“Great Bar Food”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Yealmpton
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A lovely welcoming Village Pub with an excellent A La Carte Menu which includes Pub Favourites as well as creative restaurant dishes. We are situated in Yealmpton which is a beautiful South Hams village a few miles outside Plymouth in Devon. We have 2 lovely gardens for sunnier times, but our stylish village pubs also offers real comfort inside especially with our log fire and sofas. We are dog friendly, we have disabled access and facilities as well as children's highchairs and changing room. We also have a large Car Park. We also have a separate Function room available for parties and events.
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have eaten here many times and believe it to be the best pub food of any that I have been to. Usually book a table and eat in the restaurant area but forgot to book and predictably there was no table available. I opted to eat in the bar area where there were no reservations and sat at a scrubbed wooden table with a nice big candle burning. The menu was the same as for the restaurant and a board on the wall for the bar food such as a beefburger and fish and chips etc. I had a white bait starter and a beefburger. Now I hate the traditional burgers , but this was home made and it was meaty and there appeared to be no fat at all. Served with a salad and big chips it was excellent value and was very tasty, The white bait was a bit scrawny but none the less pretty good to eat and a more than reasonable portion for the £4.00 price tag.
Service was quick and the food arrived hot on a hot plate. The girls and one lad, serving seem to be well trained and knew all about the dishes on offer and were able to explain the ingredients and almost how they tasted.
This pub has got things right on so many aspects that it is a let down when I try somewhere different and I am invariably disappointed.
I wish them luck also with their venture at the Elberton a few miles away towards Plymouth, which from comments by friends in the area, has not quite got there and work is needed, not only on the food but the premises. The external has been painted and it is looking quite nice so once the internal seating etc has been upgraded and the food is of the same standard as the Rose and Crown it could be another place to go with confidence.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Creedy Carver Duck followed by Poached pear cinnamon biscuit and passion fruit sorbet..mmmm mmm mm mm mmm delicious.
Every single vegetable with the duck held it's own flavour and taste and married up together so well. I was delighted with the way it was cooked, presented and most of all tasted.
The dessert was a great ending to the meal, pear cooked wonderfully well, firm but soft and not soggy/melted. The sorbet was fresh and fruity.
No wine on this visit as it was lunchtime and I was driving:(
The service was fabulous as usual. It's good to see staff genuinely smiling and attentive to all customers.
Job well done.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visited the Rose & Crown with friend and family, which included my 23 month old grandson, who needed a high chair. The pub has a lovely atmosphere and the staff were lovely, so helpful, and nothing seemed too much trouble for them.
My grandson had the children's cottage pie, which was beautifully presented, and tasted really good - his meal arrived before ours, which I thought was brilliant. Gave us time to feed him and get him settled before we ate. He thought his meal was very tasty! He managed to eat half of the portion and was most chilled out afterwards.

We had a mixture of Ceasar salad, Burgers, and Mussels for our main choices which were thoroughly enjoyed by all. We could not resist the temptation of a pudding and so indulged in Apple crumble, Sticky toffee pudding, Perry poached pear, and the cheesecake. Everybody declared that they were all quite heavenly!!!! Did not do well for the waistline - but oh so yummy.

We will definitely be coming back - the quality and presentation of the food in such pleasant surroundings, with lovely staff, makes this a must visit!

Thank you Rose & Crown.........................

Reviewed August 19, 2012

On Sunday evening the place was very busy with locals and some visitors - a good sign. We ordered our food at the bar - sirloin of beef, which was cooked perfectly, and apple crumble for me and panacotta with mango sorbet for my wife, both of which were delicious - and a very acceptable bottle of Chilean Merlot. The waiting staff were very friendly and efficient and the food arrived very quickly. They have a simple pricing policy: all starters @ £5; mains @ £12; puddings @ £4 - easy to follow and good value. Altogether a very pleasant experience.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Rose & Crown is always our first stop when we come down to our cottage in Devon. We usually arrive on a Friday evening at about 8.30pm, just in time to order the scallops and the fish & chips, which are both absolutely gorgeous. The Otter batter on the fish is light and crispy, and the creamed mushy peas and the triple cooked chips just complement it perfectly. I also like that it's all very nicely presented on clean white plates and with subtle garnishes.

We have also eaten in the restaurant and all of the food is excellent. It's difficult to get a reservation for Saturday evenings, but well worth the effort.

Highly recommended!