“Pure Gold!”
Review of Royal Kruger Lodge

Royal Kruger Lodge
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at the Lodge for 5 nights in August of this year. The Lodge was immaculate and kept in beautiful condition; the staff were incredibly friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble; the guides were full of knowledge, super friendly and their passion for the animals and their beautiful country completely enhanced our experience; and Vic, the owner, was a true gem - they say the Irish have the best sense of humour don’t they?!
As a vegetarian visiting Africa I had high hopes of losing a few kilos - this was not to be the case whilst staying at the Lodge! The chefs were fabulous and made some of the best vegetarian meals I have ever eaten! Each morning there was plentiful supply of post-breakfast muffins (delicious I might add – one morning I ate 4) for those who had early morning activities planned, breakfast was whatever you wanted, lunch ranged from burgers and chips to salad and dinner was always a four course fabulous feast with dessert always a surprise (a damn good surprise)!
The guides were so helpful in assisting us plan our stay and activities - they sat down with us upon our arrival, explained all of the activities on offer and drew up a program that best suited my partner and me. Two of the most memorable activities were the bushwalk through the Kruger National Park where we were chased by an elephant (boy did that get the heart racing) and our trip to Chimp Eden despite a number of the chimps hauling rocks and sticks at me in the hope of an exchange for food (really, all they had to do was ask - or has evolution not progressed that far?). On all of the activities we went on we found the guides to be incredibly knowledgeable and no question was considered too dumb or too inappropriate. We found all of the guides to be genuinely great people who you would love to have as your mates (if any of you need a place to stay in Sydney...).
Vic...what to say about Vic...Vic has a truly wicked sense of humour - blame the Irish blood! We were lucky enough to being staying at the lodge when he was there with his daughter. Vic was probably the best host I have come across - he was friendly, hilarious and extremely accommodating!
Our time spent at the Lodge was one of the best experiences we have ever had travelling and we absolutely cannot wait to return! If I can convince the bf to propose, we might even get married there amongst the warthogs, zebras and giraffes!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am so glad your enjoyed your stay and the tours..... and of course gaining a few kilos on the 'veggie burgers'.

I guess when you were talking about me you must have met my twin brother.... .he is the Irish guy who enjoys a few drinks with the guests. Don't believe anything he told you.... .just kidding.

We really enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again. Be sure to tell all your friends and check out the specials on Trip Advisor.

Until the next time, thanks again, keep well and Slainte Beatha (that's Gaelic for Healthy Life)

All the best,

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Loved the environment & surroundings including the local wildlife which visited the resort daily.
Arranged tours & excursions were excellent as were the tour guides, their knowledge was second to none.
The staff and management were extermely friendly & helpful.
The air-conditioning in the rooms was great but the inclusion of ceiling fans for night time use would have been more appropriate.
Room lighting could have been better for reading.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for your review and feedback. So glad you enjoyed your stay and the tours.

Thanks for the feedback on the room fans. I have not received this before. Given the temperature range differences of winter and summer, the Hot / Cold air conditioning units are far more effective. I was wondering did you have the unit on Swing or Static mode. Swing mode should negate the need for a fan. However, I will look into this further.

Also thank you for the feedback on the room lighting. Again most people seem to prefer the subdued light which gives more of a bush ambience. However, had we known this was a problem we would gladly have replaced the bulbs with brighter ones and added additional lighting if required. Perhaps the team did not make you aware this could be done and I will certainly address this with them.

Thank you again for everything and hopefully we will see you some time in the future.

Take care and best from all of us at RKL.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Recently, Rhino SA organized a trip for the OMG Kids to travel around South Africa; allowing them to witness first hand the dire plight of the Rhino. Rhino SA partnered with OMG to produce a documentary film (with Red Sky Pictures) about creating awareness among the youth of South Africa and the world about the near extinction of the Rhino.

