“Plush rooms”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Birmingham
“Plush rooms”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night as we attended a wedding reception there. We had a junior suite (Room 113 - £150) which was superb and worth the extra money by the sounds of the other reviews. We also saw another suite and ours was actually bigger so it would be worth requesting this room! It was very spacious, very plush, divine bed, large bathroom with separate shower cubicle and molten brown products - yum. It was well equiped for people staying on business as there was internet access, a separate desk and 2 sofas and coffee table.

We ordered breakfast in bed at an additional charge of £2.50 which I thought was cheap compared to other hotels I have stayed in. It was delicious and arrived promptly. The staff were very accommodating and we were allowed a late check out until 12pm free of charge.

I dont think I would necessarily stay here on holiday as there is nothing else to do other than golf but I would definately stay here on business or if I attended another funtion here or in the area. I have previously stayed at Breadsall Priory (on business) which is another simillar class hotel nearby and I preferred Morley Hayes.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — Lack of activities besides golf, would expect a spa in this type of hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Andrew04, Andrew Allsop Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2009
Thank you for your review and pleased you enjoyed the hotel. We have now teamed up with Virgin Active in Derby and are able to offer spa and gym facilities to all Morley Hayes Hotel guests. We provide a complimentary shuttle service to and from Virgin Active.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
England
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We stayed at Morley Hayes due to a wedding being held there. The hotel room was as expected for a hotel of this rating and included all the amenities you would expect. However, we did feel that the room was slightly overcrowded with furniture. The bed was a nice big size and was very comfy. (We did come back with bites on our feet????????) The tea tray was well stocked and there was lots of storage space. The view over the golf course was pleasant.
The bathroom was very small, to get to the toilet you had to walk into the bathroom and close the door behind you before you could reach the toilet. The Molton Brown products were a nice change. However, at £135 a night we would have prefered a cheaper bath product if the products reflect in the price!
The room and bathroom were clean but there could be some improvement in standards.
The breakfast room was small, but service was good. Unusually for a hotel these days you had to order your cooked breakfast and it was then delivered to your table. There was a wide range of choice and the meal was good.
Staff were friendly, especially the cleaning staff who went out of their way to help us.

• Liked — Very quiet
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Andrew04, Andrew Allsop Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2009
Thank you for your review of The Morley Hayes Hotel.

When the hotel is full rack rates are charged. However we do offer some great bargain breaks throughout the year.

Our breakfast room is of a good size, light and air conditioned. We now have a lovely outdoor terrace were breakfast can be served.

I am delighted our staff looked after you well
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I stayed at Morley Hayes in June, 2007. It was clean, comfortable with good breakfast service. The 2 golf courses had a lot of players and looked to be quite good.

The formal restaurant has good food and service. The pub needs work on the service particularly. Ordering is done at the bar and then delivered to your table. It could be very comfusing which registers were taking orders and which just had servers loitering there chatting while they waited for food to deliver. And when the bar was crowded it was even worse, trying to tell who was in line for ordering food, who wanted just drinks and and who had there drinks and were just leaning on the bar, talking.

One great thing about the hotel is the big parties are not held in the main bulding, so receptions, etc. don't impact too badly on the hotel guests.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank kathyfa
Thank you for your review of The Morley Hayes Hotel.

Since your visit Roosters Bar Restaurant has been totally refurbished.
It is now much easier to order meals.
A new menu has also been introduced. This uses alot of local fresh produce including beef reared on Morley Hayes's own farm and local cask ales.

Our constant staff training programme is working well and service is of an excellent standard.
Manchester
Reviewed December 24, 2006

No gripes about the hotel itself. But watch out for the on-site 'Roosters Bar food restaurant' which was really quite lousy.

I ordered a dish for myself and one for my wife at the till along with my friends. One of the dishes I ordered came and was fine.

The other dish had been entered incorrectly on the till so we had to wait quite a bit longer for that one to arrive.

When it did finally arrive the cod fish was burnt black on the skin side - they must have been in a rush and left the fish cooking unattended.

They then had the cheek to turn the fish so that it lay on its burnt side and cover the whole thing with sauce hoping we wouldn't notice - sadly the taste of carbon was so strong it was a little hard not to.

We thought it prudent to give up while the going was good(!) and just get a refund in the end.

Which brings me to the final complaint which was the fact that the dish that was entered incorrectly was 2 pounds more than the one I ordered (like most people I just paid and shoved the change in my pocket).

However at no point did they say they were going to give me back the difference. In fact I probably would not have spotted this had the fish not arrived so badly burnt that it made me ask for a refund.

The funny thing is the restaurant was not even running at full capacity when this happened. All in all a thumbs down from me.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Fred77
Andrew04, Andrew Allsop Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your meals in Roosters Bar.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced a few problems.

