“Surprised and delighted” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mvuradona Safari Lodge
Maputo
“Surprised and delighted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Having seen a couple of negative reviews I was very close to not booking this lodge. As all other lodges on the Crocodile River were full I decided to take a chance. Thank goodness we did - we loved it. I am very fussy about standards of accommodation, locations and atmospheres but you can't get much better value for money than Mvuradona. I have already recommended it to everyone I know. It's very comfortable, lovely setting, great staff, beautiful intimate boma for candle lit dinner then miles of walking along the crocodile river. At 7am we ran down to the fence (which kept us safely away from the animals in the Kruger Park on the Croc River) as we heard lions making a kill. Didn't see them but heard them. Our 2 and 3 year olds loved it and we spend hours just ambling along the river seeing hyena, hundreds of buffalo and all sorts of interesting things. We are still not fans of Marloth Park but this lodge has river frontage so you really do not feel you are part of Marloth Park and just get all the benefits of being in a relatively safe area to walk and take in the surroundings. We'll be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Arabic first
Larnaka City, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

I returned to Jay's place having been absolutely blown away by the place when I was in South Africa in 2006 and I had the pleasure of meeting Jay back then. I took other members of my family who had flown out from Cyprus for and expected it to be just as great this time round as well, we stayed 3 days.

I'm sorry to say I was dissapointed and I suspect it's because Jay isn't managing the place herself anymore. It's definetly lost its personal touch for me.

The manager lives just a few houses away from the lodge, so the dinner is served by Dumisane at 7 sharp and then everything is locked up - the lounge, kitchen and bar at 8 at night!! Not what you expect on your holiday. We also felt pressurised into finishing a three course meal in 1 hour because she wanted to get home. It just isn't good enough...Mvuradona might be cheaper than most Private lodges, but its not that cheap!!

On a positive note, the game was plentiful, we saw all the BIG 5 at Krugerpark on a game drive arranged by the lodge, the hogs still run around freely at your feet, and the new pool has made a huge difference to the experience.

The food at the lodge is delicious, but you dont get time to enjoy it and BEWARE of the expensive bar tab - they charge a corkage fee which we weren't aware of until the 2nd day. My advice is take your own booze, we paid through the back teeth for supplied lager and Wine.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NicolaQ
pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

I booked the lodge for June/July of 2009 by sending approximately $250 to reserve our spot. When we booked, I asked about the cancellation policy. Jay, the lodge owner, told me that it was a full refund if cancelled 60 days or more in advance. We had to cancel our trip and depsote 3 requests to credit my card for the refund, Jay has not repsonded -or-refunded my card.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank kimeb
, Owner at Mvuradona Safari Lodge, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
This is so unfortunate, as the guest has been refunded. At the time of cancellation of booking, we responded to the guest on email which kept bouncing back undelivered. We desperatley needed the credit card details to do the refund. The guest profile also had no telephone contact details. After much frustration, the refund was eventually processed with the help of the banks.
Tunbridge Wells, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

Our visit to Mvuradona in Marloth Park was a truly memorable and unforgettable experience. Having booked a Virgin 8 day tour for our family of 7 starting from Kruger and going on to Mozambique and Swaziland, I decided to add on a night on either side of the tour. I am so glad I found Mvuradona through tripadvisor! On entering Marloth park we immediately saw an elephant with her calf, some rhino, buffalo and monkeys. Our flight was delayed 3 hours so we arrived at the lodge too late for the evening game walk which was included in the package. However, Sandra, the manager, said she would take us for an early morning walk instead. She showed us to our rooms which were so "African" and extremely comfortable. The cook then grilled chicken around the open fire and we tucked in to a delicious meal served on the verandah - several warthogs also tried to join in! However, it was the early morning walk that will live in our minds. It is just a few minutes walk to the Crocodile river and within half an hour we saw a pride of lions appear on the opposite bank of the river (which is in Kruger Park) and stroll magificently along the riverbank. It was a bit scary being so close and only separated by a thin wire fence but Sandra assured that none of the guests had become breakfast to date!! There were plenty of other animals to see, including buffalo, zebra, warthogs, impala, kudu and leopard.

