“Nice place, organization & food just alright”

Belum Rainforest Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gerik
Windhoek
“Nice place, organization & food just alright”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

The rooms and surroundings are really nice and have a very 'eco' feel to it. The infinity pool overlooking the lake is very nice! The organization could be better, the reception staff couldn't tell us where to go for a walk, they had no idea that the trail on the map they gave us was not the same as a 2 hour hike that's also mentioned on the map. Breakfast and dinner in the Hornbill restaurant are not above average.

Stayed July 2014
noryasmi, Guest Relations Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for choosing Belum Rainforest Resort for your recent stay in Malaysia.It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We have shared your feedback with entire team. The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory.

Thank you again for posting your review, we look forward to your return visit!

Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I decided to write a review for this resort because I personally believe that this place and this resort can become one of the most important tourist spot in the near future, both local and international.

Generally, i m satisfied with my 3d2n stay with the resort. I do encounter a few glitches, from reservation till my check out, and sometimes I can't help but start comparing the resort to other 4-5 stars resort(eg. Rasa Sayang, Banjaran, etc)... but I can say that the staffs are very polite, and helpful and they had sorted most problems i encountered during my stay.

lets start with the good things: phase 2 of the resort (the luxurious side) is still very new, and I really like their room design for deluxe suite. The deluxe suite lake view on the 1st floor is highly recommended for anyone planning of going there for a couple trip. The full day tour to belum state park is an eye opener to many to the wonders of nature. Most tour guides for the day trip are really knowledgeable, seasoned, and polite. My tour guide, en basri deserved all the praise for all the information and forest facts he showed us along the way in that 6 hours tour. The counter staffs, restaurant staffs are lovely and polite, too. In addition, I was delighted by their good command of english ( as compared to other resort, eg. Jerai)

However, there are a few minor points that need improvement.
1. permit application for royal belum/reservation:
- Apparently, the information after reservation, asking you to send in your travel doc (IC, passport) for jungle trekking permit to the address "reservation@belumresort.com" was not valid. I send in my first application via the email given, only to notice that it was failed permanently the next morning. Subsequently, I sent another email, in the form a "reply" to the email address that was sent to me during reservation comfirmation. The 2nd email was successfully replied with all my information for permit application, but there was no feedback from the resort till I phone them 2 days later, only to find that they haven't opened my email. However, the receptionist over the phone made swift response by saying that they will take note and process my permit. Finally, my visit to royal belum was undeterred.
2. Dinner buffet? or Ala carte?
-I made the booking with the promise that on both nights of my stay, there will be buffet dinner. It was supposed to be something like part of the package. However, no buffet dinner was served to us throughout. We were offered ala carte menu, but honestly, it felt sucks when your expectation was dampened by sudden change without prior notice. Furthermore, the option of ala carte menu given to us was awfully limited in choice. I was really angry when I was instructed to make choice out of the "set menu" provided, which is very limited in choices. Luckily the restaurant staff was swift enough to anticipate my anger and disappointment and offer me extra things, like orange juice instead of compulsory tea or coffee as in accordance to the set menu... and on the 2nd day, they change the compulsory "mushroom soup" to salad. I do understand that the resort can't serve buffet when there is only 8-10 people around due to budget issue, but they could have made the alternative better. I once stay in one Cameron Highland hotel during the off peak season and encounter the similar problem, but what they offered me during my stay was all-I-can-eat from the menu as long as I m not hungry, as a compensation to the buffet cancellation. I was expecting the same from this 4-star resort but unfortunately, that's not the case. Neverthelss, the taste of their ala carte menu dishes are good, above average to excellent. The staffs too actually had done their part in trying to satisfy my expectation. Overall, the portion of the food was ok, and the taste was nice, but most importantly, i only forgave them because the staffs were nice and polite.

3. ?welcome drinks
-make sure you ask the receptionist about your welcome drink. The funny thing is they dont serve the welcome drinks in lobby... but in the nearer restaurant called SiDai. I think they forgot to tell me to get one, and i found out about the drink myself from other tourist...

4. limited activitiy
-dont get me wrong... the jungle trekking trip, the full day tour is awesome... but if you are staying there 3d2n, thats only 1d for the tour... the rest of the 2d2n... well, really nothing much there... the resort compound is too small for cycling activities... the kayak, rafting, swimming were not suitable at night, as well as blazing afternoon... and currently all forest trail was under maintenence due to recent forest fire. Hence, make sure you prepare few magazines before you went to the resort. Please be noted that television is not available in their superior room.

All in all, the power of the rainforest is the key factor that matters in my recent trip to belum forest reserve. I have the resort will be getting better as they grew with more experience. Visit now! before this place boomed into a tourist hotspot.

Room Tip: Deluxe suite, 1st floor, lake view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 991nbk
noryasmi, Guest Relations Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hi,

We have read your comments and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our resort. We acknowledge the mistakes of the relevant department and I have shared your feedback with the entire team as I know that they will appreciate the time you took to share your experience. However, we are currently taking step to ensure it does not happen again.

We appreciate the very nice comments and hope to have a chance to entertain you again in the future.

Best regards,
Malaysia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

It took me 2 e-mails, 1 Facebook message and 2 phone calls, before the reservation desk attended to my reservation enquiry. I sent the 1st enquiry mail to the e-mail address provided at their website (info@belumresort.com) and apparently, this is the e-mail address for their office in PJ, NOT the resort itself. I found out later that the correct address to use should have been reservation@belumresort.com (which is not stated at their website).

All in all, the entire reservation process was most frustrating because for whatever reason, the reservation desk decided to let the PJ office handle my enquiry (i.e. every time when I mail a question to them, they will need to check with Belum office before replying to me). All these added to more confusion / miscommunications and un-necessary delays. It also did not help that PJ office folks do not work on weekends.

But once everything was sorted out and reservation confirmed, things turned for the better.

The resort was very easy to locate and as per what many other viewers have commented - it is very contemporary & beautiful! I really like the resort's overall layout. Eventhough it was very modern, somehow it still managed to blend in well with the nature, thanks to the carefully preserved (and planted) flora and fauna surrounding the resort.

The room (executive deluxe) was big and comfortable, but if you can afford, do go for the Suite, so that you can enjoy the beautiful lake view.

There were slight problems here and there in the room – the sink is missing the sink stopper, the air-conditioner leaked at the last day of our stay and the toiletries provided were a bit below par. However, these were well compensated by the comfortable beds, well designed daybed, TV, Wifi and mozzie screens (so you can open the window to enjoy the cool breeze without worrying about the mozzies.)

Our package included breakfast and dinner but the food at the Hornbill restaurant was sub-par (I would rate it 3 star). The limited choices of food did not bother me too much, but cooking quality could certainly be improved. E.g. the omelet was a bit too oily while the sambal was too spicy. Also, one night, when the restaurant opened its door at 7pm for the dinner crowd, the buffet table was not even fully set up yet and the chef was still cooking in the kitchen. So, they ended up serving lamp chop without any sauce, and I had to request the kitchen for the French banquette for my son (which I knew they serve them as we had it the earlier night). The saving grace was their dessert, especially the local dessert.

The swimming pool was beautiful but unfortunately quite narrow. We were lucky as we had the entire pool to ourselves one morning.

Staff were mostly friendly and accommodating, but we did encounter a little hiccup with the person in charge of the board games. One night, we enquired at the reception counter if they had a games room and was told there are some board games kept at the hornbill restaurant area. The following night, we found the person in charge of the board game area and enquired about the board games. He promptly pointed us to reception counter! So, we went back to the reception counter. The lady handling the counter called him up and had to remind him that the board games were with him! Luckily, the kind lady was very pro-active and got us buggy to send us back to the Hornbill Restaurant. Instead of apologizing honestly for his mistake, the man blamed that my son didn’t explain what he wanted properly, thus the miscommunications. He seem to have forgotten that besides my son, I too asked him about the board game. So, it would seem rather strange that he could have had miscommunications with not one but two person? When we finally found a game that we thought we might like, we opened the box and found almost all game pieces missing. I can understand that he is not responsible for the missing pieces, but shouldn’t someone be responsible for making sure that the board games are properly maintained and replace them when they are no longer usable?

Also, when we were swimming at the pool, the attendant in charge of the towel was smoking. I wished I could tell him to stop smoking as the smell was not very pleasant, but I did not see a “no smoking” sign. Luckily he left after awhile.

One last point about the resort, we found that besides the swimming pool - there is really not much facilities / activities to do within the resort itself (surprisingly, I did not see any jungle trekking path there). I did see bicycles for rent, but I have no idea where to cycle to, as the resort ground is pretty small. I wonder if they could have opened up some jogging path or trekking path within the vicinity.

On a more positive note, our package came with the round island cruise and we had Mr Hassan as our guide. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. Alas, we realised that we didn't need the island cruise after all as we have also booked the Discover Belum Tour for the following day, which included a lot of time on the boat, hopping from one island to another, around the lake.

The highlight of our trip was the Discover Belum Tour itself. We have only praises for our guid (Ms Aisyah), as she was very friendly, knowledgeable and accoomodating. She noticed that my sons were not very accustomed wit the jungle and would check with me often if they are fine. We saw and learned so much in that half a day tour and can’t wait to go back, and maybe try the Temenggor Tour next. This is a Must Do for nature lovers, as Belum Rainforest is one of the oldest Rainforest In the world (I believe it is older than the Amazon Rainforest). There are so many interesting plants and animals.