However since your visit we have appointed a new excellent chef, had a major refurbishment and invested substantially in staff training.

I am proud to say that the food and service is now of an excellent standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future
London
Reviewed October 25, 2006

I have been using the Morley Hayes hotel for about a year predominently for business use. This hotel is fabulous and acted as a home from home. The rooms are extremely well equipped, clean and spacious. The staff are accommodating and friendly. The breakfast menu is great - the hotel offers a cooked to order service. The views to the golf course are wonderful. The food in the Dovecote restaurant is very good and as an alternative to the restaurant, you can eat in the bar or room service.

If you are looking for leisure facilities, golfing is about your only option. The hotel doesn't have a leisure complex but the setting and the comfort here certainly makes up for that.

Our company has also used the conference facilities which are also very good.

I would recommend for business or leisure use. It's a pity there are not more hotels of this standard in the UK.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Havanah
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at Morley Hayes. As you stated we do not have leisure facilities at the moment but we have now teamed up Virgin Active in Derby and full leisure facilities are available to all Morley Hayes Hotel guests. We even provide a free shuttle to and from.
Monrovia, Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2006

After 2 weeks in a cottage in the lake district, sleeping on a tiny ancient mattress with abundant springs poking me in the back , the Morley Hayes Hotel came as a welcome relief.

The king size bed was incredibly comfortable. The room was well equipped, with sofa, chairs, table and a balcony overlooking the golf course. Bathroom was superb with a deep bath and separate shower cubicle with a fabulously powerful shower. Bed linens and towels were plush.

The Roosters bar had a separate smoking and non-smoking room which was very nice. We ate in the Dovecote Restaurant one night and the food was superb, although our steaks were more overcooked than we would have liked. breakfast was excellent, wonderful service, freshly cooked food on a piping hot plate.

The hotel in itself is wonderful, although I would have to add that people staying here at the weekend should be aware that the hotel hosts a number of weddings and that many of those inebriated wedding guests spend the night...

The first night we were woken up in the early hours by people yelling in the corridor, the second night, well after midnight we had an idiot hammering away on our door who was just too drunk or too stupid to realise he was at the wrong room and who wouldn't take no for an answer. The last morning we received a 6am alarm call we hadn't ordered.

The hotel needs a more effective night porter. I don't begrudge people celebrating and having a good time, what I do object to is when it interferes with my own right to a good nights sleep.

To sum up, Morley Hayes is a 5 star hotel which in it's facilities and service could not be faulted. Unfortunately when we were there, it had guests who did not know how to behave in that sort of environment.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Agathasmum
Thank you for your comments on your stay here at Morley Hayes.

We now have a policy were we accomodate non wedding guests on the lower floor which has totally stopped the unfortunate noice problems occuring.

I do apologise that you received an early morning call. We now have a new night manager who offers excellent and efficient service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Morley Hayes.
Derby, UK
Reviewed March 9, 2006

I stayed here for a friends wedding and would have no reason to stay otherwise as the hotel is only a 20 minute drive from home. I do make frequent visits for a meal in Rooster Bar though.
The hotel had only just opened when we stayed so everywhere was sparkling and fresh. Rooms are pleasantly decorated if a little bland and ours had a nice terrace with table and chairs outside. The bathroom though a bit small (shower curtain so tightly fitted it sticks to you - yuck!) was spotlessly clean and had good quality toiletries. Overall a very pleasant room, just nothing special.
Reception and bar staff were great - friendly and professional. Young, uninterested waiting staff, that unfortunately seem the norm in most hotels, let the side down a bit but all the food served at breakfast was very good.
If you're visiting Derby with a car i'd say this is a good place to stay, otherwise it's a good bit out of town. That also works to Morley Hayes advantage with lovely open views over the surrounding countryside.
A big plus for this hotel is Rooster Bar (in the main building across the road) - it's rare these days to find a hotel with good quality, reasonably priced pub food and drinks. There's no better setting on a nice sunny day than their beer garden, one of my favourite spots for an alfresco lunch!

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank Marcus C
Thank you for your review of The Morley Hayes Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Since your visit we have adjusted the shower curtain rail and now the problem of the curtain interferring with your shower does not occur.

All rooms have now been redecorated and the colours are rich and warm and certainly not bland any more.

Our Roosters courtyard has been upgraded with giant parasols and topiary trees. It is a beautiful alfresco dining area.

We are in a beautiful location just a few miles from Derby. We now offer a free shuttle service for any guests wishing to go to either Derby City Centre, the airport or railway station.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you again to The Morley Hayes Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
pentahotel Derby
pentahotel Derby
#4 of 29 in Derby
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,511 reviews
Premier Inn Derby City Centre (Cathedral Quarter)

Been to The Morley Hayes Hotel? Share your experiences!