The walk was followed by a delicious breakfast, again served on the verandah alongside the swimming pool.

Mvuradona is not 5 star luxury (it gets pretty close) but if you want a truly African experience in a very beautiful and unspoilt area close to Kruger with wonderful hosts and very reasonable prices, this is definitely the place!

• Liked — Proximity to wildlife
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

What can I say - I came looking for an authentic African experience, and I ended up with a new extended family!

I travel a lot, and I cannot ever remember feeling more at home and more welcome and taken care of than at Mvuradona.

I was traveling with a friend - our first time in South Africa, and we had no idea what to expect. From the pre-reservation phase, Jay could not have been more helpful and accomodating! We had a fantastic itinerary put together before we got there!

The care into the details of everything from the activites, to the food to the Cadbury chocolate on my pillow every night was incredible.

Jay is one awesome lady, Sandra and Jessie are the perfect hostesses, and can they ever cook!!!!!

The place is gorgeous, perfect location - nice being outside Kruger because it allowed for flexibility in activities. And we had visitors - zebras, warthogs, birds and even a few animals I heard at night but didn't see!

t's always a bit scary choosing a place for a vacation and not knowing what to expect - I really got lucky this time - and rest asssured you will too!! I can't recommend this place highly enough!

• Liked — The warmth and hominess
  • Disliked — I loved everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank ohdonnaoh
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

Myself and a friend stayed at Mvuradona over Easter weekend 2007. Prior to arrival, I found Jay's emails to be pleasant and she was very patient with us as our plans changed and we asked frequent questions.

The location of the lodge is wonderful, only 15 minutes from the Crocodile Bridge Gate, and situated in an area that is rich with animals itself, but safe to explore on foot during the day. One can even walk to the Kruger fence, and watch the larger animals at the river.

Our room was clean and well-maintained, though we spent little time inside of it. Meals were served buffett-style for all guests and were very tasty.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

Just returned from a 10 day trip around the Kruger National park, staying at 5 different luxury lodges and Mvuradona was by far the best. As a family with 2 teenage children, we were looking for the luxury safari experience at a reasonable price - a tall order, but Mvuradona fitted the bill perfectly. It is a small lodge situated in the private Marloth Conservancy on the Crocodile River, bordering the southern Kruger, from where it is only about 20 minutes into the park via the Crocodile Gate entrance. However, you don't need to go into the park to see animals. Along the long river frontage, we saw herds of elephant and buffalo, impala and zebra were in the grounds and warthogs wandered into the garden.
The style of the lodge is luxurious - classically african, tastefully mixed with antiques. It is definitely worth upgrading. We stayed in the gorgeous luxury suite with its en-suite bathroom, with Victorian cast iron bath and large balcony overlooking the river and the children had the huge family room, which easily slept 4. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble for the owner Jay and her team. After drinks and cooling face towells to freshen up, we were soon whisked off for sundowners and delicious home-made nibbles on the banks of the river, where the game viewing was excellent. Dinner was either served on an upstairs balcony under the stars, listening to the distant calls of lion or in the elegant dining room and there is a boma for after dinner tales around the fire. The food was first class - even the al-fresco breakfast cooked in the bush on a game drive and served on a white tablecloth! Jay organises all sorts of excursions - from the usual game drives to more unusual trips to the sea in neighbouring Mozambique. Simon, the game warden is excellent and kept our children thoroughly entertained on a Tiger fishing trip on the river, where they saw hippo and crocodile. The game vieving in the area is superb but it was hard to drag ourselves away from the luxury of the lodge. Jay is the perfect hostess and her attention to detail - from the decanters of drinks in the bedroom to the luxury toiletries in the bathroom are what makes Mvuradona stand out from other lodges in this price range. We were lucky enough to have the lodge to ourselves as we arrived just after the Easter rush but our 3 nights wasn't long enough. Next time we'll go back for longer.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 31 in Marloth Park
Buckler's Africa
Buckler's Africa
#1 of 13 in Komatipoort

Been to Mvuradona Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!