. The sauna, baths, hot springs and mud baths were very relaxing and everyone who worked there was extremely friendly and helpful. Our van had a mechanical problem, and one of the young men spent quite a bit of time helping us to get it running again.

This was a great afternoon in a place that felt decidedly non-touristy. I highly recommend it.

3  Thank Janetbme
"tour company"
"an adventure"
"flip flops"

Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went with Papagayo tours, which I highly recomend. We had a great time riding the horses seeing the water fall, doing the mud baths, ate a nice sea bass at the restaurant. Practically impossible not to like

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I, along with two other couples went zip-lining at Miravalles. Our tour was through Avispas Adventures (http://papagayotourscostarica.typepad.com/avispas_adventures/tours/) and our guide, Chepe, was terrific.

Chepe made a couple of stops for us along our way to Miravalles, including a beautiful waterfall which we were able to swim in/around - just breath-taking. He also made sure to stop and let us take photos of Miravalles as we approached it (the landscape is just beautiful).

Avispas seems like they always want to throw in personal touches, and once Chepe found out that we all like to try local cousine and food, he made stops a long the way to pick up local (but exotic for us) fruit, and on the way home took us to a place that served ceviche (mmmm!).

Once at Miravalles, we were off zip-lining. Here our two guides; Louis & Gorge were fantastic & so much fun. We were always clipped into something (A tree, a guide, or the cable itself), so I always felt safe, even though I was scared to try zip lining. I am glad I went though, as it was so much fun!!! Louis was great & took our cameras so we could get photos of us on the lines. He even got some landscape shots for us :)

On our hike up the volcano, we even got to see some monkeys (white-faced) and an agouti.

Our day was jammed packed with activities, but we were never rushed. This tour included the zip-lining, a fantastic lunch, horse back riding & a stop at a hotsprings. Chepe seemed all too pleased watching us discover new things about Costa Rica, and encouraged us to stay at each activity as long as we wanted. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to experience Miravalles!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our tour started off with a horseback ride up to the waterfalls. It was a lot of fun and my horse was really sweet. Some of the other people in our group had not been around horses before and were a little intimidated though. I think they have a tractor that can take you if you don't want to do the horses though.

The waterfalls were so beautiful! It was a nice hike through the jungle up past several. The guide lets you stop and take pictures and even offered to take pictures for us the whole way. He didn't talk much or tell us anything about the area, but it was enough to just see it. You then have to hike back down the way you came and take the horses back down to the bottom.

Lunch was really good at this little restaurant. I had the chicken and my husband had the fish which were both excellent. The drink they serve you (soursop, I think?) was really tasty!

The crater of the volcano was cool, but stinky from the sulpher. Our guide was a little lackluster there as well, but was very informative. He even drew on our faces with iron and mud from the mud baths and painted us all up. It was really funny.

We chose not to do the mud baths as there was a dead dog laying not 10 feet from where the baths were that they hadn't disposed of yet. We were pretty put off by that but it didn't ruin our trip. We did sit in the hot springs for a while though and they were very relaxing. The showers were very interesting!

All in all, a very fun day with great views and lots of interesting stuff to do. I would reccomend it!

2  Thank Hollaleigh