Overall, I still gave this resort a 4 star rating despite the little hiccups here and there, as I came to Belum for the Rainforest experience, and the resort has proven to have pretty good guides and decently maintained boats (which to me, were the most important criteria). Moreover, I didn’t expect luxury 5 star treatment in a hotel at such a location, no matter how beautiful the architecture of the hotel is. Like I said, the staff are generally friendly and helpful. I would certainly give them credit for trying.

PS - if you are visiting the Orang Asli village there, do suggest that you bring small gifts (stationaries, food item or perhaps toys) for the children there. I think they will appreciate them.

Room Tip: Choose a Suite, or at least the room facing the lake (not the road)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Stayoshi
Hi,

Greetings from Belum Rainforest Resort!

We have read your comments about our reservation handling, Room Maintenance, Quality of Food and Facilities. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our resort. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us.

However, we are currently taking step to improve our service for all valued guest even we are still have some good facilities and services.

Once again please accept our sincere apology and thank you for your valuable time and feedback and hope we have a chance to entertain you again in the future.

Have a good day.
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good stuff - the building is BEAUTIFUL, our room was by far the best we stayed in, and the views are amazing.

The senior management were also ace - I fed back about a couple of things, and they were really responsive and helpful.

Nonetheless, there's a weird disconnect in the hotel. The food is pretty strange - Italian spaghetti dishes and bread and butter pudding (labelled as such) for breakfast, four items on the supper menu, and on the two days we ordered lunch half of the 6 options were "not available". When we went on the rainforest day trip (a series of 4 hikes each around 20 minutes, lots of time on the boat inbetween) the guide gave our vegetarian lunch to someone else (who enjoyed it) leaving us hungry. There are 6 chairs by the pool, and when we asked for a couple more - it's a 112 person hotel - we were told no. The senior management were wonderful - they organised the chef to cook something for us and he personally brought it to the room - but it sometimes felt like the hotel was being organised by people who has not thought about the processes necessary for a hotel to run. Nonetheless, for a beautiful place to chill out for a few days and enjoy the rainforest, this is a great option.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CF282
noryasmi, Guest Relations Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Good day,

Please accept our sincere apology. We have read your comments and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.
We also appreciate your feedback on the food at our restaurant and are currently taking steps to improve the food by introducing a new menu and better quality food and continue to be committed to provide all our guests with the highest standard of service in the industry.

Thank you once again for your valuable time and feedback.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I just stayed at this resort. It is a remarkable venue and we stayed in a wonderful room, enjoyed the sun and the excellent tour into the jungle (although our vegetarian meals were eaten by other members of our group much to our frustration). Whenever we had an issue, we took it up with he management, who were completely committed to ensuring we had a good stay and rectified any concern.

As for the restaurant, we were very appreciative of the extra effort that the chef put in to accomodate us vegetarians, but it would have been better if the menu already had 3-4 veggie options available.

Lastly, what feels strange is that this resort has a wonderful building and feels like it should be a worldclass hotel, but something is missing to bring the whole experience together.

Overall, a good time and pretty good value for money.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MackMackMack_12
Hi.

Thank you for choosing Belum Rainforest Resort as your “Gateway To Nature” destination.
We are extremely concerned to note your dissatisfaction for the said issues.

We would take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused that has happened to you and we sincerely hope that you will have no further cause for any complaint in our service and hope you are satisfied with the corrective action taken by us..

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The resort is a gem in the rainforest and those who are used to 5 star hotels would find similar comfort with an amazing experience to be surrounded by scenic views of nature. We stayed 2 nights at the 1st floor of the new wing with modern architecture, well designed room and spacious bathroom. The buffet at the Hornbill had excellent choices of local and international cuisine. There was wifi throughout the resort and satelite TV. Don't miss the round island trip and if we had the time, it would have been interesting to take a tour of the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachLovingBanker
noryasmi, Guest Relations Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Hi,

Thank you so much for your beautiful review. We are very happy that we able to contribute to a memorable stay of yours and definitely will be delighted to welcome you back next time you arrive to Belum Rainforest Resort.

Best Regards.
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, visiting Malaysia in a tour. We had a very nice stay. I got the deluxe superior room, there was enough space for 3 persons. A nice bathroom. We did Outdoor activity's like hiking with at the end a wonderfull view. The nice swimming pool was also very welcomevafter a hot day. If i can say one thing is maybe the hotel can open an own bar in the restaurant area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marjolein H
noryasmi, Guest Relations Manager at Belum Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice feedback, we appreciated all your comments and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. We hope to welcome you soon again.

Best Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerik
Mandarin Betong
Mandarin Betong
#2 of 4 in Betong
Betong Merlin Hotel
Betong Merlin Hotel
#3 of 4 in Betong
Pangkor Waterfall Beach Resort
Belum Eco-Resort Sdn.Bhd.

Been to Belum Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!