We had the utmost pleasure and privilege of staying at the Royal Kruger Lodge. We were fortunate enough to become great friends with the owner, Vic Tilling, who not only humbly offered us great service and amazing accommodation, but also stood up for the plight of the Rhino and the importance of educating the youth. Vic and his daughter Amber participated in the documentary film (One More Generation), showcasing the values of not only himself but the values of the Royal Kruger Lodge.

I was even more humbled by Vic Tilling the friendly Irishman (when having the opportunity to interview him) that he spoke with an immense passion for the environment, the Rhino and importance of educating the youth worldwide. Without the help of Vic and the Royal Kruger Lodge our project would not have been a success.

With saying that, Royal Kruger Lodge is nothing but exceptional. There is a sense of African pride and humbleness. The staff accommodate well and above what is expected of them, making sure that their guests are comfortable and well catered for.

At Royal Kruger Lodge you can sit under the African stars eating a delicious intimate Boma dinner, with a "suprise" at the end of the night. You can occasionally watch African dancing and a giraffe eating on your door step. You can enjoy sunset drives along the river bed and first class game drives though the Kruger Park with experienced and knowledgeable field guides.Most of all you are treated as a friend, not a guest, and such custom tailored hospitality is what makes the "Real African Experience."

I would recommend over and over again, to any international visitor and friend, if you are traveling to the Kruger Park you should stay at the Royal Kruger Lodge. No matter what your needs are, they can and will be fulfilled there. As a traveler - traveling to 34 countries in the past 4 years, and as an African, I can say that Royal Kruger Lodge is a place I would return to any day.

Royal Kruger Lodge is Africa - because it feel's like home.

With love to Royal Kruger Lodge and it's family of staff,
Tijana Huysamen (One More Generation Documentary Film Crew)

This thanks is also on behalf of: Rhino SA, Red Sky Pictures, and OMG

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you all for the the great review but more importantly for the fantastic work you are doing to try to bring awareness to people around the world, to the real probem we are facing with respect to Rhino poaching in South Africa.

This year alone over 848 have been killed to date. It could well top around a 1,000 by the end of the year as against 668 for the year 2013. Only 272 poachers have been caught and they will probably be released soon to continure their evil work. This trend cleraly shows Rhino poaching is in the increase and it is only a matter of a few years before they are extinct in their natural environment.

Unless the Government and other organisations really do something drastic to reverse this trend, the war against Rhino poaching will be lost. Our kids won't be able to see these beloved animals except in zoos etc. and South Africa will be advertising 'come and visit the Kruger to experience the BIG 4'.

I don't mean to carry on but the situation we are facing is horrific and it makes me both extremely sad and angry.

Thank God for people like yourselves who are trying to make a difference. Through your efforts and dedication we may yet win this war against the poachers. Best of luck with the documentary and we are all looking forward to seeing it.

Keep up the great work and you will have our support wherever possible.

God bless.

Vic and the RKL Team.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Staying at RKL was a joy in every sense. The staff were so friendly, we were well fed and made to feel part of a "bush Family". I will never forget the 7 giraffe that greeted me in the back yard or the zebras and warthog that made regular visits. The guides were excellent, well informed and professional in their duties. Optional tours were readily arranged but I would think twice before doing the Panorama Tour unless you are happy spending 7 hrs driving to the area for a couple of hours sightseeing. As a group this might have worked but as a solo traveller I would say don't do it. Other tours and walks were great. I look forward to returning some time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I will be sure to let the team know.

Indeed you are right with respect to the Panoramic Tour. Unfortunately the road works near the gorge add significantly to the drive time. Hopefully they will finish these in the next few months but that may be wishful thinking on my part :).

While the views are stunning, I tend to agree with you that it is more suited to a group activity than a solo one.

