“Watch TV in the Bath!!!”
Review of Ascari House

Ascari House
Ranked #7 of 7 Steventon B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is the best B&B I have ever stayed in.

You approach it along a driveway leading to electric gates, so that your car is in a secure car park, right by the rooms.

Room 4 is the room to go for

The bathroom has a Jacuzzi bath, overhead shower and......... A TV inset so that you lie in the bath and watch TV!!!

You can also control the TV with a waterproof remote!!

Room cost is £40,00 and breakfast is £5.00 but worth every penny.

Do go it is great

Room Tip: Room 4 with the bathroom TV, but all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We should have realised from the booking experience that this stay wasn't going to be great. I made the decision to book directly with the B&B on the 18th April, whilst my friends booked via Laterooms. We were all booked to attend Truck Festival but didn't fancy camping.
Firstly, I received no feedback from my original booking request until I prompted it a few days later - I was worried that they had confirmed my friends bookings via Laterooms, but not mine. In response to my 2nd email Sarah asked me to call her, which I did, and she explained that she had received no other bookings vis Laterooms, so my request was fine. Another week went by before I emailed again on the 29th April as I still had not received confirmation of my booking. Sarah then confirmed my booking. However on the 02nd May she then emailed me to say that we could not have the room after all as the Laterooms bookings had subsequently come in and she was double booked!!! She offered us a small twin room as an alternative for £40 a night - clearly the fact you book direct here does not give you priority over others using an intermediary internet booking company.
We arrived on the 19th July as expected and were told on arrival that another room was available after all! However, we decided to stick with the small twin as it was cooler in the heat.

Now for the biggest gripe I have! We stayed here specifically to attend Truck Festival, and our hosts knew this. After arriving back very late on the Friday night (causing no disturbance whatsoever!) we were very rudely awakened by the hosts decided to strim the garden at approx 7.45am right outside our window!!!!!! Neither my husband or I, nor our friends who were in other rooms, could believe it!! I couldn't get anymore sleep after this, and it ruined our enjoyment of the 2nd day of the festival as we were so over tired.

After breakfast (which I will eloborate a little more on below) and an unsuccessful attempt at trying to get a bit more sleep, the cleaner tried to let themselves in when I was in the shower. Thankfully my husband was able to deal with this!! Meanwhile, halfway through my shower the water pressure dropped to a trickle so I attempted to rinse the conditioner out of my hair and then it just stopped completely. My husband then had to hunt down one of the owners to try and sort it out whilst I got dressed. It turned out they had put the washing machine on in the garage and this caused the water to stop. Problem was solved I guess, but again, why put it on at all if you know guests are still in their room and it stops the water??!!!!

Now for breakfast. When we went for breakfast on the first day, we were asked if we were 'the vegetarians' to which we stated that we weren't, and she retorted 'oh good!' before scurrying back into the kitchen. We were not asked what we would like to eat, just what we would like to drink. Then we were presented with a fry up with the cheapest, inedible sausages you have ever seen!! The following day we were not even asked what we would like to drink, it was presumed we would have whatever we had the day before. The vegetarian option looked much more appealing, but when I followed the lady into the kitchen on the 2nd day to ask for this instead, I was told she only had enough ingredients for the vegetarians who had clearly made a special request. Understandable perhaps, but we were not offered anything else despite there clearly being packs and packs of cereal on the side counter. She did however tell me that the sausages were better on the 2nd day (she clearly got the hint we didn't like them when we left them on the first day), but in reality there was no difference in quality; they were just smaller and more of them on our plate. We left those too.

To be honest though, an admin blip with room bookings, no running water in the shower and poor food probably would not have prompted me to write a review. It was the rudeness of being woken up so early on our first morning that has left me so upset with the place. With all of their guests being Truck Festival attendees and knowing full well this would result in late nights for all of us, they should have had the courtesy to at least wait til late morning before starting with a strimmer outside everyone's open windows on a hot summers day!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A very friendly couple who were more than willing to help. We took are push bikes with us without checking first to see if there was a safe lock up that we could use. On arrival we were told it was absolutely no problem to use the garage. The rooms are clean and tidy. Very good english breakfast. Cycling into oxford without using the main A road was no problem although research first is advisable. The location provides two pubs, the cherry tree being my preferred choice for food, drink and atmosphere. The village also has an excellent curry house which we sampled on our second night. Also within a minutes walk is a mini-supermarket. Would definitely recommend to friends and family and would use again if ever revisiting Oxford.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Some friends were having a wedding and staying at a more expensive venue up the road. At short notice I rang Ascari and Sarah-Jane gave me a great deal on a single room. I turned up well before time and was shown to a brilliantly decorated twin room with key to access 24 hours. So glad I went a little out of my way. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2012

What a lovely stay! Rooms are tastefully done. Very clean, very good furniture, look superb. The landlady is a thoroughly good individual. The whole experience was above and beyond what I was expecting and I think the best Full English Breakfast I've ever had.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here for a night recently and it was a lovely B&B, we had a warm welcome from the owner upon arrival.

The room we stayed in had a entrance separate to the owner's accommodation so it really did feel nice and private. The room was clean and comfortable, the towels were fresh and there was plenty of tea and coffee on the tray which was lovely as my husband is a real tea man and we often end up buying a small box of teabags while we're away. My husband was most impressed that he could lay in the bath and watch the match on the TV!

Breakfast was freshly cooked and plentiful.

We will be staying again, next time we will travel with my mother in law as we want to visit family in the area, my mum in law has more limited mobility now and the rooms here were not up flights of stairs which means it will be easier for her to manage.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed here for a week in November and the experience was good. The room was a good size for one person and the bathroom was well presented. I even had a jacuzzi which was a treat! The price was very reasonable and the breakfasts were very good. The hosts were pleasant and the parking secure.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business