“Sunday lunch carvery”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is a great hotel and restaurant. Carvery was excellent all local produce. We go out regularly for Meal's and this far exceeded other restaurants. The sweets are hand made the pavlova was amazing. We have been twice and is well worth trip into Northumberland countryside truly outstanding food also cosy pub to relax in. We had our lunch in conservatory looking out to a most outstanding garden. Staff were brilliant too - highly recommend.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We have eaten here in the past and have always enjoyed the food but this time it was excellent!!! The crab was delicious and paired nicely with an English sauvignon blanc style white. I had the fish and my partner loved his beef cheek..the portions are not huge but just fill you up nicely. The 3 little desserts were perfect and a cheese board to share finished us off....very good, attentive, friendly staff ...will be back soon!

1  Thank Ruth290
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Visited for some lunch with my partner, my food was well presented and nice. Menu could do with some more choices eg fish. Reasonable prices. However I think the restaurant could do with a bit updating I found it quite dull.
the pub however was nice and homeley. If I was to visit again I would like to stay in the hotel as it is quite a drive with not much around.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Brilliant staff, food top quality, grown by themselves or sourced locally and absolutely delicious.
Could not fault this place in any way.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Went to The Battlesteads for my mum's birthday on Saturday 24 May. Went there because we had been there before for a meal and to stay there. No complaints in the past.

This time, what can I say. We had rang previously to check about the menu. The information given us was wrong, which we found out about when we got there. Found the lunch menu very limited. The quality of the food not brilliant. I had crayfish to start, very tasteless, with only the smallest amount of sauce to add any flavour. I then had Chicken Kiev. This was presented with a piece of chicken in breadcrumbs cut in half, with large pieces of garlic pushed into the middle. I like garlic, but this was too much and the chicken really dry. I won't go into detail on the other meals, but not good.

The place looked tired and shabby. The coverings on the chairs torn, not a good look. We were only there 3 months ago and it was not like this, what has happened? The service was ok, staff polite, but staff should be aware that if you say excuse me, as they are walking past, they should be careful that the customer cannot see them raise their eyebrows in annoyance for being asked something. Not very a good thing to do to your customers.

A bad experience that we would not want to repeat.

2  Thank marcollee