“Best weekend golf”

The Morley Hayes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We came late to flooding at our other venue and this was spot on! Not only was the hotel food and rooms top class the course was excellent. To top it all the staff need a pay rise or pat on the back nothing was too much trouble for them absolutely superb thank you all of you from immingham ladies golf and with winning the Rhyder cup as well a great time was had by all thanks B.Malliband

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Betty
Thank you so much for the lovely review following your visit to Morley Hayes. I have passed on your comments to all the staff and given them a pat on the back!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I happened to be at this venue as I was facilitating some training for a local company and it was their preferred option having used Morley Hayes several times before.

Now I know why!

The rooms were spotless and comfortable. The food in the Dovecote Restaurant ranked highly. On the first evening I opted for the rather limited choice on the Table D'hote menu but what a treat I had.

After a few complimentary nibbles, I started with smoked duck breast and then fillet of Gilthead Bream and a trio of chocolate to finish with. I was so impressed with what I had received I braved to ask for a strong latte rather than simple coffee. When it came it was perfect - double shot. I later found out the head waiter had trained as a barrista at some point and it showed.

On the second evening we had a delegate menu to chose and the fish cake starter I chose was marvellous. I had fish again for the main course after the first night and a traditional rice pudding to finish with and was not disappointed. Memorable stuff.

By the way the spicy olives served as part of a pre-dinner entrée were a treat. One of the waiting staff over heard my comment on how much I liked the spicy ones and without prompt brought some more over. Now that is service!

Now on to the meeting room support. I was allocated Maureen to look after me and my delegates. Maureen was one of the more 'mature' members of staff and was so sweet and helpful I just wanted to cuddle her at times.

We were there for two days in all and on the second day I chose not to have breakfast, as I was full from eating in the Dovecote and I needed to prepare the room for the day after a brief lie in. By the way the cooked to order breakfast was delightful on day one.

In chatting with Maureen, she realised that I had forgone breakfast and offered to get me something to eat. In looking after me, she went out of her way to bring me a bowl of grapefruit segments from the restaurant in another building, to ensure I had something to eat before we started the day. If I had have had a gold star with me, I would have given it to Maureen.

Not only is this a great hotel and restaurant, it also boasts a championship golf course. Sadly I had left my gear at home in exchange for all the training equipment I cart around as part of my trainer tool kit so was unable to 'test' the greens. I did however take a sneak peek around the facilities and found they were well kept and the two tier club house had spectacular views across the Manor Golf course.

Thank you Morley Hayes. I have already suggested booking our annual golf pilgrimage to our golfing group so may see you next year as a golfing party. Forest Pines catering team would do well to come here and learn how to prepare great food for visitors.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Peter
Thank you so much for the wonderful review following your stay and training event here at Morley Hayes. We do have some great staff and as a family owned and run business this is our main focus. Maureen is so chuffed with your comments. It is now proudly on the staff room wall - with Maureen being highlighted in bright red!! We have 2 golf courses an 18 and 9 hole. An overview of both courses is on our website.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My old Grammar School in Heanor, Derbys. was 100 years old in September. I stayed for 4 days at the Morley Hayes Hotel where the reception lunch for the Old Students was held. I don't complain or complement too often but I have to say that my wife and I enjoyed our stay immensely. OK, I was in the region of my birth and childhood but everyone was friendly and keen to help. Everything was in the right place and the food was fabulous. It may not have been difficult to produce excellent food for the 2 of us or for the 12 old friends I invited to dinner but to produce and serve the same quality to the 132 Old Students was, in my opinion, exceptional.

1  Thank MJR736
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for the great review following your stay here at Morley Hayes. It is good to here that you enjoyed the School reunion. 100 years of The Heanor Grammer School is well worth celebrating. I do hope that my spelling and grammer are correct in this reply.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

An all round fantastic experience from start to finish. Expertly organised, all i had to do was notify them of what i wanted, how many people and everything else was taken car of. I've been on plenty of golf days and some of them feel like the golf club dont really want you there even though your spending alot of money with them. I can honestly say it was the complete opposite at Morley Hayes, staff were very helpful and friendly, food fantastic, course in very good condition and beer ice cold! Truly the only place to have a golf day out in the midlands!

Room Tip: Ask them when you get there which is the best room and is it unoccupied that evening. We got upgrade...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Ian
Thank you for the report following your golf day here at Morley Hayes. As a non member complex we are able to specialise in golf days without upsetting any members or commitees - as we don't have either.
An ice cold beer at the end of a challenging round is perfect
Best wishes and thanks

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Myself and my partner have just been to a friends wedding here and what a fantastic day we had :) the ceremony was beautiful as was the bride :) the views where lovely and the garden areas where very nice to sit in whilst photographs where taking place,staff where very friendly and helpful throughout the day especially the young waiting staff during the 3 course meal. The only negative thing was the pricelist of drinks but we expected this really. Overall very nice and would recommend to others x

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Laura

Thank you for the report following your stay at your friends wedding. It was a lovely day for them and delighted you enjoyed it to.
I am sorry you have awarded us 3 points due to the bar prices. They are current market prices and compare very favouably to even the pub down the road.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great venue for a golf trip. A group of 10 golfers stayed at Morley Hayes for a Sunday night break and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff were all very friendly, the food in the restaurant was high quality and the great breakfast set us up for the day. Everyone commented very positively on the spaciousness and comfort of the rooms. The golf course is not tight but challenging, especially in the rough! We have already agreed that we will be back again. Agree with other comments about postcode and finding the place, but if you use Morley Hayes GC rather than post code the satnav gets you there ok.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thank you for the review. We do use local produce for all our restaurants which is sourced on a daily basis. The course is now 20 years old and maturing very nicely. We continue to strive to improve the courses each year with tree planting, drainage and new bunkers.
The postcode!!! It has been a continual problem since opening over 20 years. The postcode of DE7 6DG covers an area of about 2 square miles. If anyone reading this report knows how to obtain a new postcode please let me know.
See you all next year

Reviewed September 10, 2012

i stayed here in June on a ladies golf weekend 28 of us. I had an executive room and it was lovely, own patio and quiet. Food was excellent, i had the pork both nights as I had enjoyed it the first night so much, service excellent especially as so many of us, breakfast cooked to order and also very good. Staff very friendly and professional i felt I was in a family run hotel.
weather was awful especially as we were there to play golf!! but it gives me a good excuse to go back with my husband. Golf course also good despite the mini hurricane!!!
All 28 of us were impressed and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Karen

Thank you for the kind report following your golf stay here at Morley Hayes. I do hope we can welcome you all back again next year - if not before!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Horsley
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield

Been to The Morley Hayes Hotel? Share your experiences!