Once again, thank your for your feedback and review and keep well.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We recently stayed at Royal Kruger Lodge as part of our 3-week visit to South Africa where our kids (founders of the nonprofit organization called One More Generation) were being accompanied by a LA based film crew shooting a documentary about the plight of rhinos. Vic and his entire team were absolutely amazing and helped assure everyones needs were attended to.

The goal of our trip was to document the efforts for youth around the world and how they were all trying to help raise awareness to the increase in poaching of rhinos. When Vic heard of our efforts he quickly sprang to action and offered every assistance possible to ensure our entire team was well taken care of. From the time we arrived, up until the day we reluctantly had to leave, Vic and his staff made all of us feel like family.

From first thing in the morning until all hours of the night, everyone at Royal Kruger Lodge was always available to help ensure our stay was perfect. From the amazing food to the fabulous entertainment and hospitality, everything was perfect. Vic not only ensured our entire team felt at home, he actually even got involved with our efforts to try and save rhinos.

We will definitely be returning to Royal Kruger Lodge and not just for the great accommodations and food, but also for the sincere friendship Vic and his team extended to us all. Impeccable service in South Africa can be as elusive as trying to spot the Big-5, but not when you stay at Royal Kruger Lodge.

Stay tuned to our website for more information regarding the documentary being produced about our two young founders and their efforts to save rhinos, you are sure to see Vic and his team as they were definitely one of our highlights of our trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Zebra and rhino rooms and they afforded us the best opportunity to see wildlife pas...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

It was fantastic meeting you guys and an absolute privilege being a small part in the wonderful work you are doing internationally to bring the plight of the Rhinos to the attention of the world.

I just wish our own Government did a lot more than they are doing in the current war against the Rhino poachers......a war, sadly to say, we are losing at the moment. However, through your efforts and dedication and those of Rhino SA, hopefully we can reverse that situation and preserve the Rhinos for future generations to enjoy.

We are truly blessed to having organisations like yourselves fighting to protect endangered species and the enviroment as a whole.

I and all the team at RKL look forward to working with you. We look forward to seeing the documentary in the New Year and wish you every success for the future. Needless to say, we can't wait for your next visit.

Keep up the great work and God bless.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Lodge in September and had a brilliant time, Vic and his team were true professionals and nothing was too much trouble for them. The Service was exceptional the lodge was spotless and the food was delicious. The game drives were absolutely fantastic Robert was very knowledgeable and made the drives fun and exciting. We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at the lodge and everyone went out of their way to make it a very special occasion for us and for that we are truly grateful. We will not forget this holiday in a hurry! We would like to thank Vic and his team for a truly memorable experience. We would recommend Royal Kruger Lodge to any one looking for a brilliant safari, great game drives and a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

So sorry for the delay in responding to your review. I actually did write a review but I saw the one for the OMG kids was posted against yours. Blame it on me being Irish.... ha ha.

Anyway so glad you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to make your anniversary and little something special. Please be sure to let your friends know about us and ask them to look for specials on Trip Advisor or to contact me direct.

Hopefully we will see you back in these parts again. In the meantime keep well and we will have the Champagne on ice for your next celebration.

All the very best,

Vic and the RKL Team.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We loved every minute of our stay. The game drives were phenomenal & Robert has eyes like an eagle. He saw animals that none of us would have seen without him.

Julia - absolutely beautiful lady & a fabulous chef. The care & consideration shown by both Julia & Emily was exceptional. The quality & servings of our meals was outstanding.

We met some wonderful new friends and totally enjoyed the entire experience. Vic, we are planning our next visit already. We can't wait to go back.

Colleen & Wylie

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Great meeting you guys and glad you are planning you trip back. Don't forget to look for specials on Trip Advisor and be sure to tell all your friends.

I am still trying to find the manufacturer of the doors for you and I wll let you know as soon as I have some news.

Thanks for the great review and keep well.

See you soon.

#8 of 34 in Marloth Park
Turaco Lodge
Turaco Lodge
#7 of 34 in Marloth Park

Been to Royal Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!