“Fabulous!”

Chitvan Jungle Lodge
Shifnal, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Chitvan as part of a tour of India and some of the National parks. It was arranged via tour operator Hayes and Jarvis so we were expecting a fairly high standard. We were not dissapointed.

We arrived after a very tireing journey and were made to feel so welcome straight away. All the hotel staff are accomadating and welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble and they will go out of their way to accomadate any needs you have. The staff take great pride in their work and are genuinely friendly and love to chat and get to know you. Equally if you are the type of people who prefer to keep themselves to themselves they will not be intrusive at all.

Our room was fantastic. It was a suite style with a very large bedroom with views of the garden an ajoining bathroom and a sitting room. You will not get the standard of say the Hilton or the Raddison in Agra or Deli, but remember that you are in the middle of nowhere! Air conditioning and fans available and in working order. There were a few power cuts but the backup generator ensures air con and ighting remains working. The rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels left, despite following the 'hang up if you want to reuse' rule. Linnen was cleaned and changed daily as far as we could tell. Bear in mind that the local laundry is the river so the sheets will not exactly be Daz fresh, but very definately clean and we had no complaints at all. The beds are very firm which seems we found to be standard for India. plenty of blankets if you are cold at night. We were not as we stayed at the beginning of the summer but I believe that it can get cold in the winter. They provided basic toiletries if you wanted to use them and restocked daily. No hairdrier ladies but this I think is to be expected. There was a kettle in the room with tea and coffee and snacks available which was restocked daily free of charge. A chargable mini bar with soft drinks and alcohol was also available.

The food was fabulous. Traditional indian food with western dishes available on request. They operate a wake up call for Safari which leave at about 5.30am in the summer. 6 ish I think in the winter. They will bring tea and/or coffee to the room with some biscuits at a requested time. You return from safari at about 11.30 so have breakfast in the park at a checkpoint with toilets available. This is a packed breakfast with tea or coffee, sandwitches (cheese) boiled egg, muffins and indial dishes such as samosas. all beautiful. Lunch could be taken in the dining room or your room. We just had sandwitches and fruit. Other couples had chips and soup and some a full meal. Baisically they will prepare for you what you like if they have it. Dinner is indian food again. soups, followed by beautiful currys, not hot at all, mainly vegatables, chicken and paneer (cottatage cheese-normally I hate this but but was compressed and more like vegatable protien in texture and was yummy) side orders of rice, breads and traditional indian puddings. We had no issues with Deli belly at all. Alcohol was not too expensive considering the prices in the city hotels. We stayed 4 nights and had 1-3 drinks each per night and a few during the day. Our drinks bill came to 2800 rupees (about £40) Water, tea and coffee is free. Water for safari and your room is provided. We have no special dietary requirements, but if you do they will accomadate as best they can. You can pay your bill with cash or credit card. The chef likes to come out to the dining room and will talk you throught the food. He will happily prepare you something of your choosing. It was my birthday when we were there and they made me a birthday cake and all sung happy birthday to me which was a lovely touch. Meals in your room does not cost you any extra. They grow their own food and the chef will love to show you his kitchen garden if you are interested.

The hotel is close to the main park gate, about 10 minutes. Two safaris a day 5am-11.30am and 4pm-6pm aprox although times vary according to season. If you have not paid extra you will share an open jeep with another couple. Four per jeep including driver and naturalist. no issues with being able to see at all. naturalists and drivers all excellent with good knowledge and excellent sighting abilities! You keep the same driver and naturalist for your stay so we tipped at the end. Our naturalist was excellent and was ever present in the hotel looking after us.We tipped about 1500rupees for the driver and 2000rupees for the naturalist. Safari is very dusty and when the sun came out it was blistering. We wore t shirts and shorts/cropped trousers and sandles. Yoiu do not need boots or anything as you dont get out of the jeeps at all. We took hats and I followed the indian trick of using a sarong to cover my head and arms once the sun was well and truly up. I do not normally suffer from travel sickness but I did feel a bit queasy at times as you do spend alot of time bumping along. I would reccomend some travel sickness tablets as they do help.

In conclusion, this was a fabulous hotel. Yes, they were not as high a quality as the city hotels but considering you are in the middle of nowhere, we were highly impressed with the standard of the facilities. If you are expecting this sort of standard, you have picked the wrong holiday as that is not what these trips are about. We have stayed in Safari lodges in Kenya which were not of this standard (although good) and they have been catering for the tourist trade for alot longer. We would happily return and would not hesitate to reccomend this to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 15Leanne_E
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
A big thank you to you for such a descriptive feedback about your stay. I must compliment you on covering all aspects of our product and services in such minute details.
Thank you for rating us over the Safari Lodges in Kenya, we are humbled to get such a compliment from a widely travelled guest. You have got it absolutely right that we are in middle of nowhere and trying to provide a seamless stay to guests who comes to this part of the country leaving the urban comforts behind. Not easy, but our incessant hard work is in that direction.
I am happy to note that you liked the spacious rooms, with views of the gardens, big living room, bathroom, and clean linen. The reason behind our clean linen is our own laundry in Chitvan, we do not take our linen to the nearby river to pollute the river and also spoil our linen. Our focus is to keep the carbon and water imprint to a minimum. We do provide the hair driers on request to the guests, and we have mentioned the same in our services directory kept in the rooms. But we take a point from your feedback and shall devise a method wherein all our lady guests know that the same is available on demand.
We have intentionally kept the pricing of beverages very low, despite knowing that it is a major source of profit. Reason behind being our belief that main source of our profit is our delighted guests. Yes, we have kept a kettle to make tea/coffee and provide free snacks in rooms as it keeps our operational costs low, by not recruiting additional staff to service the same, as we are a seasonal resort. I am also happy to note that you enjoyed the food served, and the Chef catered to your requests of western dishes as well.
I am sharing this feedback of yours with our entire team, and especially to the Kitchen and safari drivers and naturalists who enhanced your overall experience at Chitvan. Most sincere thanks from core of my heart to you for providing our potential guests a very detailed feedback of what to expect when in Chitvan.
Hope to see you again in near future.

Sharad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Hi Sharad,

We just got bak to Nagpur and just cant stop going Ga ga over Chitvan resorts.
The experience was just out of this world.Right from the outset, the fact that your staff came to recieve us about 15km at 2.30 am was very heartwarming fr all us.Then the dinner served to us at 3 am was great aswell.
The Safari the next day wid ur guide was just awesome and the best part of it apart from the fact that we saw the tiger was the breakfast served to us.Your guide for the safari was very warm in his behaviour and service.The food at the restaurant along with the hospitalty was quite exceptional .

The room was like icing on the cake.
I really congratulate you for the way you have trained ur staff.
And I on behalf of all 6 of us who were there extend a heartfelt thank you to all ur staff including the chef,waiters,the caretaker of the resort and everyone who served us there.

It truly was an an experience like never before.
And another thing to sign off............... 2 of us have already decided the venue fr our honeymoon.......CHITVAN.

Would luv to get bak there

Thanx
Dr.Dinesh Singh (MD Medicine)
Mumbai.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dinesh S
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Dr Dinesh,

It is always a joy to read feedback from delighted guests like you. Such feedback attests that our sweat is falling on the right trail. We are always anxious when our guests arrive late in such a remote area. After sunset when there is no light around, and not many people to ask for the directions, we ensure that we send out our team members to certain points to guide our guests.

In a secluded Jungle Lodge like ours, it is nature, food and courteous service which is an entertainment, and we strive to get it right.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team members, whom you have praised so generously. Such honor with kind words only increases the appetite of our team, who work relentlessly from their hearts.

We are really looking forward to your Honeymoon, and trust us to make it very special for you.

Pune, India
Reviewed June 1, 2012

11 of us including 5 kids stayed at Chitvan in May 2012 for 3 nights. We also stayed at their sister property Tiger's Den in Bandhavgadh. Chitvan is more upscale in every respect. The rooms were large and well decorated. The bathrooms were clean and equipped with a large tub. The staff was courteous and accommodating. It was clear that both Mr. Ashwini and the chef, Mr. Ashish, took pride in what they did and made sure all of us were comfortable. There was a different menu each night. One night we even had BBQ. Mr. Ashish also made a special dinner of pasta and fries for the kids one night. Loved it!! They even packed us a big lunch for our travel from Kanha to Jabalpur. Great!!! Cannot fault these guys on service.

4 stars only because of the swimming pool which was a disappointment. The water was cloudy and green in color. Although Mr. Ashwini assured us that it was due to the chlorine treatment, it was very uninviting and no one went for a swim. The other suggestion I have is to stock the library will more children's books to keep them occupied in the hot afternoons.

The Safari's themselves were ok, probably because we were spoilt after having seen 5 tigers at Bandhavgadh only 2 days ago. We did see one tiger at Kanha.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank toajax
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time and writing about your experience at Chitvan. Your words on this forum are read by lot of our potential guests and it really helps in increasing our business and serving our guests and local community better.

I have noted your feedback about our team led by Mr Ashwani and will be sharing your experience with him. Your views on a different menu on each meal and also a different menu for your kids alongwith a bar be que dinner will be shared with Chef Ashish and his team, who alongwith rest of the staff really take a lot of pride in serving our guests. They know for sure, that their salaries come from delighted guests. The cleanliness of bathrooms, and well kept rooms is all due to great job by our local team which has been trained on site by Ashwaniji.

Your feedback about the pool is taken very seriously, and i did a complete check on what went wrong. Please do not take this is as any justification to why it was not upto your expectations, but i would like to clarify it here. There was a sudden increase in temperatures just a couple of days prior to your arrival. This time of the year there are these 9 days (locally known as Nautapa), which are the hottest of the season. Also, in this area we do not get electricity for almost 16 hours daily. To do the power management, and to ensure that all our guests sleep comfortably in the night with the air-conditioning, we had to switch off a lot of critical public area power, which included the filteration plant of the pool. Normally the effect would not have been there so suddenly, but due to the excessive temperatures during the day which resulted in some issue with chlorine treatment the pool lost its colour. I am really sorry from the core of my heart for this.

We have taken this matter on a war footing, and have decided to install another genset for all our public areas which will include the filteration plant, so that this problem does not recur.

I hope you do not hold this against us, and do provide us with another opportunity to serve you better next time.

Look forward to your stay once again in future.

Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My overall experience was memorable, it is difficult to identify and isolate just one element or experience from 4 days of fun filled trip. The beauty of Kanha national park and Chitvan Jungle Lodge got me close to nature. I felt so peaceful, infinitely healing and relaxing which I will endure and cherish all my life. The bamboo forest, grassy meadows, python, gaur, tiger, Sambhar, pond heron, egrets, peacock, rollers, kingfishers, woodpeckers, Barasingha all were amazing and reminded me of my childhood stories of ‘Jungle book’. It was a world away from our busy roads and our never ending to do list of life.
It was wonderful experience to be at Chitvan Jungle Lodge team. A group of outstanding people who collectively made our stay so comfortable, highly recommended for its wonderful environment, hospitality and friendly and outgoing staff. Amazing food and trust me, I have got the menu cards for all my meals at Chitvan Jungle Lodge. The informative and friendly Naturalist made our safaris thrilling. Very well maintained, organized with all 5 star luxuries and beautiful interiors amid forest and wild life. It felt like a family with Chitvan Jungle Lodge team and it was difficult to bid adieu. Saying Good bye is never easy but as all good things have to come to an end and so is my trip to Kanha national park and Chitvan Jungle Lodge. The experience will remain with me for a lifetime.
Nalini Mathur.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NaliniM22
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Nalini,

Greetings from Chitvan!

At the start let me thank you for staying with us and doing such a soul touching feedback about Chitvan on this medium for the prospective guests to read. I am pleased that you had a great stay, enjoyed the food, took all the menus of all the meals that you took. Our Chef Ashish recalls giving the same to you every meal after signing it. Naturalist Sanjay is a local boy but extremely well versed with Kanha as he has spend his entire life in these woods of Kanha. His eye to track birds, and mammals in the foliage has been appreciated by all our guests.

