“Fantastic value for money... Unless you're under 12...”

Club Med Arcs Extreme
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Les Arcs
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Club Med skiing is fantastic vfm and you know exactly what you're getting: a small, clean, basic room, masses of well cooked, varied food to suit all tastes, well- organised ski equipment service, transfers, lift passes etc. The buildings are a bit tired, but everything works and it really is ski in, ski out. They're in Arcs 2000, about 3 minutes walk from the village centre - but the walk isn't worth it, as there is only 1 small supermarket, a gourmet shop, an estate agent, several alpine restaurants and several skiwear shops
This was our third CM ski trip, but first one to Arcs Extreme. So, what is specific to Les Arcs? Well, the staff here are really good, led by the chef de village, Stephanie. The food is excellent (much better than Alpe d'Huez, same rating), with a wide variety of styles of main courses and excellent bar snacks at lunch and tea time. The rooms for 3 people are well laid out, with a slightly separate area for the singleton, and BBC1, BBC2 and BBC world service radio on the TV. All have a balcony and all floors over 3rd are very quiet. Masses of hot water for après ski showers! Slow lifts, but never a major issue (we were on the 11th floor). Only criticism of the room: our room got really hot at night, even with the radiator off, making it really difficult to sleep in comfort from about 3-5 am. Yes, really!
And now for the negative, already mentioned in another review. All CMs we have visited for skiing provide ESF lessons for all ages. Not Arcs Extreme, which does not teach below 12 years old. In fact, the week we were there was the first of the UK Easter hols, which meant there were 8 anglophone kids between the ages of 10 and 12, so CM managed to put together a class specially. And charged an extra 165 euros for 16h of group teaching, which was a little steep. This is NOT well-publicised on the website or on booking, so Caveat emptor!
We'll return next year, when our daughter will be 12, which means lessons won't be an issue...

Room Tip: For quiet, go high. For convenience, choose low and avoid the lifts!
1  Thank Pennydoctor

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is old and not very comfortable. The lifts are old and every day there is at list one that is out of order, There are a lot of staircases going down and up: to the ski room, to the dining room, from the rooms to the bar, after coming back from the ski it is very tiring to go up with all these stairs. The rooms are OK, the food is OK a lot of choices but not very tasty. The stuff is not like it used to be in club med, you can barely feel their presence.

2  Thank Estel E
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have just returned from Club Med Les Arcs Extreme and thought it nothing like some of the average reviews I read on trip advisor before leaving. I was expecting run down rooms but they were actually very clean and comfortable albeit of course on the small side typical of the French Alps. I was expecting chaos each morning as well after reading about the boot room. We found it well equipped with special boot driers, enough room for your gear but a little busy if you were leaving around ski school time, but certainly not "chaotic" as described

The place is superb value for money, on top of the food you get the Les Arcs lift pass, ski leading/tuition with the ESF team (on site and was excellent) plus the food itself was very wide ranging, it was well cooked and there was plenty of it. There were plenty of apres ski snacks during the day, fun drinks, pre dinner nibbles and cocktails plus the hotel team brought plenty of entertainment to their work. We did have one problem with the manager of the boutique but when it was brought to the attention of the resort manager it was resolved immediately, I wish every hotel solved things so well.

The location is also very good for the Les Arcs ski area, not only because you are more snow-sure up at 2000 but you have the chic 1950 on the doorstep and when some the lifts close for bad weather you can still ski a reasonable area, when we visited last week neither 1650 or 1800 could get up to us due to high winds on two occasions. Really nice and quite on the pistes!

If you want to spend 3 times as much for your holiday stay at Club Med Peisey-Villandry to get a pool and spa, you then sit halfway between Les Arcs and La Plagne, here you can use the Vanoise Express and play in both Paradiski and Les Arcs. But that's why you pay 3 times as much! We stayed at Arc 2000 Club Med, used the Les Sources de Marie spa in 1950 which was even nicer and took a day pass to Paradiski, this saved over £2k per person!

Be quick about staying at Arc Extreme though, the lease runs out soon and the last season looks to be 2015, there is talk that Club Med will renew but just in case get there in 2013.

Well done Les Arcs Extreme!

Few tips to finish:
1. If you do the included Club Med ski school/ski leading, ask the instructor and your group to meet at the top of the first button lift each morning to avoid queues.
2. Do the longest run in resort in the morning, Aiguille Rouge (3226m) down to Villaroger (1200m) which is about 8km long, do it non-stop and enjoy a few beers as reward in the Ferme restaurant at the bottom. It says it starts with "blacks" and "reds" but anyone past a snow ploughing can ski it as it is well pisted.
3. If driving, pre-book the Lac De Coombe car park just 50m from the hotel, choose Arc 2000 at parkinglesarcs.com, note it says the height limit is 1.83m but I saw Land Rover Discovery's with roof-boxes in there!
4. Buy the cheap equipment insurance offered with the ski's at Club Med, it includes piste assistance, if you need to come off on a sledge (as my wife did) they pay direct so no claim back needed.
5. Start eating at 7.30pm, it gets busiest at 8pm!

Room Tip: All the high rooms have good views, the lower rooms don't have the same views but are of course...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank RegTraveller111
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well 2 weeks to go and I queried the age of ski school (as I did before I booked) to be told first of all it was for all ages and then when I checked 20 minutes after it was for 12+ - and my son is 10. Best option offer for me was to cancel at 100% cost - yes this was their suggestion! I then asked if there was a ski school in the resort - I was told no but there is (it took me 2 minutes to find it via google) I then asked to change his ski hire to board hire a I would be able to teach him to board but again I was told there would be 100 cancellation fee. So I asked to speak to a team leader / manager but they were all at lunch - seriously things could not be made harder for me. Eventually they agreed to change my hire booking but as I have not received confirmation yet I am still to be convinced this has been done. What an awful company I only hope the holiday will be better - I managed to book his lessons via ski holiday extra - who were brilliant.

1  Thank paulsmithmk
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were a party of 10 blokes, (some might say "old gits") and we went for a week in January 2013. We all appreciated the free booze and snacks and multi choice lunch and dinner, A plentiful supply of raw oysters on the seafood night was a highlight for some of us. The two self service draft lager trolleys were used a lot, as there was often a bit of a wait at the "all inclusive bar", although the G&Ts and whiskys were generous and worth waiting for.

This is a large hotel and looking a tad worn, but everything worked, and the young staff worked hard and energetically to entertain with "revue" style entertainment until late every night.

Each of our double occupancy rooms had 3 x double beds and a shared balcony. The free wi-fi didn't reach any bedrooms and was alleged to work near the pool tables but we found it poor and unreliable.

The ski in / ski out claim is genuine but relies on a short poma lift to be running, and after a heavy snow fall it isn't the first to get opened. The walk into Les Arcs centre and other lifts is only about 5 to 10 mins.

As experienced ski-ers we wouldn't normally bother with lessons, but having benefited from tutored guiding at a Club Med last year, most of us did the same this time and it really paid off in improvements - although of course we didn't pay any extra for this.

I reckon that Club Med can be a bit of a bargain, taking into account all that is included for the price - ski carriage on the flight, transfers, lunch, snacks, lessons, booze etc. although ski hire wasn't cheap, some of our group saved about £50 by pre - booking at a local hire shop over the internet.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nsxandrew
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This Club Med is sitting in arcs 2000. You can go ski just in front of the hotel. For snowboarders, you have to walk 5 min. The hotel is a little bit off-centered but the animation is very pleasant. For the good, I give 3.5/5. The rooms are very small 12 to 15 square meter but you'll have all comfort. This resort is not recommanded for famille with children under 10 years old.

Room Tip: Chose the lower floor
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel was good. The food was unbeatable and the staff were great.
However, the transfer time from Grenoble to Les Arcs on the Club website claims 2 hours.
After 2 hours the coach pulled into a scruffy transport cafe where we were ripped off big time.
For 5 tins of soft drink and 5 baguette slices we were charged E50! The transfer was 3.5 hours.
The return to the Airport, without stopping took 3 hours, leaving at 5.45 am on a Sunday, in perfect weather conditions, and no traffic delays.
When I informed Club Med about this, because there was no Club Med Rep on the coach, their reply was that the transfer was not their responsibility, and allowances had to be made for weather, traffic etc. It would be impossible to complete the transfer in 2 hours.
If the transfer isn't their responsibility, when it's included in the package, whose is it?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends