“Good food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wolverhampton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We popped into the Royal Oak just while we were perusing the town looking for a function room, Debbie and Andy were really welcoming and couldn't help us enough, spending time with us despite being busy making Sunday lunches. They explained they have just recently taken over the premises and working really hard to improve the hotel.

We decided to stay for lunch and the portions were plentiful, even for the child's portion I ordered, which was great because it so good! I polished off the lot!

In fact it was so good and Debbie and Andy made us feel so welcome that we have booked our wedding reception there for later in the year. So far Debbie has been so helpful in helping to us to plan some of the finer details and has been happy to get quotes for me. She has even entertained my Step Mother while checking out the hotel rooms for me....who also stayed for lunch and reported great food and good sized child's portions!!!!

I look forward to another visit soon...and WILL be staying for lunch.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Artemisaurelius

Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Popped in for a quick bite to eat during a visit to my childhood town. I remember this being a cheery busy pub with open fire and plenty of atmosphere, today it was cold and bleak despite the boards outside boasting of it 'being under new management' (I suspect that it will be again soon!!). We only wanted a sandwich and a pint, how far wrong can you go with a sandwich and a pint?????? Quite far apparently! Cheap sliced bread, bargain basement tuna slop and chips fried in oil that had clearly done more that the recommended 12000 miles - and the single draft ale they were offering, was off :-( When we first came in there were only three people in the pub, that should have given us a sufficient warning to have drive to the supermarket, bought a couple of packs of sandwiches, some tins and sat in the car.......it would have been tastier, better value and considerably warmer!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Spike09-123
York
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

two lunches for ten pounds. It was excellent. The vegetables and food were all freshly perpared with a wide selevtion to choose from.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Ken P
London, United Kingdom
“Customer complaint”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I am pretty certain that to qualify as a cook, an individual should obviously be able to cook. This does not appear to be a requirement at the Royal Oak in Tenbury Wells. My wife and I made the regretable decision to treat our family to a Sunday lunch at the mantioned establishment. Words fail me when trying to describe the experience. The pub boasts the same charm and atmosphere as that within a morgue. As for the food, where to begin, the vegetables had so much water content they could replenish our dwindling supplies. In contrast to the puree veg were the chewy chunks of over cooked beef, most restuarants present slices of pink and tender beef, obviously the Royal Oak likes to stand out from the crowd, for all the wrong reasons. The only saving grace was the gravy, but even the lowest form of intelligent life can open a lid and add water! The whole disaster was simply slapped on a plate with all the finese of road kill. I realise that the Royal Oak meals are cheap and obviously the price reflects the food but surely if the proprietor were to increase the prices slightly, then they may be able to afford to employ a real cook and not someone on day release from MacDonalds.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank john D
bristol
“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I'm not one to complain.....but...

I booked in for two nights thinking it looked like a lovely place to stay from their website. How wrong could I be!

Don't let the word "hotel" in the title fool you, this is a "locals" pub with a handful of basic rooms directly above. The rooms are SO noisy from the jukebox below that I felt I had no optiion other than to request to check out.

After my complaint was passed around a few of the drunk locals, I finally was given the opportunity to argue for my money back.

I was reluctantly given a refund but they kept my deposit.

• Visited November 2011