“Overall a great place to stay”

Belambra Clubs - L'Aiguille Rouge
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Les Arcs
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed here in Arc 2000 for a week from 13 March 2010. The sun shone every day but it was very cold so the snow was perfect. As we left on the Saturday it was raining even at the top of the mountain. NEGATIVES: The rooms are small but adequate. DON'T book a twin room for 3 unless the 3rd one is a small child. There simply isn't enough space. Pillows are AWFUL. I had 2 but they are so uncomfortable, last trip away in Jan i took my own but forgot this time, why do all ski hotels in the world (well the ones i've been to anyway) have such awful pillows? I fail to understand why they don't just put a shower tray in instead of a half (not sure it was even that big) bath. I'm 5ft 4 and to sit in the bath my knees were under my chin and my toes pointing up. We had a good laugh, after all it was an experience! But were glad to have a shower that knocked us over when when we got home - the shower attachment was just powerful enough to eventually get the shampoo out of my fairly short hair. Went with Crystal who advertise "cable tv in all rooms". Yes it is. French cable, there isn't even an English news channel which is what we'd normally tune in to if at all. Watching the F1 race in French was annoying but hey that's my fault i don't speak French! I'm a vegetarian who will eat fish at a push. I queried with Crystal on the phone whether i needed to book for the hotel. No, "there is a vegetarian choice at each meal". The meals are buffet style. For all you strict veggies out there THERE IS NO VEGETARIAN CHOICE. The French don't get vegetarianism. Even the salad buffet had potatoes, with bacon in - pasta with chicken in - kidney bean/sweetcorn mix with chicken in! one night all i had on my plate from the salad bar was grated carrot, lettuce and a tomato. In this day and age I think this is APPALLING. For the first time ever i gained weight on a ski holiday because i had to fill up with bread and cheese and croissants at breakfast time. There was a fish dish every night, mainly overcooked but good enough when you're starving from skiing 6 hours a day in the fantastic Les Arcs/Peisey area. Restaurant opens at 7pm, and it's chaos. We did that once, then waited until 8.10pm (we timed it and it worked perfectly) when the first phase of people have left, the food also isn't boiling hot, even at 7pm, by the time you get it back to your table. Tip: take a spare top and hang it on the chair or nobody will know the table's taken. Wine is free and you take a bottle and fill it yourself, water jugs/bottles the same. Tea bags are on the table with butters/jams next to bread. It can be confusing your first time! POSITIVES: wine is free! (the restaurant shuts promptly at 9.30pm). Les Arcs is fantastic, great lifts, great snow (we were lucky) easy to find your way around, (French skiers push in but you have to get used to it, or fight back, i couldn't be bothered!) hotel is warm and clean, great relaxed atmosphere, bar area is nice, they do crepes in the bar around 4pm, yum! Ski in ski out was perfect. It was just me and my hubby and we laughed about the negatives but it's great value for money, as much as you can eat for breakfast and dinner, and if you can cram a cheese/ham roll made yourself at breakfast into a bag you can get a free snack lunch too! The ski room was empty but that was because we didn't venture out until 9.45am, and got back at 5pm, so we didn't feel the urge to head out and wait for the lifts to open. Lockers big enough for my skis and his snowboard and our boots. By the hotel is a little bubble lift which takes you down to 1950 (takes about 1 minute) which is lovely, pretty little village with bars and shops and the lift runs until about 10.30pm and it's FREE. We did this on our last morning as we had to hang around for the coach. All in all i would go back, it's a great hotel if you can get used to holiday with French and German rather than English like we usually do!

1  Thank TinksCam

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We have today come back from a weeks stay at the Aiguille Rouge, the comments on the size of the rooms, the cleanliness, size of bath, annoying shower and the quality of the food in the hotel have been covered by lots of other members so I won't duplicate that. We were in room 125 and could hear quite clearly the lift going up and down at all times of the night, also, the happy drunks having a sing song could well be singing outside the door and not 9 floors down in the street! The ski room is terrible - very cramped for such a large hotel, we found it was not heated and boots really do not dry out being put in an unheated metal cupboard. Staff were as always very polite and pleasant to deal with, there was no ambience up at 2000 save for the bar Whistlers Dream, great music and an even better happy hour.
Should I go to Les Arcs again I will stay and self cater at the intrawest resort at 1950 - bigger rooms, real showers and even full size baths - who'd have thought of that!

