“Lovely hotel - The food is the Star!”
Review of Talbot Inn

Talbot Inn
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed here last weekend to visit the Mistletoe Festival in Tenbury Wells. The hotel is a very attractive building and the restoration has obviously been done with great care. We were lucky to be allocated a room at the back as there seems to be a problem with traffic noise in the front facing rooms. That said, our room was over the bar and we could hear people in the bar until about midnight. The room was nicely decorated, but there were a few niggles, including no hairdryer (as this was a room with only a shower this was a problem) and very poor quality clothes hangers. Also there is no light over the dressing table and no power point nearby, so the dressing table was superfluous. We had dinner there both nights and the meals are excellent, with quite a good choice of specials. The fish I had was perfectly cooked and served with a delicious lemon and caper compote (please chef, send me the recipe). My husband had the ham hock which was plentiful and delicious. The vegetables served were also more adventurous than the usual. Desserts were lovely and the apple sorbet is truly sublime! Breakfasts were delicious and served promptly and the toast is made from artisan bread and still hot when it gets to the table. All of the staff that we met were friendly and helpful, but particularly Becky who is delightful. We would certainly stay here if we return to the area and recommend it to our friends. Thank you for a lovely weekend. Judith and Duncan Wood

1  Thank WoodDeepthought
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Talbot Inn. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to return if you are in the area. Thank you for the constructive and valuable feedback about the bedroom you stayed in. I will certainly look into the hair dryer situation and the other points about the clothes hangers and dressing table have been taken on board. I might add we don't normally have any noise from the bar but we did have a late group of diners on Saturday night who were celebrating- I hope this didn't keep you up.
I am delighted you enjoyed our food and singled this element out as the 'star' of the show - praise indeed! We have worked hard to develop our food and it is great to receive such positive feedback .
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Talbot Inn. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here last weekend. The hotel was warm and welcoming as were the staff. The room was tastefully decorated, the bed very comfortable. Our meal on Saturday was good. The only problem we had which had an detrimental impact on what was to be a 2 night stay was that we weren't informed that both the restaurant and the bar would be closed on the Sunday night. Because of this we cut short our weekend. It would be good for future guests if they were informed when confirming the booking if the facilities are going to closed during their stay. Sue & Peter Potts

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the T Junction. Single glazing can make sleep a bit difficult.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a short review. I am sorry that you decided to cut your stay short - we always do offer to provide a late Sunday lunch or a light dinner for overnight guests on a Sunday during winter hours. We do hope you come back and visit if you are in the area again. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed overnight while visiting the area and chose the Talbot Inn because of its good reviews. A large amount of money has clearly been spent bringing it up to its excellent level of decor and comfort. Our room was impressively large with a beautiful bathroom with double-ended bath and shower.
The food at dinner was truly outstanding. The scallop starter (off the specials board so don't hold your breath!) was an exquisite combination of flavours and textures. The burger was as moist and tasty as any we've ever tried, The wine list covered every taste at reasonable prices.
Breakfast, while delicious, was more of a haphazard affair with juice but no glasses and cereals but only sugar in cubes. But the service soon put those minor aberrations right and the food was well prepared and excellent quality.
One very small negative was the heating system that seems to work to its own rules: We arrived at 4.30 to find the room very cold and the heating only just kicking in. It warmed up eventually but when we got back from dinner, the heating was off and the room back to its more-than-chilly state. The staff kindly put the heating on boost again and we were soon back to normal and in the morning it was OK. We were told that the system seems to have a mind of its own but it does need sorting out as the weekend wasn't too cold outside so come the winter, it's not going to be much fun.
All in all, a very good place to stay with attention to detail very much evident.

Room Tip: Room 7 is designated a superior room - it is quiet and of a good size with fabulous bathroom. Just d...
1  Thank GraemeWright
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed the Talbot Inn and found everything to your liking. Our hand pressed steak burgers do appear to have quite a favoured following - next time why not try the venison burger with sweet red cabbage pickle and blue cheese - divine! The heating is now running tickety boo - a simple tweak of the timing clock! We look forward to welcoming you back so please do come again! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Talbot to be close to our friend's wedding and stayed as part of a group of 8 of us including the bride & groom. Its been beautifully renovated and I was really impressed with the standard and size of the rooms. Our room was number 2 and at the front of the Inn overlooking the road, the bed whilst a little on the small side was really comfortable with nice linens and feather duvet and pillows. The bathroom had a waterfall shower and was really new and clean and we also had the benefit of a walk-in wardrobe. There were a few niggles with the room which my partner and friends were frustrated with - one small bottle of water is provided when really one each would have been better, especially as the Inn was so warm we had to turn the radiator off and open the windows. This doesnt seem unreasonable as £95 a night is quite expensive.The other thing is that while its a period building, they really need to consider some kind of double gazing for the windows at the front as the noise from the lorries passing by all through the night kept me awake. You really wouldnt expect it for the location but it was very noisy. However, Breakfast was beautiful and the care and attention provided to us by the manager was brilliant and this alone was enough for me to say I would stay again and recommend the Talbot.