Providing Luxuries in a resort is easy but to maintain them well in such a remote area is a task well taken care of by our local tribal staff.

I am pleased to know that you had a good time at Chitvan. We all look forward to seeing you again at Chitvan in not so distant future.

The Valley, Anguilla
Reviewed May 25, 2012

For months we worked with planners in India to design and develop a nearly month long trip to India and Nepal for 8 diverse and sometimes demanding friends . Our primary goal was to see a tiger in the wild.That was very iffy since tigers are not only rare they are elusive. So we decided on Chitvan to spend a few days in search of the tigers.
The resort is really exactly what we wanted...small, simple, quiet and affordable.
The staff was absolutely top notch and courteous and totally service focused. From the manager to the chef to the safari drivers. They even have their own naturalist who accompanied us on several game drives.
The food was excellent and the chef took great pride in his efforts to please. Given the fact that we were largely unfamiliar with the cuisine, evryone ate well and ate plenty.
The general manager was exceptional and saw to our every wish. Our last night at Chitvan he arranged for a local tribe to perform for us...an unexpected treat.
When one travels so far away from home and is pretty much at the mercy of the management and staff of a small hotel, it is a great gift to be treated like long lost friends and not as customers.

Chitvan was one of our favorite places in India and I highly recommend it if you are seeking a tiger experience or just a peaceful respite
We will definitely return to India and to Chitvan.
By the way...we did see our tiger.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the smaller two unit builings. They are simple but very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mapauldvm
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear MIke,

Greetings from Chitvan!

We are happy to note that you found Chitvan to be more than what you anticipated. Kind words like these motivate our team no end, i shall share the same with our General Manager Mr Ashwani, the Chef and the entire team, which despite being local work from their hearts. Importantly i am also happy to note that our naturalists and safari drivers were able to fulfill your wish of seeing a Tiger in Kanha. We hope to see you again in Chitvan.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We have stayed in luxury resorts at quite a few places, but never ever in life have i had such a strong feeling of love towards the place. Chitvan is an out of the world experience, for anybody visiting Kanha.

The resort is beautiful and the hospitality extended is awesome. Infact, beyond awesome. You cant stop gushing about it, be it the food they serve, or the people around and the service they provide.

Me and my wife were thrilled and in awe of the team running the place. They gave a huge surprise on the aniv dinner, by arranging a pool side table, cake, wine and flowers. Really cant thank them enough !!!

Room Tip: Any room is perfect !
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ranjith B
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Ranith,

Your words make our chests swell. But we will be careful not to let this enter our mind. Thank you so much for you generous words. It is always motivating when our guests realize our intentions of love, and care behind our services. Good food, and courteous service is our religion which we try and follow fanatically. I am happy you enjoyed the surprise candle lit dinner by the poolside on your first wedding anniversary.

Thank you for writing about your experience, and we look forward to your stay again in near future.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed for 4 days in DEc-Jan at the chitvan lodge

Located near the Mukki Gate, the property has acres of space a sprawlin feel to the lodge. kids loved running around and playing in the property

The safaris were well organised and there was a hearty breakfast packed for the morning safaris. The kids just loved the morning breakfast muffins!

The service was exceptional, understated and effecient. Mr Ashwani runs the staff effeciently and his warm presence is there at all times for a quick chat up and update

The hotel did not accept credit cards and we were short on cash, so we actually came back to Delhi and paid the hotel after a week. Brilliant personal service

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
SharadKumarVats, Owner at Chitvan Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Sir,

I deeply appreciate your taking out time to inscribe your experience of our Lodge. Our Chef does a good job with Muffins and they are appreciated by almost all our guests. Ashwani is surely doing a remarkable job in a remote area like Kanha with motivating the local staff to give a good service.

We are located in an area where there are no land telephone lines yet, hence we faced a lot of problems with installation of a credit card machine. But lately, since March 2012, we have installed a Credit card machine which is run via WLL telephone connection, and now our guests are able to pay via credit cards as well. Next time you stay with us you will not encounter this problem. We are keen to have you stay with us again in future with friends and family.