“With beautiful surrounds and helpful staff, I'd recommend it to all my friends!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Kruger Lodge

Royal Kruger Lodge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Many of the guests I spoke to were just as impressed as I was with the total service provided at Royal Kruger. From the initial email contact, to the wonderful service and knowledgable guides, the whole thing was effortless... And so relaxing. With beautiful gardens, abundant wildlife, a swimming pool, unique dining/drinking settings and clean rooms (with air con) this was the perfect place for a 5 day getaway... Just wished I'd been able to stay longer!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Kbbraeuer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I couldn't believe our luck when we arrived at the Royal Kruger Lodge. It was our first trip to South Africa (and Africa for that matter), and not without hesitation, my sister and I drove from Johannesburg to Marloth Park. I personally didn't know what to expect being in this country but were welcomed by the most wonderful staff. We basically had the lodge to ourselves during our December stay. Nonetheless, the staff was out full force to make sure we were comfortable and having a good time. I never felt like they "downgraded" their service because we were the only guests. Our stay started with a complimentary 30 min massage...one of the best massages I've ever had! Vic, please make sure you keep Meghan, and build her that spa!
Our 6 day 5 night package included 2 safari drives, a bush walk, and a picnic at the Crocodile River. Bretton led us on the safari and he was so friendly and knowledgeable we didn't even mind not seeing a leopard on this trip. We truly appreciated Rick's warm company at dinner when there were no other guests on the table. Leanne helped us plan an itinerary and, as the manager, she made us feel so at home. I didn't get to meet wonderful Julia until the last day (and I can attest that all the wonderful things they say about her are true), but Pretty and Promise took good care of us in her absence. I didn't meet the owner, Vic, either, but his prompt email responses to my questions were very reassuring. Vic, do you ever sleep? How do you manage to answer my questions so promptly with the time difference?

We stayed in the Elephant Room. I guess the only con I can think of is that the hand held showers in the bathroom take, a little bit of getting used to especially if you are used to an attached, free standing shower head, but this quickly became a non-issue once we discovered the outdoor shower. The other con is that you will NEVER get the chance to be hungry so this is not a good place to start a diet! I do have a complaint in that there is no drip or pressed coffee (just instant) in the morning, but I think that's the standard in South Africa.

This is not a luxury resort so please make sure your expectations are adjusted accordingly. You won't find 24 hr room service here, a shiny lobby, a valet, or OnDemand on your room TV. I'll tell you what this place is: it is a clean, well maintained lodge with the nicest people you have ever met that is ideally located near Kruger Park. It is basic in terms of its amenities but top notch in terms of its service. This is a safari, people! You will get insects that bite. Heck, you may even get a little dusty! If you want the 5 star luxury hotel then stay in Johannesburg. If you are a high maintenance type of traveler, then don't stay here. In fact, don't even travel.

All I can tell you was that I felt so lucky that I had the opportunity to visit this beautiful country and all the while staying in this wonderful establishment.

Room Tip: The Panoramic Tour is fairly expensive and probably unnecessary. If you're brave enough (we wer...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Royal Kruger Lodge Nov 2012 and what a great end to our month long trip of Africa. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The staff of Leanne, Julia, Bretton, Monicca, just to name a few made our stay all the more enjoyable. The staff ensure you have everything you need and more. The food, WOW, Julia runs a great kitchen with well trained staff and it shows in the quality and presentation of the food. The rooms are all clean, comfortable beds, great air conditioners and the outdoor shower is a treat if you choose to use it rather than the one in your room. Piece of advice though, don't leave your full bottles of water beside your bed, they seem to disappear every morning when the room is cleaned for some reason.
Bretton is passionate about his surroundings and was a pleasure to get to know, take the bush walk with him and you find there are some very interesting "small" creatures in South Africa apart from the BIG 5, its fascinating. Robert, well he is one of the funniest guides I have ever met, talk and laugh all the way but also good at spotting animals you would never know where there. The communal living is a great way to get to know other travellers and we made some great friends. The settings are comfortable and the pool small but on hot days does the job. How cool to be swimming when the Kudo's decide they want to check us out, the girafees and zebras are also very nosy. The funniest thing is when the Wart Hog brings her babies in for a snack and they go running around the yard just like little children.
Another piece of advice is never tell Julia your food serves are too big, she gets her feeling hurt and is so passionate takes it to heart, she is one in a million, a gem in the beauty of South Africa!! The Internet is really bad, but then again your in Kruger, South Africa, so be thankful when you do get hile we were at RKL we did the Sundowner Drive, its ok but not many animals to see, just the beauty of the river.
The Game day drives are great but after talking to Leanne hopefully they will add a full day or overnight drive as you can go around a very small portion of Kruger park and not see very much of it at all. Leanne did advise she was talking to Vic (the owner) about this and if we return we would hope a longer game drive has been added to ensure maximum animal spotting.
The Marloth Park Bush walk was undertaken with Bretton and it was pretty cool they way he showed us various small insects, trails, fruits, trees and talked so passionately, worth doing!!
One thing we were disappointed in was the Wellness centre wasn't actually advertised anywhere on the property, we only found out about the massages etc when one of the other guests sat down with a brochure. We were glad we did find out about the massages after a few hours spotting animals it was a well earned treat to come back to a wonderful massage. We would suggest they leave brochures out for guests to see, they would get plenty of business.
We hope to return to Africa and will return to RKL as part of our next trip and highly recommend anyone going to South Africa to stay at this wonderful resort with its wonderful staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hippo room and not disturbed by any noise. The rooms leading to the outdoor shower...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Staying at Royal Kruger Lodge will spoil you for staying anywhere else. The staff is sensitive, caring, helpful and more positive adjectives too numerous to mention. The food is wonderful, the guides are knowledgeable and so very helpful, the service is superb. The lodge is meticulously clean, the outdoor shower is dreamy.
In Marloth Park, unlike Kruger where you dare not get out of your car, you can walk about as the animals are less dangerous. Zebras come up to the patio, giraffes wander about on the edge of the property, warthogs dine on the front lawn.
Meals in the Boma are amazing. We always felt very special, as if we were close family. Definitely a class act!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cunnamulla, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

