“Awesome Onsen resthouse stay in a beutiful small mountain town :)”
Review of Yudanaka Seifuso

Yudanaka Seifuso
Reviewed April 5, 2013

When we first arrived at Yudanaka, it was very easy for us to find the hotel; owner speaks little to no English at all, but made up by being extra friendly and helpful. We did know a few words of Japanese, which can be very helpful; Otherwise, I would suggest maybe having a Japanese phrase book to get some instructions.

The room was what we expected with a traditional old room, with a double futon bed on the floor with plenty of blankets to keep us warm. There is also a table with a heater underneath covered with a blanket to keep your feet warm. It has a safe available for storage, and a modern Western electronic toilet (with heated seat too) and a sink; There is a sitting area along the window where you can close off a sliding wall to have a smoke and drink if you wanted to. There are also storage in this section to put your bags.

Warning though, this place doesn’t have a lift, so if you have a lot of luggage, expect to carry it up the stairs yourself. (the old owner offered to help, but I felt bad asking him to carry my 30kg bag) As this is an Onsen hotel, there is no shower available in your room. There are 4 Onsens available to use. If you are not familiar with Onsen, I would suggest you google it; They are all segregated to either male or female only; You can use different onsen based on what time it is; the 4 onsens are build to different styles. One is a Wooden tub in a room that has a sliding door to a mini garden, one is a tiled one that is in a room with a semi open roof, one is in the basement that is very steamy and hot because it doesn’t have much ventilation, while the last one, which is the best one that is outdoor, in a rock pool surrounded by a Japanese garden, and has a rock table in the middle of the onsen which you can sit down and have a drink of Sake. The wooden onsen does have a lock door which couples can use privately. We went during the off season and on a weekday, so there were not many other people around , so getting access to the private room is no problem.

The owner offered to drive us up to the snow monkey park as we missed our last bus, and seems like they do that alot for their guests. and when we left, they gave us parting gifts

Food served there are great... at 1000Yen for breakfast and 3000Yen for Dinner, I would fully reccomend it... food was awesome with local produce. You must let the owners know in advance you would like to eat so they can prepare. They would come and knock on your door (agreed time) and you would be lead to a big private room to eat traditional style. Love it

Overall, I would definately go there again if I were to go to Yudanaka, and I would brush up my Japanese just to get to know the old owners and their friendly staffs.

Room Tip: If you have issues going up flights of stairs, don't get the top room as the steps are kinda ste...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
seifuso, オーナー at Yudanaka Seifuso, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2014

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Yudanaka Seifuso was such a warm and welcoming place. Not knowing anything about the area, I did my research to try and find a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) that was close to the snow monkey park (Jigokudani Park). Of course, I did not want to pay a fortune, and it would help for meals to be included.

I was also interested in trying out the onsen, which are Japanese baths that can be found throughout Japan. Usually, the onsen experience consists of separate baths for men and women, but within each bath, people go completely naked. Having never experienced the onsen before, I was extremely apprehensive about trying the Japanese onsen as the locals do (naked). When I found Yudanaka Seifuso, my nerves were immediately put at ease, because they have onsen on site, and they allow people to wear bathing suits!! (Apparently, the usage of bathing suits is extremely rare. Nevertheless, it was very comforting to me.)

When I arrived at the ryokan, the owners were very friendly and accommodating. Since my party arrived before check-in time, they let us store our luggage at the hotel while we went to the monkey park. Unfortunately, we hadn't anticipated all of the snow that would be on the ground (and falling!), but the owners graciously lent us snow boots to wear on our excursion to the park. They also lent me an umbrella (since the snow was falling heavily at that time) and drove us to the park! It is important to note that I do not speak Japanese, and their English is limited, but we were still able to communicate successfully.

At dinner, the presentation was unbelievable, and there was so much good food to enjoy. We unfortunately did not get to experience breakfast, as we had to catch a train. The owners, however, gave us apples to eat on the train and even gave each of us a small gift of snow monkey keychains. I ultimately did check out the onsen, and I learned that there were a few private ones, too, so even though I went wearing my bathing suit, once I realized that I was supposed to lock the door while in the private facility, I could experience the Japanese onsen as it should be. What a relaxing experience!

The only problem with the whole experience was that we didn't stay longer. If I ever have the chance to visit the snow monkeys again, I would definitely stay at Yudanaka Seifuso! The meals were delicious, the price was reasonable, and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank viajerrra23
seifuso, オーナー at Yudanaka Seifuso, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2014

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Not only was Yudanaka Seifuso a great value, the staff was also incredibly accommodating. They noticed that we were slightly ill-prepared for all of the snow, so they immediately offered us snow boots to wear as we visited the snow monkeys at Jigokudani Park. Though their English was limited, communication proved to be no problem for the members of our party that couldn't speak Japanese. Also, their dinner spread easily rivals restaurants several times the price. As a nice afterthought, there are apples floating in their hot springs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrew R

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I made the trip to Yudanaka in late January to visit Jigokudani Monkey Park, and I'm really happy that I chose this ryokan. The hosts were warm, kind and helpful, and despite a fairly significant language barrier, everything went very smoothly. As an added bonus, they drove me up to the monkey park, which I really appreciated. Another major bonus was having the outdoor onsen all to myself that night. I ate both dinner and breakfast at the ryokan, which was one of my favorite dining experiences in Japan (which is saying a lot!): the food was delicious and plentiful, and it was a real treat to try so many different dishes in one meal. No complaints with the room itself; it was spacious and very clean, and to my great surprise, there was wifi! This is an excellent choice if you're looking for unique accommodation and great food, and you're a non-Japanese speaker comfortable with winging it / miming it and going with the flow.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank baryongirl

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The staff are friendly and amazingly helpful. The hotel is very comfortable, the food fantastic and the outdoor and private onsen are magical. During our stay my girlfriend became ill and the staff were unbelievably kind to us, checking on us day and night bringing hot water bottles and ice to reduce fever. They even made special meals and seemed to genuinely care about our welbeing. They offered to drive us to the hospital, took us to the pharmacy and translated, and when she had recovered drove us to the snow monkey park. Without the wonderful and generous staff the stay would have been almost impossible

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mel_ON186338
seifuso, オーナー at Yudanaka Seifuso, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2014

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This Japanese inn was a great place to relax for the night and see the onsen monkeys. Located a few minute walk from the train station, this family run inn was great. The family is so friendly, the rooms and onsen are fine. The inn is a bit old but it gives it character. Even though there were other guests it was very private. They even have an onsen you and a friend or significant other can enter and lock the door.
They provided us with English information about the monkeys, bus times and train times. We were lucky and they gave us a ride to the monkey park entrance. They were very sweet and gave us an apple and a keychain when we left!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tesias

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were planning to stay one night to this ryokan but decided to stayed 2 nights. We made the right decision! The ryokan was clean and bright, has 2 indoor onsens and 1 outdoor onsen which was so lovely. The host allowed us to have a private onsen for a couple.

We had a spacious room with a private toilet. The futon was comfortable and warm enough for autumn. The toilet is amazing! It's got bidet and warm seat. The toilet lid opened automatically when you approached it.

We had kaseiki meal, it was heaven... Multiple dishes of quality food. The best rice I've ever tasted, so delicious, pearly white! The lovely lady served it with a smile and cheer.

Matsuo and his parents were great hosts. Matsuo drove us to the snow monkey park. Matsuo was so helpful, made phone calls for our next booking and dropped us to the train station as it was raining. When we left, Hideo and Meyoko gave us 2 local apples (yum!) and 2 monkey key rings as souvenirs.

Yudanaka is a small village but we love it. We walked through the streets up to Shibu village and tasted the locally made sake and udon.

Yudanaka Seifuso made the best of our holiday. We look forward to coming back again soon (can't wait...).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple