“WOULD GO BACK”

Talbot Inn
Southampton, United Kingdom
“WOULD GO BACK”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Talbot Inn 4th and 5th October. We arrived quite early and our room was ready, which is always a bonus, as with bigger hotels you usually have to pay for an early arrival or find something to do until the time you are given to book in.

The room itself was very comfortable, although there were a few niggles that were personal to me - they didn't bother my partner at all. The first thing was that the wardrobe was so close to the bed that you had to really mess around to get anything hung up and the same when getting things out of the wardrobe. The door would only open about a foot. As we were only staying two nights it wasn't too bad, but if we had been there for longer, it would have definitely been a big problem. The second thing a found annoying is that there was a beautiful mirror with a dresser underneath and the only plugs were the other side of the room! I was lucky in that I always take my own hairdryer when we go away and it has a VERY long lead. If I had had to use the hotel one it wouldn't have reached. I know these are picky things, but important to me and did niggle. The other thing was that although we had this beautiful mirror on the wall there wasn't a full length one anywhere in the room, which is unusual.

The offer we paid for included bed, breakfast, a two course evening meal both nights and a "free" glass of wine on arrival. We choose to have the glass of wine with our meal and when it came the glasses were not even a third full. The wine was excellent, but certainly not a "glass of wine" as advertised. The offer was for a two course meal, what it didn't say was that you could only choose this from the basic menu. We didn't expect to be able to choose anything from the menu, but the choice we had was sausage and mash, fish and chips, gammon and chips, burger. We could have paid for anything extra, but felt that although the food was excellent, it should be advertised a bit more clearly.

My partner choose to have mussels for a starter one night and had a bowl of 32 mussels delivered. 16 of those weren't edible as they weren't open. He mentioned it to the waitress who in turn told the manager who came to speak to him and said he would "put it right" - we never did find out what that meant, as nothing happened.

The one thing that we felt was really bad was that at breakfast on the Sunday morning the fire alarm sounded. As usual in these situations all the guests all looked to the staff for guidance. We were told by the waitress to sit where we were until she had checked it out. She disappeared for a couple of minutes and then came back in and spoke to one of the guests on another table asking him if he had left anything on in his room. He replied that he didn't think so and she sent him up to check.

As a Evacuation Officer where I work, I found this incredible! Firstly as soon as the alarm sounds it should be taken very seriously and everyone should be evacuated from the building and secondly a guest should never have been asked to go and check his own room.

Luckily it wasn't anything, just steam from the kitchen going up through the window and setting it off, but it could have been much much worse, and as the building is very old, if there had been a fire the guest could have been trapped or injured.

Having said all of the above, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would certainly return. It was very good value for money, with the food being of a very high standard - even the fish and chips!

We couldn't fault the staff in any way. They couldn't do enough for us and made us feel very welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: All rooms are one same floor, so you do get a bit of noise. Ask for a room away from the car park...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would return to the Talbot. It is kind of you to take the time to write a detailed review of your stay - many of the minor issues are valid points for us to take on board. We do hope you decide to return and look forward to welcoming you back to the Talbot Inn. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed here to break up our long journey home from holiday and I booked the talbot inn as they very kindly agreed to allow our dog to stay with us. Not only had I read good reviews but also as my partner is a chef it was important to us that we stayed somewhere with good food which it appeared so from the sample menu.
On arriving we found the room to be very good, nice decor, lovely bathroom with rainfall shower, very comfy bed and apparently very reasonably priced. Staff were also very pleasant and welcoming on arrival.
We ate in their restaurant that evening and unfortunately very quickly regretted it. We firstly stood waiting to be seated feeling very awkward as the three members of staff in front of us ignored us. Luckily during this time my partner had picked up some menus as once we were finally seated it became a common theme for staff to seat people without giving them menus.
We also noted that a man who appeared to be supervisor/ manager had gone round and spoke to several couples in the restaurant to ensure they were all ok but for some reason ignored us which we felt to be very rude.
As neither of us drink alcohol we ordered diet coke which was flat but credit to them in taking these drinks off our bill.
We were disgusted in the portion sizes which were far too small for the prices charged. The food also lacked quality, flavour and presentation which we are both more than familiar with from both eating and working in fine dining restaurants. On commenting about the absent flavour to a member of staff we gained little resolution and therefore could not see the point in complaining. Luckily the dessert was gorgeous and so we didn't leave feeling completed disappointed. However from the atmosphere throughout the room it appeared that we weren't the only people disappointed that evening.
Overall the service lacked attention to detail, staff did not appear properly trained, they made simple mistakes such as not providing menus or replacing cutlery between courses and had little in the way of customer service.
We then had an unsettled nights sleep despite the very comfy bed due to the banging coming from above us which we feel may have been staff accomodation.
Luckily the lovely lady who served us breakfast the next morning made up for the terrible evening. She was attentive, chatty and welcoming. If it wasn't for her and the quality of the rooms this review would be poor as oppose to average.

• Stayed September 2013
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our rooms and found the inn to be of a high standard. However, I am very disappointed that you appeared to have not enjoyed your evening meal with us. I can only apologise if you found the food lacking in flavour - this is not something we hear often but I have taken your opinion on board. I am also sorry if you felt you were slightly neglected. I can assure you this can have only been an oversight and was certainly not intentional or meant to be rude. Even on a very busy Saturday night we do try to engage in conservation with all our customers as this is a vital part (and enjoyable I may add) aspect of our business. As always customer feedback is vital to me so please do feel free to contact me at the inn if you would like to. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner
London
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Talbot last weekend on a deal though secret escapes. The Inn is gorgeous, we spent the afternoon huddled up in the snug having a few bevvies, before having a nanna nap before dinner. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have stayed in at least this year, if not longer. Cannot fault the staff who were all round awesome, even calling us before we checked in to see if we wanted a reservation for dinner!

Dinner was, really, quite amazing. We missed out on the scallops, but our starters and mains were to die for. But the highlight was the desert - blackberry jelly with lemon curd and meringues. Still making me drool just thinking about it.

Our room (4) was lovely, very quiet. The bathroom was a bit small, but the shower was lush.

Breakfast - tasty, but not as good as dinner. My pot of tea never made it to the table, yet other groups got theirs, and my egg was more hard boiled than poached. Nice sausages.

All up - I would definitely recommend The Talbot, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DivineMrsE
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Monday just got better! Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed all aspects about the Talbot from our lovely beds to our even lovelier and hard working staff! Please do come back and stay again soon! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner,
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a very pleasurable weekend at the Talbot. It is a quaint, eye catching Inn, not pretending to be something it isn’t, nor trying to punch above its weight. Offering a good standard of accommodation ; attractive, clean and comfortable at a reasonable price. The restaurant offers a diverse menu of good quality food to suit all tastes, which is both well cooked and presented. The small residents “snug / lounge” is comfortable and quiet offering a retreat from the bar which is well appointed and homely with a fine selection of beverages ranging from local beers to fine wines. Perhaps the Talbot’s greatest asset is its staff. We found everyone very friendly and willing to help, nothing was too much trouble. We would have no qualms in recommending the Talbot to would-be guests and will be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and everything about the Talbot Inn. Our team work very hard to make sure all our guests are looked after and it is always very pleasing when our guests acknowledge the hard work they all put in - thank you. We do hope you return soon! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner
UK
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked The Talbot Inn as a last minute choice via Secret Escapes for our wedding anniversary, we have not explored this part of the world despite it being on our doorstep!

From the minute we checked in to the minute we left, it was a delight. A warm and friendly welcome awaited us and we were escorted to room 7. A beautifully decorated room overlooking the car park and junction. We had 2 lovely seats in the window so sat and enjoyed a bottle of prosecco looking out onto a field of cows and enjoying the view. The TV in our room wasn't working but we don't watch much TV anyway so all the more excuse to sit and gaze out of the window! The room was very good, comfy bed and pillows and fabulous rainfall shower. Yes, there was a bit of noise from the road but we come from the City so didn't bother us at all.

We ate in the restaurant as a treat for our anniversary. A 3 course meal for the 2 of us and a rather enjoyable bottle of Rioja cost us £80 which was a really good price for the quality of food. The dark chocolate and rosemary tart for dessert was incredible, so much so that I had to swap with the hubby half way through because he couldn't resist trying it, but his cheese board was an excellent choice as well so no hardship for me!!

All in all, a real gem of a find for us and it gave us an excellent base to explore the local area. Thanks to everyone at The Talbot Inn for making our anniversary weekend so special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to review your celebratory weekend break at the Talbot Inn. It is lovely to hear you enjoyed everything that the Talbot has to offer. We will be running a number of different offers throughout the Autumn and Winter months so please do come and stay again with us! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
shropshire uk
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Called in on the off chance for Sunday lunch. Most pleasantly surprised! Polite welcome and friendly service from the bar staff. In addition to the ubiqititous Sunday roasts, there were some interesting starters and good main course alternatives. A sensible pricing structure ensures real diners are attracted, rather than the bargain basement diners who judge more by the volume on their plate, than the quality of the ingredients.
The kitchen displays some skilful touches and the vegetables were the best we've had for a long time. A most attractive conversion of the old landmark makes it a very nice to visit for a seriously good meal! We'll definitely be back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent Sunday lunch with us and many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are in the process of changing our menu and introducing some new dishes to reflect the changing seasons so please do come back and visit again soon.! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
Richmond, North Yorkshire
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were touring to a number of venues around England with my parents and we were so pleased we chose this Inn with it's excellent rooms and high decorative standard. Food and staff were very good and the housekeeper particularly informative, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David D
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our individually decorated bedrooms. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenbury Wells
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport on Severn
The Feathers at Ludlow

Been to Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!