I decided to write a review for this resort because I personally believe that this place and this resort can become one of the most important tourist spot in the near future, both local and international.
Generally, i m satisfied with my 3d2n stay with the resort. I do encounter a few glitches, from reservation till my check out, and sometimes I can't help but start comparing the resort to other 4-5 stars resort(eg. Rasa Sayang, Banjaran, etc)... but I can say that the staffs are very polite, and helpful and they had sorted most problems i encountered during my stay.
lets start with the good things: phase 2 of the resort (the luxurious side) is still very new, and I really like their room design for deluxe suite. The deluxe suite lake view on the 1st floor is highly recommended for anyone planning of going there for a couple trip. The full day tour to belum state park is an eye opener to many to the wonders of nature. Most tour guides for the day trip are really knowledgeable, seasoned, and polite. My tour guide, en basri deserved all the praise for all the information and forest facts he showed us along the way in that 6 hours tour. The counter staffs, restaurant staffs are lovely and polite, too. In addition, I was delighted by their good command of english ( as compared to other resort, eg. Jerai)
However, there are a few minor points that need improvement.
1. permit application for royal belum/reservation:
- Apparently, the information after reservation, asking you to send in your travel doc (IC, passport) for jungle trekking permit to the address "email@example.com" was not valid. I send in my first application via the email given, only to notice that it was failed permanently the next morning. Subsequently, I sent another email, in the form a "reply" to the email address that was sent to me during reservation comfirmation. The 2nd email was successfully replied with all my information for permit application, but there was no feedback from the resort till I phone them 2 days later, only to find that they haven't opened my email. However, the receptionist over the phone made swift response by saying that they will take note and process my permit. Finally, my visit to royal belum was undeterred.
2. Dinner buffet? or Ala carte?
-I made the booking with the promise that on both nights of my stay, there will be buffet dinner. It was supposed to be something like part of the package. However, no buffet dinner was served to us throughout. We were offered ala carte menu, but honestly, it felt sucks when your expectation was dampened by sudden change without prior notice. Furthermore, the option of ala carte menu given to us was awfully limited in choice. I was really angry when I was instructed to make choice out of the "set menu" provided, which is very limited in choices. Luckily the restaurant staff was swift enough to anticipate my anger and disappointment and offer me extra things, like orange juice instead of compulsory tea or coffee as in accordance to the set menu... and on the 2nd day, they change the compulsory "mushroom soup" to salad. I do understand that the resort can't serve buffet when there is only 8-10 people around due to budget issue, but they could have made the alternative better. I once stay in one Cameron Highland hotel during the off peak season and encounter the similar problem, but what they offered me during my stay was all-I-can-eat from the menu as long as I m not hungry, as a compensation to the buffet cancellation. I was expecting the same from this 4-star resort but unfortunately, that's not the case. Neverthelss, the taste of their ala carte menu dishes are good, above average to excellent. The staffs too actually had done their part in trying to satisfy my expectation. Overall, the portion of the food was ok, and the taste was nice, but most importantly, i only forgave them because the staffs were nice and polite.
3. ?welcome drinks
-make sure you ask the receptionist about your welcome drink. The funny thing is they dont serve the welcome drinks in lobby... but in the nearer restaurant called SiDai. I think they forgot to tell me to get one, and i found out about the drink myself from other tourist...
4. limited activitiy
-dont get me wrong... the jungle trekking trip, the full day tour is awesome... but if you are staying there 3d2n, thats only 1d for the tour... the rest of the 2d2n... well, really nothing much there... the resort compound is too small for cycling activities... the kayak, rafting, swimming were not suitable at night, as well as blazing afternoon... and currently all forest trail was under maintenence due to recent forest fire. Hence, make sure you prepare few magazines before you went to the resort. Please be noted that television is not available in their superior room.
All in all, the power of the rainforest is the key factor that matters in my recent trip to belum forest reserve. I have the resort will be getting better as they grew with more experience. Visit now! before this place boomed into a tourist hotspot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belum Rainforest Resort is one of Malaysia's premier ecotourism holiday destinations. Set in the midst of a tropical paradise, Pulau Banding, the Belum Rainforest Resort, is everything nature-lovers and holiday-goers expect in a getaway destination: complete relaxation and serenity, stunning views and surroundings, adventure, and the chance to get close to nature.With the Belum-Temengor Rainforest literally at their doorstep, guests at the resort will have a rare opportunity to experience the soothing beauty and mystery of the vast jungle, which has remained untouched for centuries. Nature lovers will revel at the chance to observe the beauty of plants and scenery that can be found only rarely elsewhere. Meanwhile, thrilling outdoor activities await adventure seekers who crave for adrenaline-pumping experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belum Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belum Rainforest Hotel Gerik
- Belum Rainforest Resort Malaysia/Gerik, Perak