In November of this year I had one of the best weeks of my life. I have always wanted to go on safari in one of South Africa's parks when the opportunity came up for Kruger I took the chance and was not disappointed. Kruger Lodge has some of the best staff I know, their knowledge of their environment is amazing. We were lucky to have Robert as our guide, his ability to spot wildlife from a moving vehicle and a distance was amazing. Each tour made available was an eye opener from the Park safari to the elephant interaction. The elephant interaction was breath taking to be so close and able to touch an elephant was just awe inspiring. The sundowner drive we had with Bretton was a lovely way to wind down at the end of the day. Watching the elephants, giraffe and others come down to the river for a drink and a swim and listening to the grunts of the hippos was fantastic. He too has eyes like a hawk but for different animals such as lizards and snakes. On the way home spotting a chameleon on a tree branch for us too see up close. At the end of the day the lodge was always a welcome sight and a place you could relax and join your fellow travelers for a drink and enjoy the most amazing dinners provided for us by Monica who is a fantastic cook. Sade keeps the drinks flowing and can be relied upon for some animal experiences too. Just sitting at the lodge is also an experience and if you keep a look out plenty of animals pass through the gardens on their way to wherever. One of the largest warthogs I saw on the trip wanders through just on dark I named him big boy. We also had a visit from a mummy warthog with her 3 suckers, they came right up to us with no aggression just as curious as we were. Zebra, Kudu, Giraffe, baboon, tortoise, Duiker were also spotted wandering through the gardens. The Maputo tour was another experience we shared with BoyBoy who has a great personality and obviously loves what he does we had a great day. All in all I had the most amazing week and have the most awesome photos and could not recommend the lodge, staff and tours highly enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie M
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
To all our friends who have written reviews on Trip Advisor, we thank you and really appreciate your feedback. All the RKL Team love to read them.

There are just too many reviews to answer individually so if you are reading this, it applies to all review writers.

May we wish you all a very blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year. We hope we get to see you and your friends again in the not too distant future.

All the best and thank you.

Vic
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Luved every minute of our time at RKL. The food was delicious and lots of it- thanks to Julia :)
The open air safaris into Kruger National Park with the wonderful lodge staff -blew our minds with the sheer number of animals- including seeing the big 5! and the extreme knowledge and dedication of the lodge guides-Bretton, Rick and Robert.
Nothing was too much trouble - it was like being on holiday with friends we had known for years. And a very big thanks to Vic who gave us heaps of travel advise and must see places that made our time in Africa contain magic very single day!!
Bec and Cam (Australia)

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely with air conditioning and ensuites
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We chose the Royal Kruger Lodge after we found a deal on Groupon. I’m hasten to add, that in hindsight, we would have gone despite the deal, as it was such a fantastic experience.
I’d been on Safari before in Kenya and the lodge there was similar but owned by a huge chain. If you want spa’s, TV, lightening fast internet etc – Don’t stay here. If you want to be removed from that environment and placed in the centre of an outstanding National Park teeming with life, then this is the place for you. Each of the game drives (safaris), early morning/sunset walks you do, cannot fail to whet your appetite by seeing the fabulous wildlife that South Africa has to offer. They just leave you wanting to do more! The guides are hugely knowledgeable and do not fail to answer any questions you may have – No matter how stupid!
The facilities are comfortable and the lodge offers everything you need. The food is fantastic, rustic and homely. The staff are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable & delightful. Nothing is too much of a problem, and if you want to do something different, and not offered as the norm, just ask and they will go out of their way to help.
We ‘self drove’ from Johannesburg airport. To hire a small car was only £70 for the week. The drive took 4.5hrs on the way and 4hrs on the way back (familiarity). I’d highly recommend this option. It gave us the flexibility to go into town and down to the local shops in the area (amazing Biltong at the local butcher). We even took a day trip to Mozambique. Maputu the Capitol on the coast had the infamous prawns that we so desired for dinner.
Overall, a brilliant experience that far exceeded expectations. Well done & thanks Royal Kruger. I wish you all well.

Room Tip: * The rooms 'Leopard' & 'Lion' are nearest the outdoor shower. * Don't spen...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 32 in Marloth Park
La Kruger Lifestyle Lodge
La Kruger Lifestyle Lodge
#4 of 32 in Marloth Park

Been to Royal Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!