Reviewed March 21, 2010

I have just come back from a week's skiing at Les Arcs, staying at Hotel Aiguille Rouge. The snow was excellent and the weather was fab so this is always going to colour my review. That said, this hotel is truly ski in -ski out and provides immediate access to a number of ski lifts and ski runs of varying difficulty. The hotel is clean and warm, decor is fine and as it is a very large hotel. There is a good atmosphere, with a bar area that is good for apres ski drinks and then a bit quieter at other times in the day. The rooms are comfortable, but the beds are singles so we (my missus and I) pulled two together to create a double - which meant that one of us spent the night with an arm/leg/head falling down the gap. The bathrooms are ok, but the length of the bath is about two-thirds of an average size bath, so that post ski bath means you have to (1) become a contortionist to get in and out and (2) be prepared to have your legs halfway up the wall. That said, we made a bit of a joke about the bath size in the group we were in and that was that. One other minor annoyance was that the shower is hand held and not attached to the wall of the bathroom. This is a bit of a pain if you just want to relax after a day on the slopes and not hold the shower head. The rooms were nice and warm, with a decent balcony (no chairs/table). The food was all buffet, large selection, although it was a bit hit and miss on the quality each day. Some days our group came away thoroughly impressed, other days the meals got the "it's alright" rating. The evening entertainment was ok, if you wanted to partake, and the bar was open until midnight, which was more than enough for us....if you want very lively apre ski, this maybe isn't the resort to be. The resport of Arc 2000 is not big, but you can easily walk down to Arc 1950 which is quite classy and you have a wide selection of restaurants and bars, as well as shops. For the price we paid, the hotel was overall excellent value and I would go there again without any question.

1  Thank Wildspur
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, The rooms are small and basic but adequate, the staff are friendly and the buffet style all you can eat food well prepared and varied. The only negatives my party of six identified were tiny baths in the rooms (and no decent showers), tables not getting cleared quickly enough (leading to queues) and some shortages of cutlery, crockery etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Stayed at this Hotel March 2010, I booked what I thought would be two rooms, but
unfortunately only given 1 room. This was for 3 adults. The rooms are barely big enough for 2 adults and the bathroom is very small, the bath is only suitable for a very small child and the shower is a hose attachment connected to the taps. So you have neither a bath of a shower. Food was ok but generally not very hot, Staff were all ok and the hotel is in a good position.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We booked last minute hoping for a deal, and although it wasn't a rock bottom price, we were pleasantly suprised at the hotel. Half board was fantastic - huge breakfast and huge dinner - all you can eat of course - and plenty of choice....although I was craving food with some taste (a good curry) by the end of it all. The rooms are basic, but all you need if you're a ski fanatic and want to ski all day every day. Beds relatively hard but good for the back. And don't be expecting to relax in a bath cause all you get is half a bath and a shower with no shower stand - a sit in a tub holding the head job. Overall however - a great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed for a week over Christmas with two young boys and had 2 inter-connecting rooms. The beds were very firm but after 3 nights became comfortable! No kettle in the room, you can either have the tv on or the clock but not both due to the lack of power points, and the shower only has a holder at tap level, so my wife had to hold it for me whilst I stood in the shower. The food was adequate, but chips on offer at every meal was frustrating. The staff, to a man or woman, were outstanding. The children's club were very accommodating although with few english speaking children, ours had few playmates.

Access to the skiing is outstanding.

Driving to the hotel takes longer than might be expected. If there is any sort of snow on the road, snow chains will be required for at least the part from 1950 to 2000. Annecdotal reports of some British chains snapping on the way up so buy decent ones and practice fitting them.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family