“Great Location Makes it Above Average”
Review of Hotel du Golf

Hotel du Golf
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Les Arcs
Reviewed April 15, 2012

positives:
- extremely close to the ski lift, ski rental store and ski storage room, among others.
- very spacious and bright
- comfortable bar to have a drink at night
- the service was very friendly and polite
- good showers
negatives
- apart from their buffet they had two restaurants which you had to book in advance for and were either full or closed all of the nights we tried to book
- spa is small and you have to book in advance (was full the first day we wanted to go)
- if you get one of the rooms that are on the opposite side from reception you have to walk a long distance each time you forget something and want to go get it

Room Tip: Ask for a room not too far away from reception
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We chose this hotel as the pictures look great. Do not be deceived! The bedrooms are tiny, the carpets were dirty and the wardrobes looked like something from a prison cell. The bathrooms were circa 1980 and no bathrobe in sight despite prominence in bathroom pics on website. No wifi in the rooms despite being advertised and reception staff did not bother to try and sort despite three requests. Baggage room left unlocked and no late check out even for the ski lockers despite hotel not being full. Spa is ludicrously expensive if you just have kids who want a swim.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank jok240
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 nigths stay at Les Arcs 1800. This time I only travelled with my husband. We chose this resort because in April most resorts at lower altitude display poor snow and we also wanted to investigate the "children friendliness" of Les Arcs in order to plan the next year skiing trip.
Les Arc is at one of the extremes of the Paradiski domain which extends to La Plagne. Here you can easily ski from one extreme of the domain to the other because there is a multitude of mechanical transportation: ski chairs, lifts, gondolas, cable cars, etc. Therefore I think that the extra money you pay for forfait of the whole domain is well spent. I think that the resort of Pesey -Vallandry holds the most central location in the whole domain.
But as I said we stayed in Les Arcs 1800 in Hotel du Golf.
About Les Arcs 1800
- Still ski in / ski out in late season
- In the centre of the station: 3 ski chairs and 1 ski lift (Le TransArc)
- Lots of gourmet, not very expensive, very professional and friendly restaurants where you can enjoy the pleasures of the "savoie" food. I recommend the Laurus and the Créperie.
- Lots of small bars with great atmosphere, great aprés ski but without chaos or heavy drinkers;
- Several regional shops selling "fromage, chocolat et charcuterie"
- Pharmacie, supermarket, post, dry cleaning shop
- The usual ski gear, equipment, clothing shops
- ESF ski school and the Piou Piou club in the centre of the resort and 20 metros (if so) from Hotel du Golf

About Hotel du Golf:
- Great Location
- Interesting architecture
- Standard room: view of mountain and trees, big panoramic window, comfortable bed, adequate storage space, empty minibar, free safe deposit box
-Lounge areas comfortable and big enough to accommodate the hotel guests
- Every night there is a band playing in the bar (negative point)
- No problem with free Wi-Fi in lobby, bar and room
- Breakfast more than enough and varied. Great views from the breakfast lounge.
- Very friendly and professional staff
- A breakfast box (yoghurts, fruit, cookies, chocolate, cheeses) was provided for us since we left the hotel at 5h45 in the morning (We arranged it with the reception staff the previous night)
- Pool access is limited. You have to book it in advance and they limit the number of persons inside. You have to pay the 20 € spa entrance (you can stay there the whole morning or the shoe afternoon) in order to use the pool. The other amenities included are the jacuzzi, the sauna, turkish bath and relaxation room. They provide you with flip flops and a towel. The spa area is a bit limited but side there are not many people allowed inside at the same time it does not get crowded. Jacuzzi and pool water nicely warm.

I would return to this resort and to this hotel with my children.

Good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank elsamorgado
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here as a group for 4 days in January. This is my second time here. The hotel as a whole was very good and first impressions are that the reception area is very nice and the staff are all very helpful.

They do have different levels of room but I was in a basic one and this is where the hotel was let down. It was quite dated and a little cramped but apart from that fully functional. There are two sides to the hotel and one has lovely views of Mont Blanc and the mountains - the other is not so good.

The bar is a great place to relax and have a drink with great service. Both times I have been, it has been quite quiet with a band on most nights.

The only food I had here was breakfast and it was your typical breakfast buffet whihc was fine. I have read on TA complaints about the eggs and they were underdone but it's a French thing i think??

Everything is close to this hotel - the slopes, ski hire, restaurants and bars. Our main port of call was Bou bou's as it's close, does snack food and is pretty well priced.

Overall, worth going to and I would go back if I were to return to Les Arcs.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank skill123
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Just returned from the Du Golf. What an example to UK Hotels the staff were! We arrived late at 1015pm, a party of 8, and were greeted by cheery Hotel staff directing us to the Restaurant for an evening meal. We thought we might be lucky and get some sandwiches at that time!. The Restaurant staff greeted us, sat us down, went through the menu and couldn't have been nicer. At home you probably wouldn't get the Restaurant staying open and you certainly wouldn't have got jolly smiling staff! The food was great all week and a choice of 3 Restaurants. the Jazz trio playing in the Bar were superb. It was my 60th Birthday while we were there and they made a lovely cake and let my friends dress up our Table and wall near it with balloons etc. The rooms were a bit odd with glass walled bathrooms all be it frosted (in parts) but roomy enough, clean and the comfiest bed I've ever slept in! The Hotel is right by the lifts and the ski hire shop is attached to the Hotel. There were no queues when picking up our skis ( a first!) The public areas are bright and modern. A great hotel. I'd definately recommend it to anyone staying in Les Arcs. A great Bar just round the corner from the pub called Bou Bou's made it a brilliant holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Holly1952
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Rooms are excellent (quiet, solid, big) but food is poor and the management's attitude when you complained was appalling. At one point the receptionist called the manager as I listened and then said that they had been unable to contact him. Shame I have a French wife and understood his conversation.

They had three goes at boiling a soft boiled egg.

When I did speak to the manager we resolved our issues, but it had been too hard work to get to this conversation.

I would use the hotel for bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 186338Philip
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Having read some average reviews on this site we were a little apprehensive about what we were to find at the Hotel Du Golf especially regarding the quality and choice of food but we need not have worried. We had a superb time and even our fussiest eater could find something she liked so nobody starved. As previously stated the location is perfect, the best I've stayed in at a ski resort and we found the customer service to be outstanding. It was obvious that quality and customer satisfaction is important to the management of this hotel. We found a lovely touch was that the owner would make pancakes and we were offered hot wine or chocolate between 4 and 5pm. However, you have to be quick as they go pretty fast! We also didn't make it back in time on 2 occasions so were disappointed to have missed them, they were scrummy! Entertainment in the bar was good and we were very impressed by the band and singers who gave us a wonderful evening. I also enjoyed the karaoke and even got up to do a number! If there is any room for improvement I would agree about having a hook for the shower and also the boot room lockers could do with some pegs to hang the boots on for drying purposes, but these are minor issues for an otherwise superb hotel. We will definitely return and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to any of my friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple