Kitley House Hotel
Rose & Crown(Yealmpton)
TripAdvisor
All reviewskitley housemurder mysterystate roomscream teastately homelong drivewaywedding venuesconeslog firesome tlcstandard roomfour poster bedtop floorlovely locationcooked breakfastchurchill suitewarm welcome
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

I got a late deal and so the price paid reflects the value of the room (room 11). Probably. The room was comfortable enough although nothing special, a little dated and tired in places (much like me). That said it was spotlessly clean with good linen and towels (but cheap toiletries). I was advised on check out that they did have "nicer rooms" on the first floor if I came back. This was in response to me saying the rooms at Langdon Court nearby were nicer when I was asked what I thought.

The old house was once upon a time a gorgeous building and no doubt now costs a fortune to maintain. The previous reviews mention the driveway, it's true that the potholes require navigating carefully to save suspension but I found it charming and not too bad.

The bar has a lovely veranda overlooking breathtaking grounds. My only grumble is that they don't serve New Zealand sauvignon blanc by the glass. Where in the world doesn't?!

The food here is very good, I asked for a change to the menu and it was accommodated easily and I thought the food was great value, there were healthy choices and it was very well presented. Nothing at all was too much trouble.

Breakfast was also good and I liked that you could chose just continental or cooked and there was a price option/choice.

The main thumbs up go to the staff and the service. They try very hard with guests and I was made to feel welcome. There was a one off issue that I won't mention as it was one off and the staff handled it very well which is all that matters if something goes a little wrong which things do from time to time.

I liked it here, Langdon Court is my preference but Kitley is worth a visit and I probably would return but to an upgraded room and with a friend to share a bottle of NZSB with!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Emma H
Reviewed May 4, 2018

I booked rooms for 16 people for a re-union and requested a separate dining room for dinner. All of the 16 guests had very nice rooms especially the State rooms, and the dinner and breakfasts were delicious and well served by a friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble and to be so well received by Linda on arrival and to find the bedrooms so beautifully equipped and pleasantly, comfortably, and cheerfully decorated made our stay so enjoyable. One problem was the uneven drive up to the hotel but I was told that this was being resurfaced soon. I have no hesitation in recommending this splendid old mansion to anyone who is looking for a quiet friendly family hotel in beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2018

14 of us have a reunion every year and this year we chose The Kitley Hotel. It was a superb choice and the Staff looked after us so well. The grounds are kept beautiful so that most rooms have a garden or creek view. The food was excellent both nights My husband had Steak & I had Sea Bass both we thoroughly recommend. The Breakfasts were enjoyed by all of us. We had a standard room ( 11 ) on the 2nd floor Small with lots of narrow stairs. It had a large bed and was very clean. Another time we would choose a State Room as these are on the 1st floor.

Room Tip: Telephone when booking to ask for a room on 1st floor especially if you have a stair problem.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2018

The bedroom was ok.All the staff were friendly and helpful but not trained well. For example a long wait before being approached be it in the bar, dinner or breakfast, even though we had been seen and the place was almost empty. Repeated "Hi Guys" to an older couple is not ideal. Not remembering who had ordered what is not professional.

Not to have the ingredients for a "Bloody Mary" was no fault of the person serving at he Bar. Another management failure.

Nice short walk with two herons a swan nesting, but the drive is a disgrace. There was a real risk of damaging tyres or other parts of the car. There were scores of potholes all the along the drive, some large. Only very cautious driving avoided damage. Poor mangement again.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cooksy6
Reviewed April 28, 2018 via mobile

We were married here with an intimate wedding package between Christmas and New Year and everything about it was perfect. The staff were superb, they put so much effort into making our day extra special, nothing was too much trouble, they were able to think on their feet and improvise quickly! The food was delicious and the house and grounds looked amazing, we would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple