“The best honeymoon location - intimate and simply divine”
Review of Maqueda Lodge

Maqueda Lodge
Polokwane, South Africa
“The best honeymoon location - intimate and simply divine”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

There are four star lodges, and then there's Maqueda. My wife and I never felt so special. Hospitality and personalized service is what makes Maqueda stand out from the rest. The food is carefully prepared and presented with exquisite detail. The mouth watering salads are to die for and serve as excellent starters for the delicious main course which is served in full portion. If you have enough space, you'll love the complementary sweet and savory dessert which is by no means short of royal class. Such 5 star treatment in a 4 star lodge should be illegal.
We have found a tranquil place that which will be part of our annual retreats. What an awesome place to start off our lives together . . .

Mphele&Monica
Married : 30June 2012
Guests at Maqueda : 01 -08 July 2012

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite obviously
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mphele T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed June 18, 2012

A friend of mine chose Maqueda Lodge to celebrate her birthday during a trip through the North-East of South Africa and it was the absolutely perfect place for this. The lodge is run by two brothers: Francois and Etienne, who was waiting for us at the entrance of the parking and then accompanied us to a small paradise: in a cosy, open lounge we had a great welcome conversation in German - our mother tongue- that made us feel home immediately. The rooms are surprisingly spacious with very good beds and many small fondly signs of hospitality. Yet, the absolute highlight was a perfect dinner with special music: Etienne, next to being the cook at Maqueda Lodge is an opera singer and spoiled us with his fantastic voice. He also shared his social projects with us that he finances collecting money all over the world as "singing cook". We came as foreigners and left as friends: after only one evening!!! Next time we'll certainly stay longer :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dorothea S
Valencia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We chose Maqueda Lodge after reading the reviews at Trip Advisor, it seemed like a good choice.
From the very first moment that we contacted them by email they were very helpful.
We arrived late and found two welcoming brothers who ran the lodge, everything was ready for us and they had prepared a lovely dinner. The meals were all amazing, better than in any restaurant that we could think of!

They also helped us planning the activities from home and made all the
necessary arrangements.

The Lodge has just five rooms, you feel like at home in Africa!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank CristinaNavarro
San Diego
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We are from California and this was our first trip to Africa so we didn’t know what to expect from our time at Maqueda Lodge. I had many questions before we arrived and Francois answered every one of them. I was a little unsure of the best mode of transportation to the lodge so Francois took it upon himself to make all of the arrangements for us to arrive from JNB airport. The shuttle ride from Johannesburg to Nelspruit allowed us to see more of Africa than we would have if we flew directly into Nelspruit. It was easier on the wallet as well. When we were planning our vacation, I wanted to ensure we received the most value for our money. I spent a lot of time researching different lodges inside and outside Kruger National Park. Let me tell you, I am happy that we chose Maqueda Lodge. We spent four beautiful nights at the lodge. The lodge is literally at the fence line of Kruger. We took several bush walks from the lodge to the fence and saw lions, elephants, crocodiles, buffalo, and all of the other animals Kruger has to offer. We saw four of the big 5 on the first safari that we took. The leopards were being a little elusive during our stay. Our guide was very knowledgeable and provided the best safari experience. We also went quad riding in the bush which was a wonderful experience. All of the people were extremely nice and hospitable. Etienne cooked the most amazing food and we ate like kings during our stay. The attention to detail paid by Francois and Etienne is unmatched. Anything we needed was provided and everything we asked for was accomplished. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. These accommodations are top notch and you would be hard pressed to find a better place anywhere. The prices are extremely reasonable for the five star services they provide. As I said earlier, I did a lot of research before I chose Maqueda Lodge. I looked at all of the expensive game reserves inside Kruger National Park and there is not one service that those expensive lodges provide that Maqueda Lodge doesn’t. The crocodile bridge, which is the entrance to Kruger, is only a 15 minute drive with the new road that is being paved as we speak. I just cannot fathom why someone would rather pay more for the same or lesser service. Maqueda Lodge is a real gem and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rez21
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Our experience at Maqueda is too beautiful not to share. A warm, wholesome and wow stay we had. We spent three beautiful nights at the lodge with my sister and my two sons. The lodge is run (with plenty of good attention to detail) by the Van der Nest family who were always close enough to cater to our needs without being overbearing. For me it's always a somewhat concern when traveling with my children (from menus to age appropriate activities) and so I always approach niche places with reserved excitement. We were pleasantly surprised to be met by top notch recommendations and service that were quite fitting of our young family. The big bonus for us was our last night around the fire with Francois and Etienne sharing good conversation and finally some awesome opera from our dearest Cooking Tenor (who can cook up a mean feast too!).
We are now inspired to visit the family's Mozambique lodge for some more 'six star' spoiling and will definitely recommend and visit Maqueda again.

Room Tip: Room 5 & 6 are perfect for a small family that needs to be accommodated very close to each other
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TSH010GP
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was an impromptu trip for me and I was pleasantly surprised by the magnificent food, service and general hospitality!

It's a great family affair and nothing short of excellence.

• Stayed April 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I were in Maqueda a year ago as boyfriend and girlfriend and had a brilliant time and I shared my experience on this site back then raving about it all.

Now I am back to tell you about the family's Mozambique camp where we spent our honeymoon. Although very different from Maqueda in the sense it is in a remote area and close to the sea, it still has the same comforts, exquisite food and hospitality that only this wonderful family can provide.

My husband and I spent 4 very relaxing days lazying at the camp and on the beach and as usual eating the most mouth watering food you will be blessed to taste.

On the last night we gathered around an enchanting fire and feasted on a prawn braai.
The camp was very clean and comfortable. We were in a luxury tent and despite heavy rains on 2 nights we stayed very warm and dry in our beautiful bed. It was wonderful to be woken by sunshine, birds and delicious coffee and rusks each morning.... before the fresh fruit and cooked breakfast that followed.

I highly recommend the experience not only for people from outside of Africa (my husband is Irish and I am an Italian saffa, we live in London) but also for fellow Saffa's that need to unwind from all the noise, rush, commotion and stress our daily lives put on us.

The family also told us they have hosted team building events close to and at this camp in a similar form to 'the amazing race' and the company has been back a second time. So this camp is not just a perfect remote holiday spot but also good for team building business events, boys/mens weekends and the likes.

As I said before, although each venue is different and unique with its own treasures to offer, both are very very clean. luxurious, comfortable and the food is exquisite, and all this is delivered with such love and passion by the hosts, Francois, Etienne and their wonderful parents.

My husband and I are already planning our one year anniversary, when we plan to go back to maqueda lodge and invite friends to go with us.....any excuse to go back ;)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
#6 of 33 in Marloth Park
Mvuradona Safari Lodge
Mvuradona Safari Lodge
#5 of 33 in Marloth Park

Been to Maqueda Lodge? Share your experiences!