“What a hidden gem!”

Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient
Ranked #2 of 2 Trient B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Myself and my wife came to stay here in 2013, we could not have been happier with out stay! For a start, what a view! The service is excellent, the food is wholesome and hearty, and the recently renovated lounge is a great place to relax after a long day. Pet hate in hotels is unclean pipes that serve the beer- perhaps due the renovations I can tell you the beer is delicious- the pipes must be very well taken care of. The rooms are simple, but the great price reflects this. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Alexlawrence86
There are newer reviews for Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent the recent holiday weekend there with my children to hike and explore the area. We were well received and looked after. The food was great and I felt it was excellent value for money when you consider the price of other hotels in the area. The owners were very helpful in suggesting suitable hikes and places to visit. It is a perfect place to stop of for hikers, and although I did not use the Sauna as I was with my children, that would be a real bonus after a hard day's hiking. The recently renovated lounge area was warm and welcoming. It felt like a home from home.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Whether you are a hiker, trail runner, or touring the Alps by car, this Auberge in the tiny, idyllic Swiss village of Trient is a must. We were hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc and stopped there for an evening en route simply because of the positive buzz we heard about the property from fellow hikers on the trail. We were not disappointed. What a charming, rustic, welcoming hotel! We ate a hearty, Michelin-worthy dinner - gorgeously presented - by candlelight in the dining area with an entire glass wall showcasing the rest of the village with the Alps as a backdrop. The setting sun threw a spray of pinks and oranges over the entire scene and we felt like we were in a Hollywood set. The excellent staff, especially John Wilson, made sure we were comfortable in our room (the property also has a great sauna!) and that we had plenty to eat and drink (the local wine is wonderful). In short, after a hard day on the trail, it was nirvana! In the morning, we had an exceptional breakfast and the picnic Vanessa packed us - the best of our ten-day hike :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
chris580371, Owner at Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Many thanks for such a great review! We were pleased to see you were well looked after by John and Vanessa!

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I was kind of looking forward to this place while walking the TMB because I've read positive reviews of the tomato fondue they serve. Well, it was good, yes, but we (a couple) had to share it with a total stranger who sat the chairs away from us. Also, they never told her she was supposed to share, so she and her family, who was eating a different dish, ate most of the potatos that went with the fondue!
They also sold us wine without warning us it was a sweet dessert wine that did not go with dinner!
But the worst experience was breakfast! Not enough seats for all, cold coffee and milk, 50 people trying to push their way to the table with two glasses of jam and two plates with bread. Horrible!
The dormitories were neither better nor worse then other places.
The bathroom was OK, with free warm water.

Avoid if you can!

• Stayed: September 2013
chris580371, Owner at Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your response. In our auberge when it's busy, we try and put like minded people to sit together who have ordered fondues, a way to meet others from all over the world and share a Swiss fondue! If there was a shortage of potatoes, we would have happily supplied them. Next summer there will be a larger variety of menus in the evening as well as for breakfasts. With kind regards, Chris

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Over the past few years I have always enjoyed my stays at the Auberge Mont Blanc. The food and beer is great and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. I have taken large groups of children here in the winter and guided trekking tours in the summer, no matter what the clientele the staff have accommodated and welcomed us. Under new ownership the Auberge is getting a new lease of life, with modernisation of many rooms, a sauna and a youthful energy to the place, I look forward to many more years of taking clients here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nomadic Guiding M
chris580371, Manager at Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Great review, many thanks and look forward to having you back at the new Auberge!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

What a nice surprise. I wandered in after taking the Postbus up from Martigny, and found an Auberge in transition, with a welcoming staff. Chris and his crew bought the place this past year, and are starting to make big investments. The new sauna caught me off guard-- a very decadent treat. The dinner was much higher quality than I would have expected, based on other hotels along the TMB route-- I'm a frequent traveler to this area.

The Auberge is being renovated right now-- one room, the living room-- was still being worked on. But, that had little impact on folks, as everyone was hanging out in the dining area prior to dinner.

There are also changes to the staff. I think some of the earlier reviews might have mentioned staff that aren't here any more? Not sure on this point, but everyone I met was very helpful and decent.

An aside-- I'm a trail runner. I took the bus up here to explore trail running in the area, and it looks superb. Not only are there lots of options, but you can run on the UTMB route... the actual route used by the most famous ultra going. Pretty cool, if you're in to that kind of stuff. (And Chris, the owner, is a UTMB runner too.)

Love this place, and can't wait to spent more time here. Unfortunately, work calls and I need to go home in a few days!

Room Tip: There's a variety-- dorms, and private rooms. It's very quiet in Trient, so no worries about...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank trailrunner1964
chris580371, Owner at Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Great feedback, thanks! We hope to start a trail running camp here as its perfect for training!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had a great experience at this place. It was clean, the food was tasty and I absolutely loved the location! It may look a little old from the outside, but the rooms were clean and overall I enjoyed my stay there. Highly recommended :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank gaiou37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trient
RockyPop Hotel
#4 of 14 in Les Houches
Relais d'Arpette
Relais d'Arpette
#1 of 3 in Champex

Been to Auberge Mont-Blanc Trient? Share your experiences!