Room Tip: Pick one of the rooms at the back of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us and loved our large individually furnished bedrooms. It's always great to hear that guests will return - we look forward to it particularly as you were a lovely group to host. I am sorry about the minor niggles such as one bottle of water in the rooms - we normally do leave two so I can only apologise about this. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were recommended to the Talbot Inn by very good friends of ours who live in the nearby village. We stayed for one night in mid October and were extremely impressed with the quality of the room and en-suite. The bed was one of the most comfortable that we have slept on, so much so that we requested the wholesalers details! We also had dinner in the restaurant and the menu catered for all tastes and the food was of top quality.
We would certainly recommend to others and will certainly be back when we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us - it is always appreciated. I am so pleased you had a good weekend and enjoyed everything about the Talbot Inn - from our locally sourced food to our comfy beds. I do hope your new beds have arrived! We look forward to seeing you again soon I hope. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

A year ago I said this place should be in Ludlow but was glad it wasn't. I'm still glad especially after dinner for 6 of us last Saturday - my four guests up from London, stayed overnight there too.

They were very complimentary about all aspects of their stay (Especially, the beds which were heaven) The food here gets better and better and they left for the smoke very happy folks.. I'm very happy to return and will do so soon.

Room Tip: All 7 of them are excellently appointed and nothing to choose between them!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal and that your guests (which you kindly recommend stay the night with us) found the Talbot Inn to hit the mark on all fronts. It's always great news (and a relief!) to hear that customers that have been recommended to us leave suitably satisfied and impressed! As for our comfy beds..... there is no better endorsement then the customer requesting the suppliers name in order to purchase two new mattresses the next day! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Talbot Inn 4th and 5th October. We arrived quite early and our room was ready, which is always a bonus, as with bigger hotels you usually have to pay for an early arrival or find something to do until the time you are given to book in.

The room itself was very comfortable, although there were a few niggles that were personal to me - they didn't bother my partner at all. The first thing was that the wardrobe was so close to the bed that you had to really mess around to get anything hung up and the same when getting things out of the wardrobe. The door would only open about a foot. As we were only staying two nights it wasn't too bad, but if we had been there for longer, it would have definitely been a big problem. The second thing a found annoying is that there was a beautiful mirror with a dresser underneath and the only plugs were the other side of the room! I was lucky in that I always take my own hairdryer when we go away and it has a VERY long lead. If I had had to use the hotel one it wouldn't have reached. I know these are picky things, but important to me and did niggle. The other thing was that although we had this beautiful mirror on the wall there wasn't a full length one anywhere in the room, which is unusual.

The offer we paid for included bed, breakfast, a two course evening meal both nights and a "free" glass of wine on arrival. We choose to have the glass of wine with our meal and when it came the glasses were not even a third full. The wine was excellent, but certainly not a "glass of wine" as advertised. The offer was for a two course meal, what it didn't say was that you could only choose this from the basic menu. We didn't expect to be able to choose anything from the menu, but the choice we had was sausage and mash, fish and chips, gammon and chips, burger. We could have paid for anything extra, but felt that although the food was excellent, it should be advertised a bit more clearly.

My partner choose to have mussels for a starter one night and had a bowl of 32 mussels delivered. 16 of those weren't edible as they weren't open. He mentioned it to the waitress who in turn told the manager who came to speak to him and said he would "put it right" - we never did find out what that meant, as nothing happened.

The one thing that we felt was really bad was that at breakfast on the Sunday morning the fire alarm sounded. As usual in these situations all the guests all looked to the staff for guidance. We were told by the waitress to sit where we were until she had checked it out. She disappeared for a couple of minutes and then came back in and spoke to one of the guests on another table asking him if he had left anything on in his room. He replied that he didn't think so and she sent him up to check.

As a Evacuation Officer where I work, I found this incredible! Firstly as soon as the alarm sounds it should be taken very seriously and everyone should be evacuated from the building and secondly a guest should never have been asked to go and check his own room.

Luckily it wasn't anything, just steam from the kitchen going up through the window and setting it off, but it could have been much much worse, and as the building is very old, if there had been a fire the guest could have been trapped or injured.

Having said all of the above, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would certainly return. It was very good value for money, with the food being of a very high standard - even the fish and chips!

We couldn't fault the staff in any way. They couldn't do enough for us and made us feel very welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: All rooms are one same floor, so you do get a bit of noise. Ask for a room away from the car park...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would return to the Talbot. It is kind of you to take the time to write a detailed review of your stay - many of the minor issues are valid points for us to take on board. We do hope you decide to return and look forward to welcoming you back to the Talbot Inn. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenbury Wells
#2 of 6 in Tenbury Wells
Wolferlow Wigwams
Wolferlow Wigwams
#1 of 6 in Tenbury Wells

Been to Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!